[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Conversation--Kurosawa and Garcia Marquez http://articl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: Capture.jpg (29 KB, 516x363) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
29 KB, 516x363
The Conversation--Kurosawa and Garcia Marquez

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-23/entertainment/ca-2154_1_akira-kurosawa

/tv/ 1
/lit/ 0
>>
I have no problem admitting Kurosawa has more worth relative to me than Marquez.
I don't see this as controversial.
>>
>>7769981
pretty flaccid opinion then desu

why bother making a post at all?
>>
>/tv/ 1
>/lit/ 0
?
>>
>>7771716
you know what else is flaccid?

my life
>>
>that time Cormac McCarthy told James Franco to stuff it

/tv/ 1
/lit/ 1
>>
>>7771781
it expresses itself properly tho so good job
transmute this towards your art instead of 4chan posting and you might redeem yourself
>>
>>7769966
I read Kundera instead of Marquez for some reason and was going to say how much better Kurosawa is compared to Kund.
>>
García Marquez was right but the way he went about it was really dickish.
>>
>>7771716
10/10.
>>
>>7771782
I want to believe this really happened but I really don't think it did.
>>
>>7769966
So let me get this straight.

You think that because in 1991, 25 years ago, one director was interviewed by one author and that the outcome of the interview makes this a victory for a Bangladeshi-interactive-filmbook-forum, 25 years later?

You some kind of faggot?
>>
this is actually pretty interesting, thx OP
>>
I feel like OP didn't actually read this interview about Hiroshima.
>>
>>7772251
what do you mean? who would, after reading, give dime for that marquez hack? the incredible distance between the two of them could not be huger. my favorite line is when the columbian ignoramus asks if a long period of happiness, instead of recognition and apology, could not compensate for all the damage.

like chuang tzu would have said, you cant talk about the ocean to a well toad.
>>
>>7772501
He just wanted to make him talk, that is obviously not his opinion, he hates the US. Shit nigger lrn2 read
>>
>>7772501
no, marquez is right. kurosawa is just a bitter japanese nationalist. what does it matter to any japanese person if they get an apology. it's just political posturing. marquez understands it's the human life that matters, their happiness, and not empty gestures and hollow words.
>>
File: high-low.jpg (9 KB, 325x182) Image search: [Google]
high-low.jpg
9 KB, 325x182
>>7772967
>>7772976
you are right from the point of view of marquez. but my point is that point of view is as limited as his limited life is. kurosawa is concerned with humanity as such not with historical or merely practical survival issues.
thus, the issue is not about "hate", kurosawa did not in the least hated us, nor is it about "human life" or "happiness", as a happy and abundant material life but a miserable one as a culture or as an individual is worse than death.

again, the well toad is fine in his well and, if he wont ever leave it, he needs not nor will he be able to conceive of the ocean.
>>
>>7769966
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/miyazaki_moebious.html

/a/ 1
/co/ 0
>>
>>7773242
I thought Miyazaki and Moebious were bros?
>>
>>7771716
You're right.
Marquez is fucking dogshit! Magical realism is the worst expression of pedestrian sensibility. Kurosawa wins by default, only because he's slightly less shit. And more memes.
>>
>>7773281
they are.

Do people even read in this board?
>>
File: moebius.jpg (117 KB, 487x700) Image search: [Google]
moebius.jpg
117 KB, 487x700
>>7773291
They were
Moebius is ded
>>
>>7773291
I only read Korean rice etchings.
>>
Give me a tl;dr because

Ozu > Mizoguchi > Kurosawa
>>
>>7773338
Kobayashi > all of them
>>
File: 1441575789604.gif (360 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1441575789604.gif
360 KB, 480x480
>>7773140
You're pretty haughty for someone defending a man afraid of a part of nature like any other. García Marquez is stuck in the practical, but Kurosawa is biased due to his circumstance; it's only nuclear power he is against, other aspects of progress, such as the thing that made the mining town that mesmerised him in its transcient condition, he does not condemn. García Marquez point on electricity is spot on--for all the people that suffered in Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Chernobyl, many more were destroyed by gunpowder, nerve gas, war machinery or the plain advance of civilization. And how many more did those same technologies feed and kept from cold? All Kurosawa has to say is that that is somehow a power beyond what Man should grasp--he's being supersticious, the truth is that people will likely find a way to fuck themselves up uranium or no.
>>
>>7773140
>a happy and abundant material life but a miserable one as a culture or as an individual is worse than death
But he never justified this. He's basically saying the ocean is more important than the fish.
>>
wait this is just two friends having a reasonable conversation
>>
>>7773561
It is, maybe an interview, but OP wants to make it an us vs Them thing for some reason
>>
>>7773471
again, you are right from marquez's pov. but kurosawa is not limited by the mere here and now but sees it as conditioned by larger principles of which we cannot be master. yeah those technologies are liable to cause "good" or "bad", but the point is that the arrogance of man leads him into thinking he can fully control this. he cant, even if in the short term it seems so. but anyway, that is not even the main point, just the visible portion of it in that conversation. i guess one sees it or not... like a joke, it is pointless to explain.

>>7773548
it is something that needs no justification. we have just been led astray and dont see it anymore, or rather ignore its manifestations.

>>7773561
i dont think the name of marquez would come up if you were to ask kurosawa for his real friends.
>>
>>7774371
>kurosawa is not limited by the mere here and now but sees it as conditioned by larger principles of which we cannot be master.
And one of these larger principles is the fact that man will work for his own demise as he works for his prosperity. It's you that can't see the bigger picture and so think others don't "get it". I understand his point just fine, it's just that it's bullshit because he thinks of nuclear power as this unnatural power humans shouldn't tamper with, like it is somehow better to manipulate other aspects of our enviroment! Like it is fine that man should be a master at all, even of himself! As if the transciency of his technological control were different from the rest of all changes! Warning people who abuse nature in order to extend their lives, to not abuse nature in order to extend their lives, is complete folly.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.