[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books you're making shitty progress with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: pynchon-v..jpg (21 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
pynchon-v..jpg
21 KB, 350x500
Finally just past the half-way mark, started in December.

Why do I suck so hard at Pynchon? I finished IJ + etcetera within 4 months or so.

Same thing happened to me with TCoL49, still took me like a month despite how short it is. I actually enjoy Pynchon but I feel like I revert to 1st grade reading level in his works.
>>
Dune

its very long and I prefer short stories, but when I do read it I enjoy myself, so I'm sure I'll finish it.
>>
U L L Y S E S
L
L
S
E
S
>>
>>7763688
Oh yes, that book obliterates patience, especially in the first chapters where nothing seems like it matters.
>>
>>7763685
just finished lot 49. took me 10 days pleb
>>
>>7763985
10 days for an hour each day
>>
>>7763689
took me a whole summer but i took my time with it
>>
>>7763685
Blood Meridian. The writing is so repetitive and purple. I'm only continuing because I like Judge Holden's character.
>>
File: reading.jpg (47 KB, 500x529) Image search: [Google]
reading.jpg
47 KB, 500x529
>>7763985
>>7763685
>not reading tCoL49 twice, annotating it with seven different colors of sticky notes and writing a 2500 word response over a single weekend while drinking
Is this what state school plebs are like all the time?
>>
>>7763999
I thought that was an armpit at first.
>>
>>7763999
desu my copy is old af senpai to the point that it's tearing apart and the pages are browning. i have a feeling if a mess with it any more it'll turn to ashes
>>
The Tale of Genji. Might be the translation, but it's been 100 pages of dalliances and debutantes, sprinkled with how good looking Genji is. Was this book the 11th. Century Japanese 50 shades?
>>
Dead Souls. It's going really fucking slow and I don't know why.
>>
>>7763685
Lolita. I started reading it two years ago and am still less than halfway through it. It's not hard and I don't dislike it or anything. I've read Pale Fire, all of Joyce's main four books including Finnegans Wake, every Pinecone except Against the Day, Infinite Jest, and a bunch of other things since then and it didn't even take that long. I really have no idea why it's taking this long.
>>
>>7764067
save your fap sessions until you finish it
>>
>>7764008
It actually has emotional depth and proper tragedy, so I wouldn't compare that shit show to Genji.
>>
>>7763999
I agree with Bloom that this book requires two readings. I enjoyed it on my first read and saw it as an enjoyable book with a lot of interesting ideas. After a second read I was able to formulate my thoughts within the full context and now I feel strongly that it is among the greatest books of the 20th century.

>>7763685
>>7764067
If you enjoy the book, why is it an issue that you're reading slowly?
>>
>>7764055
Well it's not the fastest paced book out there, was kinda slow for me too

Still enjoyed it though
>>
les miserables and count of monte cristo
>>7763707
really? i read the first chapters really quickly not really hard at all
>>
i have attempted reading Lord of the Rings many times in my life but every time i make such shit progress i just give up
i'll probably give it another shot after i'm done with dune
>>
>>7763685
>>7764067
daily reminder that if you don't read a novel in 2-3 weeks you haven't read it at all
>>
>>7764705
lol ok. Stick to /b/, kid.
>>
>>7764719
there is nothing /b/ about my post. I'm sorry if you lack focus
>>
Is it bad that I'm only 200 pages into IJ and I started on christmas?
>>
Moby Dick for me right now, I don't totally hate it, but I find it pretty boring and hard to get through most of the time. I'm normally a really fast reader, but I've been at this since early January and I've still got about 180 pages left, although I did read crime and punishment, CoL49 and Notes from Underground while I was taking breaks from this one.
>>
>>7763685
The trial by Kafka

Took me months to finish and by the time I did I had no idea what I read.

Also 'The last of the Mohicans' took me forever, but I just wasn't excited by it.

>>7764185
>count of monte cristo
Read this in a matter of days.
Hate to admit it but maybe it was because in my version of the book there were these beautiful illustrations, they really made me feel the atmosphere of Paris in the 1800's.
>>
>>7763685
I really don't see what's the big deal about TCoL49, it wasn't very good read in my mind. The plot was meandering and ultimately pointless, and none of the characters was particularly likable or even noteworthy. What I'm missing here?
>>
>>7763689
I couldn't put that down. Burned through it in about a week. Un-fucking-believable. Unabashedly recommend using a guide first time through (I use Blamire, but even the Burgess book is ok)

Phenomenology of Spirit. Started in mid-December with large breaks. Not worth?

>>7764756
Never done the Trial, but the Castle took me a good while. Worth it.
>>
>>7763985
>10 days
>calling others pleb
3 days here. I finished it whilr drinking in the street at night after leaving my peeps in a pub.
>>
Decameron. I read 120 pages in 5 days and I didn't continue. This was one month ago.
>>
>>7764753

I just finished it last month. I didn't find it boring, per se, just dense. It was surprisingly funny at times (especially Queequeg's antics) and struck some impressive emotional chords. I actually reared up at one point, which I don't know if you've reached yet.

But like I said: dense. Though the cetology chapters were still interesting, they break the pace of reading a straightforward narrative. Took me about a month to read the whole book, while I've read three books in the last two weeks.
>>
>>7764764
>The plot was meandering and ultimately pointless
>none of the characters was particularly likable or even noteworthy
What are you missing? Literally everything. Stick to genre fiction if you're still reading for muh plot and muh characters.
>>
>>7764756

Nothing wrong with enjoying good illustrstions, my man. I loved the ones in Lewis Carol's stories. And stuff like that can really help to get you into a rhythm while reading, I find. It's not like you're reading the pop-up book version.
>>
>>7763685
Bloods a Rover - James Ellroy

his telegraph style writing is painful already, but this turns it up a notch.
>>
>>7764884
What's there to find in a piece of fiction besides plot and characters? I enjoy a good turn of phrase, but you can find that in genre fiction too.
>>
>>7765801
Seriously? How much have you ever read in your life? If it's a decent amount, maybe you need to stop skimming over everything and start reading critically.

Setting, philosophy, motivation, love, society, culture, aesthetic, allusion, information/research, context, ideas, to name just the first that come to my head.
>>
>>7765801
mood ofc
>>
>>7763985
>>7763988
Generally me with a lot of my books around the 200-250 mark.

Essentially, hour for hour, it was read in less than a day right?
>>
>>7764351
LotR took me forever to read too. It was OK in the end I think, not amazing
>>
>>7763685
I was doing fine in this book until it got to the Bongo Shaftsbury egypt part
My mind started to wander when I got to it and it went completely over my head
>>
>>7763999
he literally did it because he needed money mate, it's a decent thriller with crystal clear themes and ideas. he literally talks you through the plot at the end.
>>
>>7763685
I just finished this, and I liked it; the writing's great especially. But man, I'm not even going to pretend I knew what the whole thing was about by the end. Jesus.
>>
The Bible
Book of the Short Sun ()waiting on that e reader)
Moby Dick, read half didn't touch in 4 months.
>>
I'm working at a snail's pace through Kershaw's two-volume Hitler biography. It's interesting but rather dry, as Kershaw eschews most interesting apocryphal accounts and sticks to what he can verify with great certainty.
>>
>>7764756
dude, the count is fucking massive, how'd you swing it in days?
>>
>>7764795
Bitch, I read it in 2 days during finals.
>>
>>7766191

The Maundaugen (or however you spell it) part is like that but it drags on for longer imo
>>
>>7767208
my favorite part on the book
>>
>>7767218

It is interesting, I am starting to like the "stencilized" historical fiction sections of the book. Just feel like it's easy to lose yourself in those chapters.
>>
>>7766191
wasnt that like the second chapter
>>
>>7767237
maybe that's because most (all?) of them were random short stories he had written before
>>
File: 8GIzZ.jpg (152 KB, 717x1000) Image search: [Google]
8GIzZ.jpg
152 KB, 717x1000
Not everyone can handle a 10 as a girlfriend & not everyone can handle a Ducati. Yr IQ just isn't in the Pinecone-enjoying range. Don't sweat it. Stick with Vonnegut.
>>
>>7767340
that's really not a 10, brah
looks like a tranny
>>
>>7767254
Nope
It wasn't that far into the book though. I think it was right after we get introduced to that edgy teen group whatever they're called
>>
>>7767399
No one said it was. BRAH
>>
>>7767340
>>7767483
Then why would you fucking post it?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.