[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing a battle scene - any tips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
I'm having a lot of trouble writing battle scenes. Does anyone have any tips to share? The period is late-antiquity early-dark ages.
>>
>>7777267

>The period is late-antiquity early-dark ages.

Of course it is.
>>
H O M E R
O
M
E
R
>>
Keep it short, brief, and concise. Nothing is worse than going on and on about the banal actions each character undertakes in a battle (e.g., X swung the sword while Y dodged. X then threw a falcon-punch toward Y's face, etc, etc.)
>>
I've read an Illiad battle scene, was weird as fuck and Gods intervene.
>>
>>7777283

Well you can hardly have a 'battle' in the modern day with all the guns.
>>
>>7777267
>Does anyone have any tips to share?
Yes. Don't.
Stop writing historical fiction.
>>
>>7777267
There needs to be pee and poo and blood and vomit.
>>
File: image.png (227 KB, 525x350) Image search: [Google]
image.png
227 KB, 525x350
>>7777290

Are you high?! That's the best bit.

OP see The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie - that's how you write battles
>>
>>7777300
Why?
>>
>>7777267
Joe R Lansdale writes good fight scenes. Try one of the Hap and Leonard books.
>>
>>7777364
its bad 4 ur soul
>>
>>7777267
>Dark Ages
How I know you are a retard. I mean I knew that from the words 'battle scene' because it implies genre fiction, but 'dark ages' solidifies things.
>>
"As I slowly contemplated drawing my pistol, my adversary had the same thought manifesting in his itchy fingers. Every drop of sweat could be heard, every expression subtle or not could be observed. Finally, a reason to draw my gun. The gong of the antiquated town clock, the swift shift of counternance forced me to grip the hilt of my Colt. Today, we die. We both drew and fired, almost instantaneously, like disciplined soldiers we fired, and in perfect synchronization as if we were led by a hidden choreography, we both fell, lifeless, grasping for a few moments, savoring the few moments of sweet air we had left until eventually we crawled into the center, meeting in gentlemanly surrender, we held hands and accepted our fate together.
>>
The only battle scenes I've liked were from Taras Bulba by Gogol. Seemed like the only parts of the battle described were ones that had emotional or physical consequences for the main characters, and was descriptions of specific individuals in the battle, not meandering descriptions of whole battalions and stuff. I don't read a lot of stuff with battles so I have no clue why I liked them, but they're the only ones I've read that stand out.
>>
>>7777364
Because it's a shitty genre. It has to be. How could anyone write a good book about a time he has not expirienced?
Also, HF is usually always filled with clichés and historical inaccuracies. Your book won't be any different.
Just stop and write about something you expirienced. You know, something that a reader can apply to his own life.
>>
>>7777530
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
The most important part is perspective
Are you trying to see the battle from a distance?
Or are you trying to keep it confined to a single character?
If it's the latter, realize that battles are rather confusing affairs and it's not likely the character will comprehend much beyond what they are directly looking at.
>>
>>7777530
>What is fiction?
>>
>>7777530
Yes, because Dante literally walked through Hell, Purgatory and Paradise in order to write his poem.
>>
Try to incorporate some kennings. Sea of swords, forest of spears and the like.
>>
>>7777598

>Recommending that people steal my shit

No.
>>
>>7777588
But Dante had at least some connection to hell. In a sense that he believed that he might go there after death.
People who write historical fiction usually just 'want to tell a story'. The result is always cancerous.
>>7777579
Heh, all good fiction is based on experience in one way or another.
>>
>>7777669
If that's true then explain Mason and Dixon by Pinecone.
>>
>>7777364
Unless you have an unhealthy obsession with the historical events your referencing, Its going to feel shallow
>>
Your book is going to be shit because you used the phrase dark ages
>>
>>7777297
*tips*
>>
>>7777267
You could, you know... read period sources?

Do you want tips on writing on tips on historical accuracy?
>>
>>7777669
Soldier of the Mist and Gates of Fire was pretty gud
>>
>>7777314
Go home Anon, you're drunk.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.