[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alan Watts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: alan.jpg (275 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
alan.jpg
275 KB, 1252x1252
I've seen a bunch of his lectures, discussions and explanations and whatnot and he's an interesting man. He has written a shitton of books. What are his best books to start?
>>
File: horse1454932183681.jpg (96 KB, 480x452) Image search: [Google]
horse1454932183681.jpg
96 KB, 480x452
They are all the same, try any of them or none of them it doesn't matter either way. I have read some of This is It, some of The Book, and some of Become What You Are. I have never finished any of his books because they are all the same. He just restates his zen philosophy in a variety of different ways but when you get that he is pointing a finger toward the greater truth and that he actually cannot impart that truth directly to you, then there really is no point in finishing his book. He even admits this in his writing several times.
>>
>>7791532
Thanks. I'll pick up his two most famous books The Way of Zen and This is it second hand to see if it holds any sort of value to me and if it's new from his lectures and essays.
>>
>>7791540
No problem. Remember that Alan is only a guide. He is a good guide but he is still just a guide. He can't give you the answer. The nature of reality continues whether you are conscious of it our not. The end result of zen Buddhism is awareness.
>>
>>7791567
I only see others guides, not as heroes or target images. I've read quite a bit about zen buddhism like Siddharta and Tao Te Ching and I've been practicing meditation for almost a year now. Any other zen buddhist books you can recommend?
>>
>>7791575
echart tole takes the idea of eternal presence from zen budhism to some interesting places in his book the Power of Now. His other work is a bit to new agey for me.
>>
I've only read Nature; Man and Woman but it worked for me then.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.