[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm reading pic related now. What's you opinion about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: muvtori.jpg (47 KB, 318x447) Image search: [Google]
muvtori.jpg
47 KB, 318x447
I'm reading pic related now. What's you opinion about this?
Also, I'm looking for a similar book about the general development of philosophy.
>>
Good for a introduction, but Gombrich was a bit of a reductionist who simply ignored anything Warburg had to pass on
>>
>>7764660
>Good for a introduction
exactly. I've never had proper education in arts, so as I read further in this book, I feel my horizon broadening. As if I were blind and now I'm learning to see.

I've never had any philosophical education either, so I'm looking for a similar book on that subject.
>>
it's a great introduction to art history, a fairly standard text

>>7764677

kenny - a new history of western philosophy
>>
>>7764687
I'd say I'm more interested in modern philosophy, but the ideal book would start with the greeks and show how people's thoughts evolved from that into existentialism and modern shit like that. Just like from cave paintings to Black Square.
>>
File: 1358112469952.png (390 KB, 446x600) Image search: [Google]
1358112469952.png
390 KB, 446x600
>>7764731
>>
pop art book good for children under the age of 15
>>
Fun. Gombrich is enthusiastic about art and it shows. I realized how to enjoy art thanks to this book.
The chapters about 20th century are so-so, though. It's mostly his reflections on this period and its mentality rather than a guide through its most important artists and works.

>>7764736
You're reading a shitpost
>>
I am also interested in books on art and art history, please carry on this thread.
>>
File: 243685.jpg (35 KB, 304x475) Image search: [Google]
243685.jpg
35 KB, 304x475
>>7764653
I typically don't recommend this book because it's so reductive, but since you said you just want the "general" development of philosophy, you can just look through pic related until you get serious about philosophy.

>>7769289
Just buy a textbook and read it.
>>
>>7769536
You make it sound so simple pleb.
Thanks for guiding people towards good sources... not.
>>
Story of Art was my introduction to art as well OP. It's dope. I tried to supplement it with the essay collection Nothing If Not Critical, which was sort of effective.

>>7769536
I read some of this, but I don't recommend it as your first intro OP. For that there is one book and one book only: The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant. It's exactly what you're looking for OP.
>>
funny to say his name in a plaintive breathy old man voice
>>
File: Beauty.jpg (37 KB, 344x500) Image search: [Google]
Beauty.jpg
37 KB, 344x500
You need Roger Scruton, my man.
>>
>>7772434
>learning about beauty from a man whose name is a portmanteau of scrotum & futon
>>
>>7764938
as he stated in the foreword. I like it though.

>>7764696
>>7769536
>>7771543
I've downloaded these, thank you for the recommendations. I think I'll start with Russel because I found it in Hungarian translation and in ebook format, the others are pdfs in English.

I did some research myself and came across a book Sophie's world. Its an introduction to philosophy disguised as a novel. Is that worth reading or shit tier?
>>
>>7772434
Why would I need Roger's cruton?
>>
File: Really lad.png (231 KB, 304x366) Image search: [Google]
Really lad.png
231 KB, 304x366
>>7772454
>>7772474

>/lit/
>Serious intellectual discourse
>>
>>7772434

lemodernartistrashman
>>
>>7772525

And he's entirely correct, you kitsch fraud.
>>
>>7772470
Russell gets shat on a lot for being biased and you will be told by most on this board not to read it. There's 3 or 4 history of philosophy books recommended on the 4chan lit philosophy google doc. Google it and you should find it. A story of philosophy by Bryan Magee is among them as well as the Anthony Kenny one someone else posted.
>>
>>7772547
biased in what way?
I have been told about that Magee book, but I could find it anywhere yet.
>>
>>7772556
I'm just parroting what I've heard about it from various sources so I haven't read it nor am I truly informed to judge in which way it is biased. Bryan Magees book is on Lib Gen. More info about Lib Gen is in the sticky.
>>
>>7772572
>Lib Gen
I've never gave it much thought, it seemed much more complicated than piratebay. I'll reconsider my opinion about that.
>>
>>7772595
Are you kidding me?
Literally here you go.
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/
Search for something
Click the title of the book
Under mirrors, click libgen
After that we can learn our ABCs
>>
>>7772533

no he isn't, he's far too broad in his criticism and an extremely bitter man (see his recent books on leftist intellectuals) which clouds his view and diminishes his argument

he has some good points on beauty and classical art, but his writing about modern art and academia is sophomoric
>>
>>7772797
not him. who would you recommend for modern art?
>>
File: Musashi_ts_pic.jpg (255 KB, 813x1179) Image search: [Google]
Musashi_ts_pic.jpg
255 KB, 813x1179
>>7764653
Can't stand the page flipping. Should come as two books so I can dual read.
>>
>>7772797

>see his recent books on leftist intellectuals

You mean his entirely correct critique of those intellectual frauds like Foucault/etc?
>>
File: AnimeBrimley.jpg (21 KB, 479x361) Image search: [Google]
AnimeBrimley.jpg
21 KB, 479x361
more like the story of fart.
>>
>>7764653
for an intro to philosophy try historyofphilosophy.net podcast.

thank me later.
>>
>>7764653
Had to read and learn 450 pages of this for exams because of a course I had in university. Good times
>>
>>7764677
Russell's Hisotory is really great for anything up to modern philosophy. His treatment of the greeks and the scholastics is generally recognised as top-notch.

But he is very opiniated on the moderns, and has often been accused of misunderstanding figures luke Kant and Nietzsche.

His chapter on Hume is 10/10 though, all the chapters are in audio on youtube.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.