[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 333x500
When looking for this at the library I could only find it in audiobook form. With 31 compact disics a grand total of 39 hours long.

Is this okay? To listen to this book or do I need to read it to get it?
>>
>>7790377
>do I need to read it to get it?

you don't need to do anything. do you want to engage with the written word? read. are you in the mood for some storytelling? listen

dumb question dummy
>>
>>7790393
I'm sorry, the book has a reputation.
I'm not dumb rude Anon.
>>
Do you want to read 300+ pages of detailed murders or listen?

Well worth the experience either way. Great book.
>>
>>7790419
Yeah I'm exited, just listening in my car.

Which would you prefer anon?
>>
>>7790428
Personally, I take a little longer to understand certain things when I read so I go back quite a few times. So, the physical copy was very nice.

THE PARTS ABOUT THE CRIMES is the most talked about section of the book and with reason. It's very long. As someone who can sit through quite a lot, the descriptions that Bolano goes through for the women are draining. It is one after another, horror after horror, and the realization that Juarez is what inspired the fictional city, makes it that much more difficult.
>>
>>7790410
i know bb, i know ;)
>>
>>7790428
Not him, but I would urge you to read the book rather than listen to it. However I'd say the same for any book.
>>
I prefer audiobooks to things that I don't think to have as much gripping detail or focus on dialogue, most of the entry-level type stuff that I never got around to in high school I recently read on long drives. For a long novel that I'd like to reread certain parts and spend a little more time, I'd prefer to read the written word. You can go through Interlibrary Loan to get a book anon.
>>
>>7790377
Better yet, record yourself taking a shit. Then put that on a loop and listen to it on repeat. Itll be more fascinating and deep.
>>
>>7790527
I think I'll listen to all of it or as much as I can. Then buy the book, I know I'm gonna miss some by just listening to it

>>7790791
I'm not taking about Gravity's Rainbow anon
>>
buy all means listen to it if you have the capacity to listen that intently, i know i'd lose focus and zone out and audiobooks are harder to rewind to an exact spot than just rereading a certain passage again

i'm almost at the end of the 2nd part, and i'm really enjoying it, so it's well worth the listen or read depending on which you'd prefer to do (or both)
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.