[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do you buy your books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 1443874412563.jpg (2 MB, 1345x1450) Image search: [Google]
1443874412563.jpg
2 MB, 1345x1450
Where do you buy your books, anon?

I'm tired of reading books on a computer, I want to feel the book, I want to smell the old and sticky pages.

Where is recommended to buy used books without getting Jewed? There seems to be a lot of websites for it but which are /lit/ approved for both reliability/quality and price?

Oh yeah I'm in Canada, since it seems many provide free/cheap shipping to the US but then for Canada it costs 3 times as much.
>>
>>7778596
>sticky pages
Trust me, you don't want those.
>>
>>7778603
Where do i buy used books for cheap senpai
>>
>>7778596
abebooks, usually, or alibris occasionally. also ebay if i can find a cheap shot or two. I'm currently lookin for a copy of Faerie Queene and Don Juan
>>
>>7778596
You can get used books for a penny on Amazon. Just make Amazon prime accounts for free shipping.
>>
>>7778647
Abebooks and Alibris looks good for Amerilards and UK-commies but for Canada it doesn't really seem all that good desu price-wise.

Hows the service on them? Do they usually arrive as described? I've heard quality and condition varies greatly depending on seller and your luck, making it sometimes a good deal and sometimes not.

I mostly want to buy /biz/ and finance books anyways, seems like most can be snatched up for ~$10 usd or so, although some are rarer and can be pricy.
>>
>>7778667
>You can get used books for a penny on Amazon

How and where?
>>
well?
>>
File: 1452209845343.gif (2 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1452209845343.gif
2 MB, 200x200
>buying
>>
>>7778743
>Hunching over a computer monitor to read books instead of sitting in a comfy chair next to the fireplace, with a hot chocolate and a fedora

>NOT having a book you can pull out at any moment to refer to

You are a cuck
>>
>>7778682
>how
You buy them from Amazon.
>where
On Amazon.
>>
>>7778762
I meant the
>For a penny
Part.

They're all pretty expensive compared to other book websites desu.
>>
File: 1452210726736.gif (2 MB, 236x285) Image search: [Google]
1452210726736.gif
2 MB, 236x285
>>7778754

>implying
>not stealing books from thrift stores
>buying paperback at retail price plus tax
>buying books that are freely available on the internet
>not owning a comfortable e-reader
>killing a tree just so you can sleep at night
>>
>>7778785
>Killing a tree
>The book already exists in print and even if no one buys it won't bring a branch of the tree that was chopped off back

Retarded lmao.
>>
File: Bashar-al-Assad-President-001.jpg (18 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Bashar-al-Assad-President-001.jpg
18 KB, 460x276
>>7778793

>buying
>>
>>7778802
>Being so poor you can't afford <$20 for a book that grants you knowledge

Are you literally a NEET? Even if you were, you probably spend that much on Steam games you never play anyway, so why not a book whose knowledge is invaluable?
>>
>>7778812

>not buying
>not liberating knowledge for free online
>>
>>7778822
>Not just spending a tiny amount of money which isn't even noticeable to anyone who is not a NEET in order to purchase a book and read it comfortably instead of staring into a screen

Just stop
>>
>>7778826
>not pirating an comfy audiobooks from underground private trackers for free
>buying large textbooks which can easily be compressed and perused through document viewers
>>
>>7778826
dude we have e-readers and if it isn't available we buy used books
but whatever, keep buying new books, there has to be someone funding my collection
>>
>>7778826
go paint a cave or something
>>
>>7778847
I have, but it's not the same thing, anon.

I used to be le penny-pinching NEET but then I realized that spending $20 for something which grants me more knowledge than that isn't a big cost at all.

>>7778851
>but whatever, keep buying new books, there has to be someone funding my collection

I'M TALKING ABOUT USED BOOKS YA IDIOT.

I'm not saying new books, jesus christ. Unless they\'re the same price ofc, which some are on Amazon.
>>
>>7778862
didn't read the thread
i just go to the shop
they have good stuff for $2
too bad you live in a shit city
>>
>>7778865
>tfw toronto

;-;

Searching for hours for a memay book isn't really worth it imo anyway tho. Much easier to save the time and just buy it for $15 with shipping online.
>>
>They don't buy brand new signed and autographed books from their favorite dead authors

Cucks, the lot of ya.
>>
>>7778793
>buy book
>publisher prints more copies of said book
>trees be deaded
>>
>>7778954
>CAring about some faggot trees

Who cares lmao
>>
>>7778966
don't give a fuck about trees was just pointing out how stupid >>7778793's logic is
>>
>>7778972
I think he was talking about Used books. Which have already been produced.
>>
>>7778596
what the fuck is the idiot doing in that list?
>>
>>7778985
I think it's some /biz/-philosophy or something
>>
I buy used books from a local store, $3-6 depending of the pages
>>
WHERE TO BUY USED BOOKS IN CANADA
>>
>>7778778
some used books are dirt cheap on there for example

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0195097424/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
>>
Amazon and Barnes

I prefer digital
>>
>>7778871
Are you fucking retarded.

BMV
The handy book exchange
Seekers
>>
>>7779049
Value village, or talize is where I go. Better selection, and cheaper than most actual used book stores.
>>
>>7778596
For most common stuff I just borrow from the library. I get the rest from abebooks and Amazon, and occasionally I buy stuff from thrift stores or library book sales.
>>
Library sales, every spring and fall I attend them and come out with big stacks for cheap and that more than tides me over. And if it's something I have no chance of finding there I'll get it off barnes and noble though the inevitable gift cards for my birthday and Christmas which covers summer and winter.
>>
>>7779278

OP you are retarded, there's tons of good used book shops in TO

3 BMVs
Elliot's Books
ABC Books
Seekers
Ten Editions on Spadina
Type Books
Also, hit up the U of T booksales in the fall, especially the Victoria, University, and Trinity sales. Extremely good shit for rock bottom prices.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.