[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do plebs like this book so much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: greatgatsby.jpg (77 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
greatgatsby.jpg
77 KB, 534x800
why do plebs like this book so much
>>
Its plot most likely.
Easy to understand the depth and meaning of it too.
That's why.
>>
WWII
>>
>>7768723

>why do plebs like this book so much
>plebs

There's your answer.
>>
Because they were forced to read it in high school
>>
>>7768786
What depth and meaning? (serious question)
>>
>>7770543
Gatsby's trying to evoke the past to life, but he doesn't realize that it's possible, because times have changed.
Yeah, it's about that simple.
>>
>>7770566
*that it's not possible
>>
what if someone enjoys this as much as your highbrow postmodern lit
have you ever thought about that
or do you only say these things because you're trying to sound smart, above common literature
>>
Hunter S. Thompson said it was the great American novel.
>>
>>7768723
Because it's accessible and entertaining. It's not bad but like most things that are accessible it'll be overrated by virtue of the sheer number of people who like it.
>>
>>7770566
Right, so how is that deep? If anything, it is pathetically juvenile for a middle-aged man to have the attitudes and expectations that Gatsby did.
>>
>>7770595
Why do plebs like Hunter S Thompson so much?
>>
>>7770670
Have you read the book?
The man's a damn manchild and cannot initiate a conversation with a lady he liked a couple of years ago. It's just that he wants her back to his life.
Also, it's not deep like I read-between-the-lines said. Very easily accessible.
>>
>>7770691
Yes, I've read the book.

>The man's a damn manchild and cannot initiate a conversation with a lady he liked a couple of years ago.

That's my point.

>Very easily accessible.

So that makes it good?
>>
>>7770712
Well, there's nothing else to it. Gatsby is childish and thinks he can win her back with his wealth that he didn't have back then.

> good?

Yeah, for an entry point to literacy. When I first read it (not an American), I was surprised by its simplicity. I thought it was going to be something that you had to actually process for some time. But I'm glad I read it. It's definitely something to discuss about. Its simplicity though makes it shallow for that purpose.
>>
>>7770731
I feel like if you want something accessible and something that easily promotes discussion you are better off reading a short story rather then waste your time reading an average-to-bad book (I know it's a short book, but that still doesn't justify reading it).
>>
>>7768723
it's used heavily over here in the UK at A-level english courses, so people who consider themselves slightly academic love it. babbies first symbolism and themes, and a plot with some depth (obviously limited). was slightly dissapointed because there's not much to it apart from the fact gatsby did loads of shit to try and get some grade A pussy, and the narrator was sorta cool
>>
>>7770753
I agree on that part. But the thing with Gatsby is is that it changed how people write books. It's the same effect with Shakespeare: his plays are great, but they have become somewhat of a staple that they have become stale.
So it's read because it has history. Much like aforementioned Shakespeare and for example, Citizen Kane in the movies.
>>
>>7770670
>it is pathetically juvenile for a middle-aged man to have the attitudes and expectations that Gatsby did.
That's the point. The lifestyles of new money allow people to stay, or sometimes become, immature wastes of space forever.
>>
>>7770788
Okay, there is no justifiable reason to compare Shakespeare to Fitzgerald. The only people who think Shakespeare plays are stale are those who have not watched/read them, or those who are not interested in literature or theater. Nobody thinks Shakespeare is stale; he is endlessly praised throughout history for his depth and ability to create characters that are flawlessly realistic.

The Great Gatsby does not have a single good character, and the only well written character (Tom) is designed to be hated.

The only way to redeem the book is to say that this >>7770796 is the whole point, but that doesn't make the book any more appealing, nor does it make it worth reading over other works with the same message.

>Gatsby is is that it changed how people write books.

Examples?
>>
>>7770788
>So it's read because it has history
You are fucking retarded. Don't ever post again.
>>
>>7770821
>>7770830
Oh ok maybe I was being a little pretentious there, sorry. I'll blame all this for my lack of good english. I meant the history as the style of writing it has inspired, at least that's what I have been led to believe. Again, I basically don't know what the fuck I am talking about, it's all hearsay to me.
Thanks for calling me out guys, but don't get so fucking triggered, just note that I fucked up.
>>
>>7770821
Also, on the concept of stale:
I meant that the plots of these old plays are copied on to newer editions of the same play. In no way are they bad, quite the opposite. What I meant was that when someone reads Shakespeare for the plot, like most of the people who were at the time not really into literature, were quite unimpressed. Now that I have read some actually quality books, I can definitely tell you that I was a pleb at that time.

I also have difficulty in explaining others what I mean, I have been called out about this many times
>>
>>7770862
Alright bud, I was just curious as to why you thought Fitzgerald to Shakespeare was an O.K. comparison. By the way, I am >>7770821 and I didn't write >>7770830. I did disagree with what you said, but I am not emotionally invested enough to the point where I would break down and attack you on the grounds of my childish insecurity; I was just curious to see you elaborate on your position.

Cheers!
>>
>>7770873
>>7770973 again, I have a better understanding of what you mean. But of course, and I know you realize this, what you are saying doesn't go to far to discredit Shakespeare's work (not that you were trying to) because le

>he reads for plot

Shakespeare was a master at capturing human nature and having full, developed characters. The plot resemblances hardly matter. But yes, I get what you were trying to say.
>>
>>7768723
One of the worst endings I have ever read.
>>
>>7770689

Le wacky drugs man
>>
File: 1450173029904.jpg (86 KB, 408x600) Image search: [Google]
1450173029904.jpg
86 KB, 408x600
>>7770821

>and the only well written character (Tom) is designed to be hated.

Who could hate Tom in this day and age?

He was the original anti-cuck. His wife and Gatsby tried to cuck him, so he does something about it.
>>
>>7772769
plus he's a stud. the chad of his day. tom haters are betas who want that dick.
>>
File: laughatyou.jpg (100 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
laughatyou.jpg
100 KB, 640x480
>/lit/ completely fails to appreciate or understand the content of the book, evident by this thread
>look how smart I am, popular things are shit
Although to be fair most people who claim to like The Great Gatsby don't recognize its depth either, only its fame.
>>
>>7772782
>>/lit/ completely fails to appreciate or understand the content of the book
Enlighten us.
>>
>>7772782
Yeah, I suspect many people here would even miss the point of the opening paragraph.
>>
File: I think he's serious lads.gif (453 KB, 280x207) Image search: [Google]
I think he's serious lads.gif
453 KB, 280x207
>>7772782

>You people are just to plebeian to see the Emperor's New Clothes! I can see them and I tell you, they look fantastic!
>>
Op is a bitter shit head hellbent on seeming superior to other people
>>
>>7768723
It's got an aesthetic and easily accessible plot + characters. After that movie with Leo my school had a fucking Gatsby themed prom, for fucks sake.
>>
>>7772769
>liking Tom
>the rich pig of a man who has to bully and fuck the peasantry because even his family is repulsed by him
this is the fetishizing of "success" speaking, no-one could really like Tom, they like power which Tom had...and used to fuck a penniless mechanic's wife while constantly holding the prospect of business under his nose
>>
>>7772898
why don't you just defer to whatever you're 10th grade professor told you about the book :)
>>
File: Of course.jpg (14 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
Of course.jpg
14 KB, 512x384
>>7776228

>rich pig of a man

Hardly. He's Old Money. Arrogant? Sure, but he had every right to hate New Money like Gatsby; who made their money off of crime and the misery of others.

>bully and fuck the peasantry

Whenever did he bully? And if you're referring to Myrtle, do you think she actually loved Tom or something? She saw him as a means to an end; that is, escaping her shitty life. Tom also saw her as a means to an end; namely, getting his rocks off from time to time.

Tom was no angel, but let's not pretend the other characters were; in fact, nobody really comes out of the whole fiasco looking good. Tom and Myrtle's relationship was mutually selfish.

As for Wilson; yes, Tom shouldn't strung with the idea of giving him a car to sell. I've already conceded that Tom could be an ass, however; but frankly he's a bit of an anti-hero.

>this is the fetishizing of "success" speaking
>Success shouldn't be a fetish

Sorry, but once again; Tom was the anti-cuckold. Tom was the Trump of TGG. I like to think that when it all ended, he patched things up with Daisy and made Long Island Great Again.

Keep crying over your underdog losers.
>>
>>7776243
>>7776243
>Whenever did he bully?
That's almost all he did. He bullied Nick, he bullied Daisy, he bullied Myrtle, he bullied Wilson. Maybe you were a bullied peasant as a kid and that's why you now suck his figurative cock. Ant-hero...what a joke.
>>
>>7776263
I'd rather be a bully than a cuck
>>
>>7776263

No, he was just abrupt and abrasive.

Of course you interpreted that as bullying.

What a NEET loser, lol; of course you conflate confidence for bullying. Tom was an Alpha; a lot to like about him, desu.
>>
>>7770712
>Very easily accessible.
>So that makes it good?
so that makes it bad?
>>
>>7770543
it's about Gatsby and a popular idea of the American dream. what it is and how it fails to make Gatsby and the other characters with money happy. it's about love and chasing the past. it's about terrible reasons to want to make your fantasies real. it's about a lot of things.

on top of all this, even people who weren't interested in the story usually found themselves hooked because of how well it's written. I'm not saying it's a bad story, but it's a fine example of it's not the story but how you tell it.

>>7768723
it's strange how if you don't understand something because you're a pleb you assume others who do understand are plebs.
>>
>>7770821
>the only well written character (Tom) is designed to be hated.
not a bad thing desu
>>
>>7772777
>>7772769
absolutely pathetic
>>
File: 1446570065836.gif (74 KB, 640x356) Image search: [Google]
1446570065836.gif
74 KB, 640x356
>>7773849
>Emperor's New Clothes
never ever post again, anywhere

kill yourself
>>
>>7776243
>anti-cuck
>cheats
>>
>>7776607
>It's about a faggot who desperately tries to make his life perfect, then the downward spiral when he realizes his dreams are hollow pursuits.
>>
>>7776243
>>Success shouldn't be a fetish
spook'd
>>
>>7772769
This is how pathetic the wannabe redpills are becoming. They used to have an actual point, now their sole goal is to escape being cucked. Absolutely pathetic.
>>
this post-ironic meming and fixation on cucking really needs to be scoured from this website
>>
>>7768723
Prose is great.
>>
>>7768786
>>7768840
>>7768901
>>7770543
>>7770566
>>7770573
>>7770635
>>7770670

>book literally anticipates 1929
>that simple

Fuck off retarded monkeys.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.