[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Can't commit to writing a novel so you write short stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: squidward sad.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
squidward sad.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>Can't commit to writing a novel so you write short stories instead
>Fantastic idea for a story is too long to be anything but a novel

Who else is like this?
>>
>>7790929
Huh? Just write it a bit at a time. Or man up and commit to it. I dont understand your struggle.
>>
>>7790929
Novels tend to be overly-bloated creatures, usually coming into existence because the author couldn't learn to condense their prose, adding extraneous filler.

Borges never wrote a novel. He condensed that shit. Fuck novels.
>>
Pick one motherfucker, either pare the idea down so it's a suitable short story length or just write the fucking novel. Quit being a milquetoast inbetween faggot.
>>
>>7790939
I just lose interest in stories and rarely pick them up again. I've got an unfinished fairy tale loosely inspired by my grandfather's life story and what 's supposed to be an intentionally scandalous and likely made-up autobiography of Willy Wonka.

Neither of them have been touched since last year and never will despite how proud of them I was when I started

>>7790944
Are you the one who recommend Borges to me just the other day, or did /lit/ just suddenly start talking about him?
>>
>>7790953
>did /lit/ just suddenly start talking about him?
hahahahahahah
>>
>>7790961
I literally never heard him mentioned here before the other day, and I come here on a daily basis
>>
>>7790961
There has been a lot of Borgesposting recently
>>
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a novella a hybrid of a novel and a short story?
>>
>>7790968
Its just a longer short story, instead of one "episode" of progression it could be two or three. While a novel has twice as many.
>>
>>7790972
Sooooooo, it's a hybrid :)
>>
>>7790968
Not really. Novellas are short novels but they're still at least 80 pages or so. the difference is tremendous. The story I was working on would cap out around 30 at most
>>
>>7790976
If you insist on calling it that, sure,

but thats like saying a bowl is a combination of a plate and a pot. They just have different functions and its honestly not a hard-set standard.
>>
>>7790977
So you just write long "short" stories. You could invent your own term for such a thing.
>>
>>7790964
I really can't see how that's true, Borges has been discussed on here regularly for years
>>
>>7790981
Great simile.
>>
>>7790929

You should feel good.

>Write only novels, can't think of simple, straightforward ideas
>all the creative writing contests want short stories or poems
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.