[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a lot of stories that I would like to put on paper, mostly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1392984226064.jpg (467 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1392984226064.jpg
467 KB, 1920x1080
I have a lot of stories that I would like to put on paper, mostly medieval fantasy, but without panderings and market foresight (that is, without any gary/mary sue or identifiable teen power trip) but not as bad as, let's say, chronicles of ice and fire or something.

So, besides writing, how do I become a writer?
>>
You write out those stories and fix what doesnt work.

What are you looking for specific materials to help?
>>
>>7787188
>besides writing, how do I become a writer

Read

a lot
>>
>>7787197
That would be good, either something about the experience of writing or any "trick" for writing.
>>
>>7787188
reading and writing, that is it.
and thinking
>>
>>7787214
the only trick that exists is realizing that more or less no one ever published their first draft.
>>
Read a lot. If possible you should get some sort of humanities degree.
>>
>>7787246
That I already got by myself. Over the last three years I have tried to write a bio for about 11 characters for one of the stories I want to write, and I ended up changing 4 of them entirely, deleted 3 and inserted a new one. Yet I'm still just over a not pleasant prologue.

>>7787250
Tried once, got a scholarship for english, very easy. Terminated it after 3 months out of boredom.
>>
>>7787214
John Gardern's Art of Fiction will be a huge help then.

After that you might like Lajos Egri''s Art of Dramatic writing for more info on managing plot and characters.
>>
>>7787267
>Tried once, got a scholarship for english
where?
>>
>>7787282
Brazillian college, Monte Serrat.

>>7787268
Thanks, that'll help.
>>
>>7787188
Post your prologue dude, I wanna read it
>>
>>7787852
Days pass by after I won the tournament, yet I'm still imprison, I should have return home, why even bother with the dramatics, if they are going to kill me in the end? Why not kill me after I just won, I wouldn't have suspected it, a golden opportunity lost forever, probably some elite is furious that a low-class won the tournament. Then again that is to be assumed, they are dangerous as they are pompous.

I never once consider myself to be a person of morality. I could never fathom it, why waste time on what's good and evil? That is to say, I was never a person who delighted on seeing people suffer, but perhaps how my people behave, it is only reasonable to assume, that I would partake in something so savage. And my only response will be, I did what was necessary for the survival of my tribe, no more no less. Even now as I contemplate on the action I took, I have noticed, considers the actions of my opponents, perhaps being “moral” during a life and death struggle, would only be idiotic.

It also left me to wondering about the foreign people, do they keep believing the world is only defined in good and evil, because that was what they were taught as children? Or rather they never been in a situation that wasn't define as either? Perhaps they are hypocritical, it really doesn't matter now, they already label me as a bloodthirsty monster. I guess it all comes down to one fact: In the end, in a game were someone is a pawn no one really "wins".
>>
>>7787858
It's okay i guess, maybe the thing about "It also left me to wondering..." is kinda cringe, maybe write it in a more indirect way.
Also, i would advise a more variety of short and long sentences, kinda 'exhausting' to read :)
>>
Ice and Fire... It took me ages to get to the 5th book and suddenly I lost interest in it.

That shit just goes on and on and on and on....I am a retard?
>>
File: 1457349238488.png (642 KB, 726x1040) Image search: [Google]
1457349238488.png
642 KB, 726x1040
>>7787918
Ice and Fire... It took me ages to get to the 5th book and suddenly I lost interest in it.

That shit just goes on and on and on and on....I am a retard?
>>
>>7787188
You go back to redit is what you do.
>>
>>7787925
sure showed him
>>
>>7787188

I've found the easiest thing to do is get a ghost writer. I spent 10 years just working on the world I was imagining, and then picking random parts to fit a story in. I give my ghost writer the basic plot, and they fill it all in around it.
>>
>>7788044
rip
>>
Writing a book about the nature of good and evil, In a pseudo-fantasy type way. do you think that will be good
>>
>>7787918
Yes.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.