[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: pomo.png (2 MB, 1100x1800) Image search: [Google]
pomo.png
2 MB, 1100x1800
I wanna read Infinite Jest at some point soon, does anyone have any recs for less complex stuff to ease me into that kind of literature?
>>
ij is shit just skip it.

start with the greeks
>>
>>7765348
Infinite Jest isn't difficult.

But read Homer's Iliad and Odyssey.
>>
>>7765348
Shouldn't most threads on /lit/ be in QTDDTOT?
>>
>>7765489
probably
but most threads on /lit/ are answered with "start with the greeks" so who knows
>>
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men is a great way to get into DFW, it's got a lot of his best pieces
>>
I'm thinking of buying The Divine Comedy and was wondering if it is *necessary* I read some of the older epics (Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid) if I want any chance of fully understanding it. I know Virgil plays a part in the story which is why I'm asking.

I will read those older classics at some point but right now I'm more interested in Dante.
>>
>>7765919
Not necessary but Aeneid is very very very helpful, as is Odyssey and Iliad, though more indirectly.
>>
>>7765945
As a follow-up: is it necessary I read the Odyssey and Iliad if I want any chance of understanding the Aeneid?
>>
>>7765966
its the same story honestly. they'll probably enhance it but not crucial.

you should aim to read all of them at some point though, they're just so influential. and not that long.

if you already know the basic story you can go into aeneid or commedia directly just fine.
>>
Any good fiction where nazis WON world war 2 and what happened thereafter?
>>
>>7766110
man in the high castle

not exactly nazis and WW2, but plot against america
>>
Jesus Christ infinite jest is easy to read. Can we un-meme it. I'm Fucking sick of everyone always talking about it. Let's take it out of the meme trio and replace it with the tunnel
>>
>>7766123
>not 2666
>>
>>7766126
I just purchased that. Is it that hard to read?
>>
>>7766110
The Man In The High Castle. It's in OP's image
>>
>>7766128
How about you open the book if you own it and find out, dumb nigger.
>>
>>7766136
I'm reading something else asshole
>>
>>7766133
YOU'RE THE NEW BOSS
>>
>>7766139
No, you're clearly posting on 4chan. Nothing is stopping you from opening the book and looking at the pages within it. Dumb fucking nigger!
>>
>>7766140
This isn't what I wanted.
>>
>>7766142
Niger I'm on the bus
>>
>>7766133
'grats anon
>>
>>7766147
Thank you.
>>
>>7766146
Niger is too poor to afford public transport
>>
>>7766133
ok
>>
>>7766133
Was DFW a hack?
>>
>>7766133
Am I a truly good man?
>>
IJ is really easy anon. Its just dense and complicated at times. But its really easy in terms of comprehension 90% of the time

I just finished the 5 page footnote about one of the ETA students plagiarizing a journal about kids jumping in front of trains and how it relates to the wheel chair assassins. Holy shit was it dense, but I absolutely loved it. So many shifts in perspective and stories being told simultaneously.
>>
Why is it that the Kindle can't handle heavy PDFs?

I tried to read the New Oxford Annotated Bible, but my Paperwhite just freezed and I had to restart it. The file is 46 MB, more or less, and even if I compress it it only goes to 42 MB.

wat do /lit/?
>>
>>7766472
throw your Kindle in the garbage where it belongs and get a Nook or Kobo
>>
>>7766490
What the fuck is a kobo
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.