[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me if this sounds plausible. Finnegans Wake (Like The Divine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 640x490) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 640x490
Tell me if this sounds plausible.

Finnegans Wake (Like The Divine Comedy and Ulysses) is encyclopedic.

It is an encyclopedia of The Forbidden, forcing it's readers to stretch their imaginations using obscure and often occult bodies of knowledge and the lost, bardic tradition of Irish poetry.

The result becomes a fall down the rabbit hole, which you couldn't survive long.without a sense of play and humor.

There's more, but those are some fundamental thoughts at the moment.
>>
What is Ulysses the encyclopedia of?
>>
>>7789303
dublin

>>7789295
it sounds trite and banal. what are you trying to say? "encyclopedia" as a descriptor of literature is so cliche by this point that it should only be used extremely sparingly and judiciously.
>>
>>7789303
edgy riddles ;)
>>
>>7789315
I could've guessed as much, yeah, but U and FW are usually considered some sort of odd pair, counterparts along a couple lines. I was wondering if that held for him, with that question.
>>
ok McLuhan
>>
What if HCE is bloom?
Then Rudy is Shaun, and Stephen is Shem, Milly is Issy, Molly is Anna
>>
>>7789366
what if HCE is harold bloom?
Then Rudy is DFW, and Stephen is Pynchon, Milly is Mira, Molly is Gassposter
>>
>>7789350
OP here, this made me chuckle.

>>7789315
It's still very common to refer to certain forms of literature as being "encyclopedic". I'm using it "judiciously".
>>
OP again.

John Bishop, James Atherton, and Harold Bloom have each suggested a fascination in the book with occultism. It's a book about a dream and the night. I don't think it's too absurd or banal.
>>
>>7789392
no you're not. it's cliche precisely because it's so common.

if you want to call FW encyclopedia you're gonna have to back that up more precisely instead of vague assertions about "forcing readers to stretch their imaginations"
>>
>>7789542
I'm not him, but the encyclopedic nature of it is self-evident to the point of not even really needing to be mentioned. It involves a number of languages, puns that make references to all sorts things from world history, philosophy, Christianity, Greek mythology, Norse mythology, Irish folklore, etc.
>>
>>7789542
So what does constitute a judicious use of encyclopedic relative to the novel?
>>
OP. Everyone understands that it deals with the occult, no one ever denies that, fuck its about the afterlife its just a part of it, that's not a very original (not that originality exists shitposters) idea.

I suppose its encyclopedic yes, exactly what >>7789760 said, no one is really arguing that either.

You said tell me if this sounds plausible, then gave a well-agreed upon information with no claim. I'm interested in what you're saying but what are you saying? What is the point if is an "encyclopedia of the forbidden", whatever the hell that means.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.