[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I study law?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: law-books_1.jpg (796 KB, 2403x1126) Image search: [Google]
law-books_1.jpg
796 KB, 2403x1126
Should I study law?
>>
>>7764678
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
>>
>>7764678
I am, and I'm very concerned about the state of my life right now. Do you have a clear idea of where you'd go if you did?
>>
>>7764691
probably something like copyright law or soliciting.

Being a barrister would be awesome but desu it's probably dreaming too much.
>>
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7530591
>>
if you have to ask
probably not
>>
Most people have no idea what they are up to, they just like to identify themselves as 'lawyers'.
>>
>>7764747
warosu is back

oh, baby
>>
>>7764747
How much does this 'soulless industry taking naive hopefuls for suckers' idea apply to non-American systems?

I'm scared, deeply scared.
>>
>>7764864
worst for americans
2nd worst for eurocucks
3rd worst for canadians, australians

but it's not all bad. if you want to be a criminal lawyer or work in a different gov positiong, then you're ok. but the corporate law firms will just suck you in and pump you out. it's like the military now; you only make partner if a current partner leaves or dies.
>>
Only if you dont have a soul.
>>
>>7767080

and what's better soulful work?
>>
>>7767469
Not him but really anything. Are you passionate about nothing? Can you not think of any line of work you would prefer?
>>
>>7767469
Don't listen to >>7767080
There are plenty of fields of law that are very stimulating and rewarding.
>>
>>7767556

I'm beyond passionate about music (playing and listening)

I'd like to be in a travelling band, but I don't know anyone musical and I have bills to pay.

I'm passionate about nothing other than music (except for being in nature), and the sciences are not my strong area. I can't imagine soulful work that's realistic with my credentials, so law will be as fine as anything can be fine since I won't bemoan it not being that which I don't believe exists (soulful work).
>>
>>7766751
As an Australian I suppose this makes me feel a little better. The government is probably the only vague thought resembling direction that I have in mind right now so I think I'll try to chase that.
>>
>>7767619
You sound like you'd be good at recording transcripts.
>>
>>7767893
>Australian
>want to study law
>waste all your time in this shithole
wew lad are you me?
>>
>>7767619
Music teachers make as much as regular teachers. Sure teachers bitch, but you get off work at 4 and it's still an average of 50 grand a year.
>>
>>7768410
and dont forget those holidays lmao
>>
>>7764746
>Copyright law
Fuck off you parasitic leech. At least choose an area of the law that isn't completely retarded you money grubbing pig.
>>
>>7768402
Your most likely better off than me. unless you're also doing a law-media double-degree.
>>
>>7764678

Bumping for interest, Law is a postgrad option for me. Doing undergrad Econ and taking the CFA level 1 at the end of the year.. Reason I want to do Law is so I can go into private wealth and being a swiss south african dual citizen I could start a private wealth consultancy and help people get their money into tax havens.. I figure in 2019 when I graduate there will be happenings in South Africa and everyone will be desperate to get their money out.. Idk tho.. It means I'll only finish at 27 but it opens up options for doing masters in cyberlaw or european law which would give me an angle in setting myself up in europe which is my ultimate goal.. Is it worth it guys? Should I just swallow the idea, take the CFA and try into asset management? Pls advise
>>
>>7767619
try some work with skill of making something useful with your hands what will cherish you and make world better, carpenter computer servisant, sound engineer whatever
>>
>>7764678
I'm only thinking of law school because I have a chance of making money with it. The only thing I can ever see myself doing involves history. That's all I read and it's what I love. My dream job is to work as a historian in a museum like the louvre, but I know my chances of ever doing that is low. What else am I suppose to do if I get history degree other than law? I don't want to teach kids, I hate teaching. I want to be left alone to decipher and study the past
>>
>>7771346
Aim to be a college professor, you'll spend years of your life on a history dissertation, then you publish it and go on to work at a research university where you'll be doing more research. Yeah you'll have to teach, but TA's can help you.
>>
not sure if you're basing your entire decision on what people say on 4chan...but if you are you could study law...you just shouldn't practice law.

but then again...maybe i just gave you motivation to get into law school and pass the bar (considering if you're from the USA) and i just done goof'd
>>
>>7771346
>I'm only thinking of law school because I have a chance of making money with it
Lawyer here.

I hate to break it to you, but the legal job market is fucking non existent. Unless you're the very top of your class at a good school, you're pretty much screwed. Law school is a fucking huge bubble right now, and it's going to burst at any moment. It's completely unsustainable. Schools charge way too much money and graduate way too many students without any real jobs available. I know plenty of really smart people from really great schools who struggled to find work.

The whole myth of lawyers being rich is just that---a myth. Sure, there are some who make bank, but the vast majority are just working menial jobs, barely able to afford their massive student loan payments.

If you try to go to law school with a "well, what else am I supposed to do?" attitude, you'll fucking kill yourself the first semester. The work load is so (purposefully) unmanageable that only those who REALLY fucking want to be there will stay. That's why schools accept and admit way more than they graduate. They know that tons of people will drop out their first year.
>>
>>7764678
Self-study jurisprudence, particularly Kelsen, Schmitt, Hart, Fuller, Dworkin, Finnis, and Raz, but don't bother wasting your time getting a degree in substantive law. It's such a sad subject, like being the fag who has read the Monopoly manual ten times over and has very strong views on Free Parking.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.