[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this so great again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: joyce-ulysses.jpg (281 KB, 965x947) Image search: [Google]
joyce-ulysses.jpg
281 KB, 965x947
Why is this so great again?
>>
Because you're so stupid as to ask.
>>
>>7782737
It was an honest question, anon. I'm thinking about reading it since I finished Dublinees this weekend.
>>
>>7782677
Because it assigns a human body part to each chapter.
>>
>>7783017
And a colour, and an art, and a style, and an hour, and so on
>>
>>7782677
Because it have fart jokes
>>
>>7782677
A divine work of art. Greatest masterpiece of 20th century prose. Towers above the rest of Joyce's writing. Noble originality, unique lucidity of thought and style. Molly's monologue is the weakest chapter in the book. Love it for its lucidity and precision.
>>
>>7783009
Read Portrait of the artist as a young man first. You should also have read hamlet, and maybe the bible and the odyssey.
As for why it's good, it's probably the most memorable and unique novel I've ever read. I really don't know how to say WHY it's good, but I loved it
>>
>>7783029
>implying the monologue is weak
>implying finnegans wake isn't his magnum opus
>>
>>7783043
>finnegans wake

A formless and dull mass of phony folklore, a cold pudding of a book. Conventional and drab, redeemed from utter insipidity only by infrequent snatches of heavenly intonations. Detest it. A cancerous growth of fancy word-tissue hardly redeems the dreadful joviality of the folklore and the easy, too easy, allegory. Indifferent to it, as to all regional literature written in dialect. A tragic failure and a frightful bore.
>>
>>7783027
/thread
Also cuckolding.
>>
>>7783053
you are a faggot
>>
>>7783053
Is this one of those meme Nabokov reviews?
>>
Someone suggested Flann O'Brien as a more accessible similar writer, was he right?
>>
>>7783043
>>7783074

>being this new
>>
>>7783110
I have been memed
>>
>>7783094

lol.

Enjoyable frivolity. Fun with words. That can only take you so far.
>>
>>7783124
how long have you been on /lit/?
>>
File: nabbed.jpg (62 KB, 411x395) Image search: [Google]
nabbed.jpg
62 KB, 411x395
>>7783029
>pedophile opinions
>>
>>7783154
Long enough to know it used to be better
>>
>>7782677
Because the guy is Irish so all Irish made lobbying
>>
Been reading it since last week. Loved Proteus and Hades. Reading Sirens now.
>>
File: vladimir-nabokov.jpg (39 KB, 411x395) Image search: [Google]
vladimir-nabokov.jpg
39 KB, 411x395
>>7783053
>finnegans wake
>conventional

Thanks nabby
>>
Did this book make you a better writer/reader, /lit/?
>>
>>7784294
It made me hate myself and everything I had ever written.

I love you, Joyce, you cheeky bastard.
>>
>>7783053
>you tried so hard and got so far but in the end you're still a faggot
>>
It's not bad. Joyce wasn't that complex however, for the most part.

An Irishman with an unhealthy obsession with farts, a chip on his shoulder about the English and who couldn't make proper use of punctuation if his life depended on it.
>>
>>7784374
:^)
>>
>>7783053
>phony
You sound euphoric.
>>
>>7783053
Take a pill Nabokov
>>
>>7784337
This.
>>
>>7782677
Memes have a special place in everyone's heart
>>
>>7783009
>Dublinees, by Jimmy Jonks
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.