[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone on this board read it? How was it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: 9780451532169.jpg (351 KB, 1248x2013) Image search: [Google]
9780451532169.jpg
351 KB, 1248x2013
Has anyone on this board read it?
How was it?
>>
It was a beatiful trip
>>
>>7792109
stale
>>
Short enough that you should be able to read it for yourself without needing someone to tell you about "how it is" first.
>>
No, not a single person who frequents a literature board has read one of the best literary works of all time
>>
>>7792109
Yeah, it's beautiful. Check this out. It looks nice, but shipping outside the US is 50 dollars. >>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2001070129/the-new-walden
>>
>>7792197
i don't know lil nigga, I haven't seen Walden being discussed here often
>>
>>7792109
y

it was good, just read it

>>7792197
>best literary works of all time
what a funny joke you just made

>>7792265
that's because there are millions of literary works and to discuss every one of even the most significant ones often we would need a ridiculously large userbase
>>
twiggy has
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2001070129/the-new-walden

I hope you all pledged
>>
>>7792109
I keep a Dover thrift edition of Walden I bought at goodwill in my bathroom and read it while I'm pooping.

It's great.

>>7792259
Is this the guy that was doing a dumbed down, sanitized translation? Glad to see he realized that was an awful idea.
>>
>>7792290
Do we really need a new edition of Walden with this guys annotations? Didn't he want to "remove offensive material" originally?

Please fuck off with shilling your kickstarter.
>>
>>7792109
It's a good book, but not exactly what you would consider thrilling. I would read it at a steady but slow pace.
>>
>>7792197
To be fair, Walden is only read by Americans.
>>
>>7792318
It was veiled as modernizing it, but essentially yes. He replaced "men" with "people" under the guise that modern audiences wouldn't respond to the original gender neutrality of the term "man". Even more idiotically he replaced "manliest" with "most personable" as if they are in any way synonyms. I honestly don't know how he managed to reason with himself that modern audiences wouldn't be able to respect or accept the word man in a 160+ years old text.
>>
>>7792109
Didn't age well as his reasoning why we should partake in the lifestyle he was trying to have are often silly and are coated with a tinge of awful snobbism. I couldn't care less about vague "one with the nature" arguments favoring his indulgences instead of different ones.
>>
>>7792290
>>7792259
shut the fuck up about this you idiots

we already had that one thread, we don't need it mentioned every time now
>>
>>7792358
>He replaced "men" with "people" under the guise that modern audiences wouldn't respond to the original gender neutrality of the term "man". Even more idiotically he replaced "manliest" with "most personable" as if they are in any way synonyms. I honestly don't know how he managed to reason with himself that modern audiences wouldn't be able to respect or accept the word man in a 160+ years old text.
jesus christ. world war 3 when?
>>
I thought I'd love it because I hate people and love the wilderness irl, but I actually found it very boring and gave up about a quarter of the way in. I was expecting some sort of over-the-top romantic prose about the beauty of nature, but instead he seemed to talk about his experience in a pretty straightforward and mundane way - I remember a few pages were just devoted to his shopping list.

Maybe I was a bit too young to appreciate it, I'd certainly like to try it again soon but I've already got a heap of books on my to-read list.
>>
>tfw having trouble reading it
Am I retarded or is the book actually somewhat difficult?
>>
Being russian, I find his language a bit difficult.
>>
>>7793145
Lmao upboated xD
>>
Thoreau's a cunt. It was alright.
>>
>>7795426
>>>/lgbt/
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.