[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of elves?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7
File: tauriel.jpg (31 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
tauriel.jpg
31 KB, 640x360
What does /lit/ think of elves?
>>
>>7778845
>i am one

they should have stayed ugly and mischievous, they've just become the atheist's answer to nymphs
>>
>>7778853
embarassing tripfag desu
>>
>>7778845
I'm angry about them
>>
>>7778859
:^)
>>
>>7778853
Please tell me what this horrible writing excerpt is from.
>>
>>7778853
I would have said "Oh, just one of their descriptive scenes that seep into ones subconscious, I guess"
But that was amusing

Need to get back to my Herzen.
>>
File: It's just letters.png (9 KB, 260x52) Image search: [Google]
It's just letters.png
9 KB, 260x52
>>7778937
it's hilarious lol

it's from amundsen by alice munro, published in Dear Life
>>
>>7778845
overblown and overused.
>>
File: 1372395457891.jpg (9 KB, 275x142) Image search: [Google]
1372395457891.jpg
9 KB, 275x142
>>
File: Spock summons Satan.gif (954 KB, 330x220) Image search: [Google]
Spock summons Satan.gif
954 KB, 330x220
>>7778845
Never been an otherkin, but enjoyed them for a time in my younger fantasy reading days.
>>
>>7778845
good only for eroge
>>
File: 1453701159442-1.jpg (748 KB, 3000x2036) Image search: [Google]
1453701159442-1.jpg
748 KB, 3000x2036
I don't buy the 'overused' argument.

However, 99% of the time they're basically 'Humans, only better.'

Gets dull. People completely misunderstood Tolkien's elves, and many shitty 'Elven' races were born from that misunderstanding throughout fiction.
>>
mary sue species who still get to mope about how SAD it is to be perfect and pretty and immortal..revolting,
>>
Read Tolkeins introduction to the Silmarillion. He had a deep thematic reason for elves and it works brilliantly.
Nobody else should use same device, especially because they just think "they like humans but like old and stuck up and like magic and shit"
A story shouldn't contain bullshit that doesn't tie to the goal of the story.
Basically Tolkein was great and copycats are shit. Unsurprising.
>>
they're like smug parisian philosophers to the dwarfs honest german engineering
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.