[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished reading this in a quick two day stretch. Absolutely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Slaughterhouse-Five.jpg (328 KB, 1053x1600) Image search: [Google]
Slaughterhouse-Five.jpg
328 KB, 1053x1600
I just finished reading this in a quick two day stretch. Absolutely loved every word of it. I can't think of one negative thing to say.

What are some other /lit/ approved books that can be read over the expanse of a few days?
>>
I read this book because I had heard so many good things about it, but at the end I found myself saying "that's it?". It felt like a whole bunch of not much in particular going on. What am I supposed to get out of it? If anyone can tell me, I'd genuinely appreciate it.
>>
>>7796032
poor b8
>>
File: image.jpg (226 KB, 736x1396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226 KB, 736x1396
Pretty sure you'll do great with this
>>
>>7796037
For Vonnegut Slaughterhouse-Five was as much about the war as it was about mortality, morality, and the deep dark parts of human nature that can be tough to comes to grips with. Unlike most writers of the era, Vonnegut manages to remain humorous and playful in tone while simultaneously taking us to places not often spoken about in tones above a whisper. While others were writing terribly serious stories about the war, Vonnegut decided to write something purposefully silly and futile to show readers just how purposefully silly and futile war (and life, in a grander sense) really was.

You left thinking "That's it?" Well, that's what you're going to leave your life thinking, and Vonnegut wanted you to know it.
>>
>>7796056
You know, I was thinking of ways to articulate exactly why I loved that book.

You, my friend, have done just that. That was a splendid description, indeed.
>>
I didn't think I could love a book more than Orwell's 1984 until I read Slaughterhouse Five. It's a beautiful book. There are so many quotes that perfectly describe certain aspects of humanity, but these three always stood out to me:

- “I think you guys are going to have to come up with a lot of wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living.”
- "The visitor from outer space made a serious study of Christianity, to learn, if he could, why Christians found it so easy to be cruel. He concluded that at least part of the trouble was slipshod storytelling in the New Testament. He supposed that the intent of the Gospels was to teach people, among other things, to be merciful, even to the lowest of the low. But the Gospels actually taught this: Before you kill somebody, make absolutely sure he isn't well connected. So it goes."
- "She upset Billy simply by being his mother. She made him feel embarrassed and ungrateful and weak because she had gone through so much trouble to give him life, and to keep that life going, and Billy didn't really like life at all."
>>
>>7796056
>>7796062
>>7796073
upboats for all :)

where do i buy 4chan gold to gift you fine gentlemen?
>>
>>7796055
>>7796073
bout to get to my wagecuck job but thank you for your replies. I should have mentioned that I'm only now getting into reading and am still on the "beginner" level so this will help
>>
>>7796032
Stoner

Notes from underground
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.