[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/ Favorites of the 21st Century Survey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 14
File: file.png (2 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2 MB, 1280x960
Since the top 100 charts are getting more and more identical, let's try something new. Favorite books that came out in 2000 or newer, and since there aren't as many it'll probably only be a top 20/30 or so.

Here's the survey:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZPkxubjdcjQwYorj24NHRsbwc49mckSTJ5vgG_IUJVg/viewform

Feel free to repost your picks in the thread and discuss them.
>>
>>7753982
1. My Struggle
2. 2666
3. Kafka on the shore

I don't read a lot of literature from the 21st century.
Took My Struggle as one book, even though it is really six.
>>
The Instructions
>>
2666 is gonna win for sure
>>
>>7753982

1. The Road - Mccarthy
2. 1Q84 - Murakami
>>
White Teeth
>>
Man, this made me realise that I really need to read more contemporary literature.

My choices:

1. Min Kamp 1 - Knausgård
2. House of Leaves - Danielewski
3. The Road - McCarthy
>>
>>7753982
My top favorites:
1. Brief History of Seven Killings: James
2. Submission - Houellebecq
3. Sandalwood Death - Mo Yan
Never Let Me Go
Matterhorn - Marlantes
Book of Night Women - James
Prague Cemetary - Eco
The Devil all the Time - Pollock
The Fishermen - Obioma
Submission
The Feast of the Goat - Llosa

and Im reading A Little Life right now and its great
>>
I doubt if any of mine will make it if you're only going to count those with multiple votes.

Seiobo There Below by Laszlo Krasznahorkai
A True Novel by Minae Mizumura
Sea of Ink by Richard Weihe
>>
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Chabon. The title is a mouthful and it falls into some easy traps of period-piece writing, but the language/characters/setting were fresh to me when I read it a few years back.
>>
>>7754345
>A True Novel by Minae Mizumura
Looks interesting, I think I will read this.
Thanks anon.
>>
buried giant
three body trilogy
>>
>>7753982
OP here, current standings, read top to bottom:

2666 - Roberto Bolaño
House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro
My Struggle - Karl Ove Knausgård
The Life of Insects - Pelevin
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Díaz
A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
Submission - Amy Waldman
A True Novel - Minae Mizumura
Q&A - Vikas Swarup
Naive. Super. - Loe
Bernardijeva soba - Slobodan Tišma
Sandalwood Death - Mo Yan
Seiobo There Below - Laszlo Krasznahorkai
Sea of Ink - Richard Weihe
>>
>>7753982
http://thegreatestbooks.org/the-greatest-fiction-since/2000
>>
>>7754434
You need to spam this for a month to get a decent response, or at least wait till you get 300 distinct IPs or something
>>
>>7754434
>Submission - Amy Waldman

I think you got the wrong author.
>>
>>7754469
Yeah, might take a while until a decent sample size. Let's see what happens when we hit Murrican prime time.

>>7754473
Noticed after reading the thread and fixed. Guy just entered "Submission".
>>
>>7754469
i agree. please collect a large number of votes/distinct IPs
>>
>>7754434
>Naive. Super. - Loe

Great book, but published before 2000 I think.
>>
>>7754345
>Seiobo There Below
Got my vote as well. (Now I’ll check have to out your other choices.)

My other votes were:
Shantytown by César Aira (but I don’t really care which Aira book in particular. "Conversations" would be just as nice)
Map and Territory by Houellebecq, because I wanted to place a non-obscure vote as well, I guess.
Considered "The Pale King", but it’s been a while since I read it and it didn’t really have much of an impact on me yet. Will read it again some day.

2666 is relatively bad imho. An okay read, but not outstanding. The last paragraph is the best, I think. Not because the book is over then – it’s really the best. Bit of a shame there’s so many rather bland paragraphs before it.
>>
>>7753982
A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
Inherent Vice
House of Leaves

>inb4 pleb
>>
File: >2014.jpg (277 KB, 714x644) Image search: [Google]
>2014.jpg
277 KB, 714x644
Kek no one is posting:

>Balthasar's Odyssey
or
>Fast Machine
>>
File: Austerlitz_novel_cover.png (119 KB, 341x500) Image search: [Google]
Austerlitz_novel_cover.png
119 KB, 341x500
>nobody has posted this yet
>>
Christ, I really haven't read that much 21st century fiction.

I'm going to have to tentatively go with:

City of Bohane by Kevin Barry
A Girl is a Half-formed Thing by Eimear McBride
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

With the perhaps honourable mention of:

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

I admit this a pretty lackluster selection, but hey, the century's young.
>>
>>7754572
I'm guessing because historical fiction kind of gets old, there's an obscene amount of WW2 books out there. Also the kid looks like a faget and books can be judged by their cover. :^)
>>
>>7753982
a visit from the good squad - egan
the map and the territory - houellebecq
three apples fell from heaven - marcom
>>
>>7754581
>the century's young
>century is literally 60% through
>>
>>7754595
It's a masterpiece, though.
>>
Haven't read anything mentioned in this thread and just realized I can't think of anything good written in this century that I have read.

Gonna try to add some new stuff to my reading plans durin this year, thx anons.
>>
>>7754607
(2016-2001)/100 = 60/100
yeah, makes sense
>>
File: taipei.jpg (23 KB, 215x346) Image search: [Google]
taipei.jpg
23 KB, 215x346
>>
>>7754522
Haven't read inherent vice but watched the movie yesterday and liked it, is the movie comparable?
>>
What's so great about 2666?
>>
>>7754702
It’s long and kind of eerie and postmodern.
>>
>>7753982
Standings:

2666 - Roberto Bolaño
A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Seiobo There Below - Laszlo Krasznahorkai
House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
My Struggle - Karl Ove Knausgård
Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami
The Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro
Submission - Michel Houellebecq
A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James
The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen
The Map and the Territory - Michel Houellebecq
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Díaz
The Prague Cemetery - Umberto Eco
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
Austerlitz - W. G. Sebald
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Inherent Vice - Thomas Pynchon
The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes
Freedom - Jonathan Franzen
White Teeth - Zadie Smith
Purity - Jonathan Franzen
1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
A True Novel - Minae Mizumura
Shantytown - César Aira
Q&A - Vikas Swarup
A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
City of Bohane - Kevin Barry
Sandalwood Death - Mo Ya
Sea of Ink - Richard Weihe
Suicide - Édouard Levé
Balthasar's Odyssey - Amin Maalouf
Ablutions - Patrick deWitt
Fast Machine - Elizabeth Ellen
Permission - S.D. Chrostowska
A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing - Eimear McBride
Three Apples Fell From Heaven - Micheline Aharonian Marcom
Europe Central - William T. Vollmann
A Naked Singularity - Sergio De La Pava
Pastoralia - George Saunders
The Ego Tunnel - Thomas Metzinger
The Flame Alphabet - Ben Marcus
>>
>>7753982
>reading 21st century literature
>>
>>7754999
>not reading the classics before they become classics in 50 years
>>
>>7755008
Nothing written today deserves to become a classic.
>>
Never let me go is the best novel from the last 16 years.
>>
10th of December
American Pastoral
Kavalier and Clay
The Disappearing Spoon
Lush Life
Bleeding Edge
>>
>>7755028
Horrible mindset.
>>
File: lit starter pack.jpg (26 KB, 318x361) Image search: [Google]
lit starter pack.jpg
26 KB, 318x361
>>7755028
not so fast, pleb
>>
>>7754702
Then, incomprehensibly, he began to make faces that in some way linked him to the wife of the writer from Mainz, to such a degree that Bubis thought they must be brother and sister and only thus could one fully understand the presence of the writer and his wife at the meal. It was also possible, thought Bubis, that they were lovers, because it was common knowledge that lovers often began to resemble each other, usually in their smiles, their opinions, their points of view, in short, the superficial trappings that all human beings are obliged to bear until their deaths, like the rock of Sisyphus, yes Sisyphus, known as the craftiest of men, son of Aeolus and Enarete, founder of the city of Ephyra, which is the old name for Corinth, a city that the good Sisyphus turned into the staging ground of his happy misdeeds, because with his characteristic nimbleness of body and intellectual inclination to see every turn of fate as a chess problem or a detective story to unravel, and his instinct for laughter and jokes and jests and cracks and quips and gags and pranks and punch lines and spoofs and stories and gibes and taunts and send-ups and satires, he turned to theft, in other words parting all passersby from their belongings, even going so far as to steal from his neighbor Autolycus, also a thief, perhaps with the remote hope that one who steals from a thief is granted one hundred years of forgiveness, and at the same time smitten by his neighbor’s daughter, Anticlea, because Anticlea was very beautiful, a treat, but the girl had an official suitor, she was promised to Laertes, of subsequent fame, which didn’t daunt Sisyphus, who could count on the complicity of the girl’s father, the thief Autolycus, whose admiration for Sisyphus had sprung up like the regard of an objective and honorable artist for another artist of superior gifts, so that even though it could be said that as a man of honor he remained true to his promise to Laertes, he didn’t look unkindly upon the romantic attentions Sisyphus lavished on his daughter or treat them as disrespect or mockery of his future son-in-law, and in the end his daughter married Laertes, or so it’s said, but only after surrendering to Sisyphus one or two or five or seven times, possibly ten or fifteen times, always with the collusion of Autolycus, who wanted his neighbor to plant the seed of a grandchild as clever as Sisyphus, and on one of these occasions Anticlea was left with child and nine months later, now the wife of Laertes,
>>
her son would be born, the son of Sisyphus, called Odysseus or Ulysses, who in fact turned out to be just as clever as his father, though Sisyphus never gave him a thought and continued to live his life, a life of excesses and parties and pleasure, during which he married Merope, the dimmest star in the Pleiades precisely because she married a mortal, a miserable mortal, a miserable thief, a miserable gangster in thrall to his excesses, blinded by his excesses, among which not least was the seduction of Tyro, the daughter of Sisyphus’s brother Salmoneus, whom Sisyphus pursued not because he was interested in Tyro, not because Tyro was particularly sexy, but because Sisyphus hated his own brother and wanted to cause him pain, and for this deed, after his death, he was condemned in hell to push a stone to the top of a hill only to watch it roll down to the bottom and then push it back up to the top of the hill and watch it roll again to the bottom, and so on eternally, a bitter punishment out of all proportion to his crimes or sins, the vengeance of Zeus, it’s said, because on a certain occasion Zeus passed through Corinth with a nymph he had kidnapped, and Sisyphus, who was smarter than a whip, seized his chance, and when Asopus, the girl’s father, came by in desperate search of his daughter, Sisyphus offered to give him the name of his daughter’s kidnapper, but only if Asopus made a fountain spring up in the city of Corinth, which shows that Sisyphus wasn’t a bad citizen or perhaps he was thirsty, to which Asopus agreed and the fountain of crystalline waters sprang up and Sisyphus betrayed Zeus, who, in a blind rage, sent him ipso facto to Thanatos, or death, but Sisyphus was too much for Thanatos, and in a masterstroke perfectly in keeping with his craftiness and sense of humor he captured Thanatos and threw him in chains, a feat within reach of very few, truly very few, and for a long time he kept Thanatos in chains and during all that time not a single human being died on the face of the earth, a golden age in which men, though still men, lived free of the anxiety of death, in other words, free of the anxiety of time, because now they had more than enough time, which is perhaps what distinguishes a democracy, spare time, surplus time, time to read and time to think, until Zeus had to intervene personally and Thanatos was freed and then Sisyphus died.

But the faces Junge was making didn’t have anything to do with Sisyphus, thought Bubis.
>>
>>7755076
>>7755083
tldr
>>
>>7754992
This list is unsurprisingly middlebrow shite
>>
>>7755144
which were your votes?
>>
>>7755194
I didn't vote yet. I might make a list if I feel like it. There are 3 or so decent things on the list though, as well as a couple I haven't heard of
>>
>>7754634
fuck off tao
>>
File: okcupid-profile.png (246 KB, 511x601) Image search: [Google]
okcupid-profile.png
246 KB, 511x601
>>7755202
>Typical, no one has such deep connections to esoteric 21st century literature as me.
>What are these shitters doing, buying their books through AMAZON? I only buy self-published books in Williamsburg coffee shops and from people on Tao Lin's friendlist
>>
I'm actually surprised no one mentioned A Little Life. Wasn't that supposed to be pretty good?
>>
>>7754678
The book's even better
>>
>>7755202
What's decent?
>>
>>7755635
see
>>7754332

And yes its good but I may kill myself.
>>
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Diaz
The Buried Giant - Ishiguro
Kafka on the Shore - Murakami
>>
>>7755712
you'll enjoy the ending.
>>
>>7754515
>2666 is relatively bad imho. An okay read, but not outstanding.
You should consider suicide.
>>
>>7754572
>>7754610
You don't even understand Sebald, faggot.
>>
Where's the unfinished brain?
>>
>>7755670
Sebald is the only one that's decidedly a classic, but other than that, Krasznahorkai is worth reading.
>>
>>7755635
Everything I read about it makes it sound terrible
>>
>>7756266
You really are a cliche.
>>
>>7756266
Is Seiobo There Below worth reading? I heard good things about it but then again it might be people trying to be a special snowflake since it only has 400~ votes on GR.
>>
The Wizard Knight
Aquinas by Feser
>>
File: 15741474[1].jpg (13 KB, 318x471) Image search: [Google]
15741474[1].jpg
13 KB, 318x471
The American contender.
>>
>>7757121
This is the only correct answer. Thank you, Gass-friend.
>>
i don't think i (or anyone else here) read(s) enough 21st century literature to make this list particularly worthwhile. but nonetheless, mine are

1. laszlo krasznahorkai - seiobo there below
2. vladimir sorokin - ice trilogy
3. roberto bolano - 2666
>>
File: lit 21st century.png (4 MB, 996x3396) Image search: [Google]
lit 21st century.png
4 MB, 996x3396
>>7753982
Alright, we got a decent spike in votes over the night barely enough to make a top 20. I think the big bulk of the voters are out of the way and there probably won't be a relevant number of new voters because of what >>7757301 said, so without further ado; the chart.
>>
>>7757301
>laszlo krasznahorkai - seiobo there below
Thanks for sharing. Will definitely read that.
>>
>>7757556
>not one but two Houllebecq books
>>
>>7757556
you gotta keep it going for like a week
>>
File: 1365610453254.jpg (43 KB, 499x359) Image search: [Google]
1365610453254.jpg
43 KB, 499x359
>>7757635
suck it, nerd
>>
>>7757301
my ice trilogy nigga. you'r eonly other person on /lit/ i've seen mention it.
>>
1. László Krasznahorkai: Seiobo There Below
2. Kazuo Ishiguro: Never Let Me Go
3. Danielewski: House Of Leaves
>>
>>7757635
Also two Ishiguro novels.
>>
>>7757686
Ishiguro is great.
>>
>>7757700
He I great. Never let me go is one of my favorites. I don't think the buried giant should be on this list though. The list needs a lot more time. We should try and read more new literature. I have a giant list of books I need to buy and 2 are written after 1999 lol
>>
File: Laszlo_Krasznahorkai.jpg (45 KB, 301x499) Image search: [Google]
Laszlo_Krasznahorkai.jpg
45 KB, 301x499
>>7757596
Not same anon, but I would reccommend you to start with his most famous book "Satantango". It is great, and if you like it, you can continue with The Melancholy of Resistance, then war & war. It's a chronological order, but you can see how the perspectives changes. In one of his interviews he said that he has nothing common with the man who he was when he wrote "satantango". Maybe I will make a chart about him. As hungarian I'm proud that one of our living writers has international succes.
>>
>>7757705
I think the point of the list is to get people interested in new literature or get an idea what to read. We can always redo it.

And imo Buried Giant > NLMG.
>>
>no Pynchon
>>
Has anyone read Zone by Mathias Enard? Worth the read or gimmicky bullshit?
>>
>>7757722
yes. Buried Giant is superiot to NLMG. NLMG is liek a mid-tier ishiguro work. good, but flawed.

>>7757705
saing nlmg > buried giant is absurd. are you just getting into raeding?

anyway my ishiguro power rankin gthat i've been spamming here:

unconsoled > remains of the day = buried giant > nlmg > good nocturned > when we were orphans > bad nocturnes

currently reading pale view of hills and will get in artist of the floating word in the near future too.
>>
>>7755635
I read her first book and it was so fucking bad
Never gonna read that book
>>
>>7757556
Look anon go for about a week and then you will be good.

That way you can make a top 50 and rig the votes to put in one or two of your personal favorites into the pool without anyone noticing.
>>
>>7757556
>Cloud Atlas
>House of Leaves
>The Corrections
>Kafka on the Shore
>The Road
AHAHAHAHA and you faggots think you have good taste
Oh that's hilarious
>>
>>7755908
if you say so...
>>
>>7757766
You have to post your 'patrician' taste when making posts like this.
>>
>>7757766
I have good taste I think all of those are garbage :)
>>
>>7757771
I voted for:
Middle C
Cannonball
>>
>>7757783
All generic /lit/-core meme books by meme authors. Good job being a boring conformist.
>>
>>7757792
They're memes for a reason big boy
>>
>>7757810
Is 2666 really that wack? I got the box thingy for 12$ at used store. It's kinda beat up but w/e
>>
>>7757817
It's good it's just long and boring :^)
>>
>>7756973
Not him, but it really is outstanding.
To me, it feels at once original and experimental, traditional and "carefully" or even "masterfully" crafted.

Basically, just try it out. The only reason to shy away from it would be if you can’t for the life of you stand long sentences. Then you should wait for "The World Goes on" and read that.
>>
>>7757858
You're a slav, aren't you? Sorry but I want a true American opinion, you might be biased.
>>
>>7757858
I'm so tired of reading translations. I think I let the memes get to me.
>>
>>7757556
>be OP
>want new chart because bawwww lit taste hasn't changed significantly from May 2015 to October 2015 to March 2016
>make thread about one dedicated to 21st century lit, though the 21st isn't even 1/4 of the way done
>give up
>make chart after 70-ish posts
>thread has existed almost 24 hours
>the best and most rigorous lit chart took weeks to make, people could vote for weeks, and tie breakers were done fairly as needed
>>
>>7757863
No, I’m from Germany. For some reason the translation for his new book was out much faster here.
>>
>>7757865
well this is what the author in this case has to say about them:
>What do you think are the advantages, disadvantages or dangers of translation?
>LÁSZLÓ KRASZNAHORKAI — I won’t say anything about advantages and disadvantages but I will address the question of dangers because they simply don’t exist. The translated work, in my opinion, is in no way to be identified with the original in a different language. That is an absurdity. The translated work is the work of the translator, not the author. The author’s work is that which comprises the story as written in the original language. The translated work is a new work in the language deployed by the translator, a work of which the translator is the composer, and resembles – more or less, as members of a family resemble each other – the original work. The author simply looks on and reads: the text is familiar, occasionally very familiar, to him and he is delighted when it looks good, and rages when it looks bad. I have only ever once raged, at the German translation of War and War which turned out a bad book. It was almost impossible to repair. Who would take on a new translation? That was very difficult. But apart from that every translation of my work has filled me with wonder. I have marvellous translators.

so yeah, you won't be reading the original, but unless you're a german reading war and war, you're still in for a wonderful experience
>>
>>7757878
The survey is still open. If people want to vote they can, and I'll release the votes whenever. Someone else should make the chart with the data then though because my image editing skills are awful.
>>
Munro's The View From Castle Rock needs some love
>>
>>7753982
Neuromaani
Min Kamp
>>
>>7754678
The book is better by far.
>>
>>7757885
even readers of a book written in their native language are reading a translation, so to speak
>>
>>7757947
>by far
Nah. You're brainwashed kiddo.
>>
>>7757884
Did you read both books in German? How is it compared to English? Which of the two do you like better?

I'm a Nazi but I detest reading in German to be honest.
>>
you should include a vote count op
>>
>>7757955
Woah so profound.
>>
>>7754702
I think there are plenty of things to appreciate.. If nothing more, its an absolute fucking triumph of tone. I've never read fiction that has so commanded a certain atmosphere without once cashing in on it. It just perpetually flirts with this eeriness and paranoia and its absolutely addicting because of it.
>>
>>7757936
>Neuromaani
Any details on that? Everything that Google turns up for me right now is Finnish.
>>
>>7757988
It's not translated.
>>
Against the Country
The Marbled Swarm
Night Soul and Other Stories
>>
>>7753982
The Beauty of the Husband - Anne Carson
>>
>>7753982
The Road
House of Leaves
The Kindly Ones

how do we stop samefagging?
>>
>>7761205
By voting in the survey, nigger.
>>
>>7753982
>Favorite books that came out in 2000 or newer
>implying
>...
>have I even read any of these
>try the Savage Detectives
>1998
>try Mason & Dixon
>1997
>try Voice of the Fire
>1996
>try the Rings of Saturn
>1995
Fuck, I give up.
>>
File: Zeitoun.jpg (180 KB, 728x1000) Image search: [Google]
Zeitoun.jpg
180 KB, 728x1000
Anyone else read this? I thought it was great
>>
>>7753982
submission - michel houlebecq
>>
>>7761358
It was a pretty good story, but it was journalism, not literature.
>>
>>7755076
>and and and and
Triggered

>>7755083
>But the faces Junge was making didn’t have anything to do with Sisyphus, thought Bubis.
Got me good
>>
>>7753982
Current top 10 standings:

1. 2666
2. House of Leaves
3. My Struggle / The Road TIED
5. Seiobo There Below
6. A Visit from the Goon Squad
7. Submission
8. Kafka on the Shore
9. Middle C
10. Austerlitz
>>
>>7757740
>unconsoled
Hipster tier. Ishiguro is cool though, I can't wait for his next novel, I wonder when it's going to happen since Giant just came out.
>>
>>7757968
Well I didn’t read Krasznahorkai’s books in English (it’s translated anyway, so what is the point?), so I can’t compare them.
Apparently "War and War" is terrible in German (see further above), but I didn’t read that.
The ones I read so far are Seiobo, "The World Goes on" and "From the North by Hill, From the South by Lake, From the West by Roads, From the East by River". (Giving English titles just so nobody has to look them up.)
I didn’t feel like anything might be badly translated, while reading. And certainly German seems to lend itself rather well to Krasznahorkai’s style.
>>
>>7759152
Yes, but what kind of book is it? I’m just intrigued because it sounds like an allusion to Neuromancer.
>>
>>7761561
I just read the opening paragraph (more like sentence) of both Seiobo and Die Welt voran (I like this one a little more) and I'm not impressed. It's a good experimental work and I can see why people would like it, but it just feels like very long rambling to me. Not my cup, I guess.
>>
>>7761564
It's not related to Neuromancer at all, as far as I know. More like Neu + Roman. And the plot is related to neurology.
>>
>>7761624
The author did his thesis on Pynchon though, so he could be considered a meme.
>>
How are dfw and pynchon not in the top 5?
>>
>>7761713
>21st century
Their newer books aren't that great.
>>
>>7761729
The Pale King is the greatest novel since Infinite Jest
>>
>>7761841
lmao
>>
>>7761524
he averages a book every 5 years. Brief giant took 6. So you have a while.

How is unconsoled hipster tier it's objectively his best book ; [
>>
I have a sudden urge to read The Road and House of Leaves
>>
>>7762379
The Road is really boring, don't get why people like it to be honest.
>>
File: da peregrine.jpg (12 KB, 217x346) Image search: [Google]
da peregrine.jpg
12 KB, 217x346
The Body Artist
The Road
>>
when will the chart be final? im waiting to post on /r/books
>>
>>7762133

So a bit off topic, but I've always wondered. What do authors do to sustain themselves if they only write one book every 4-5 years? Do they make enough money to last that long? Do they generally have a career outside of literature?
>>
>>7762567
Here's a preliminary one >>7757556 but people said to keep it going for like a week so we'll do that.
>>
>>7762572
Yes, most are professors or writing teachers. Its actually very rare for authors to be self sustaining just in literature.
>>
>>7757810
>memes for a reason
Doesn't mean that reason is a good one. Religion is a successful meme precisely because it seduces people into joining for the sole purpose of acquiring submissive pussy that will produce children.
>>
>>7753982
>tfw you want to check the call numbers to see if any books are out of order but the resolution is too weak
>>
>>7754304
1Q84 is garbage and you should feel bad.
>>
>>7754304
Objectively the worst taste in this thread.
>>
>>7754304
Kill yourself
>>
>>7762809
>>7762790
>>7762847
Believe it or not, but two people voted for it. Also a vote for Ready Player One and The Kite Runner.
>>
>>7762854
Ready player 1 is good
>>
>>7763367
>Ready player 1 is good
>>
I really don't understand people who value Submission that high... I mean, I can't think of many good 21st century books but this one is an insult to previous works by Houellebecq and in itself it's at best an easy beach read that provides satisfying amounts of edginess and sex scenes. Not the worst but not top 20 for sure
>>
>>7763425
Ready Player 1 is good
>>
1.Austerlitz
2.Seiobo There Below
3.The Hall of Uselessness
>>
I like 10:04 by Ben Lerner but it's probably considered pleb shit on here.
>>
>>7757556
God it fucking disgusts me how pedestrian lits taste is.

Also where the fuck is meme man McElroy?
>>
>over 150 posts
>no marías

cmon /lit/
>>
File: Contemporary_novellas.jpg (3 MB, 3000x3312) Image search: [Google]
Contemporary_novellas.jpg
3 MB, 3000x3312
Why doesn't lit even try to have interesting taste?
>>
>>7763727
>tfw that chart's four years old now

Ought to update to include the last four years of new works and translations.

Charts that are popularity-based are always going to be bland. At least OP's not pretending it counts as the representative best, and is just /lit/'s favorites.
>>
>>7763561
a bunch of my friends like him, but I'm in KC and I just figured he was a local celeb. Haven't read anything, more of a non-fiction person.
>>
>>7763755
>Ought
There's a difference between "ought" and "is"
>>
>>7763819
I'm not sure what you're saying. I just didn't say "I" before ought.
>>
>>7762720
*tips fedora
>>
>>7763826
I think he's a crazy person. Just back away slowly.
>>
>>7763755
>update it

The most interesting aspect about it is the taste itself. Actually far more interesting than the idea of creating a shitty board consensus that filters out any possibility of showing refined taste.
>>
>>7763518

>>7763425
>>
>>7763805
I'm from England but I heard him giving a radio interview and decided to give his fiction a look, ended up finding it surprisingly enjoyable.
>>
Top 10 Standings:

1. 2666
2. House of Leaves
3. The Road / My Struggle TIED
5. Seiobo There Below
6. Kafka on the Shore
7. Austerlitz
8. A Visit from the Goon Squad
9. Submission
10. Middle C
>>
>>7765060
just end this fucking board it's over
>>
>>7765060
>the road
wtf

>Kafka on the Shore
Sooooo Bland
>>
>>7765085
There's a lot of things that KotS is, but bland isn't one of them.
>>
>>7765087
Found the /reddit/

It's always so obvious
>>
>you share a board with people who unironically like murakami
>their tastes will be included on a meme list that will get endlessly reposted and considered /lit/'s taste
>>
>>7765697
>>7765707
>anything I don't like is bad and Reddit
Well memed.
>>
>>7765713
>Well memed.

A-am I doing it right guys? Us 4channers, right? H-heh.
>>
>>7765068
post your top 10 of the 21st century then fag muffin
>>
I would say
1. Tom McCarthy: Satin Island
2. Middle C_: Thomas Gass
3.Against the Day: Thomas Pynchon
4. Brief History of 7 Killings: Marlon Brown
>>
>>7765986
McCarthy bro.
Did you like C?
>>
>>7755051
> The Disappearing Spoon

Are we thinking of the same book about chemistry? Because if so it doesn't deserve a place on the list.
>>
>>7754371
This really was a fun/ fast read.
>>
>>7755028
Look, a youngster.
>>
>>7755028
Sounds like you havent read much
>>
>>7763727
Most of these weren't published past 2000 dumbass
Fuck people like you make me mad
>>
Votes have drastically slowed down, and we are at 80~ individual voters with over 200 book votes now. What number should we hit for a top 20?
>>
>>7754371
only thing I remember about that trash book is the ass eating scene
>>
>the road
>murakami
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>7768501
Murakami is the best living author.
>>
Is there anywhere you can see when a new book of an author is coming out / if one is planned at a glance, without stalking specific ones?
>>
>>7768502
He's not even a top 5 living author.
>>
>>7768818
who is the top 5 then
>>
>>7768502

Triggered.
>>
>>7769018
Ishiguro, Roth, Pynchon, McCarthy, Munro
>>
>>7769101
>Pynchon
>living
The only one on that list that can stand up to Murakami is Ishiguro.
>>
Why is /lit/ so triggered by Murakami again?

Is it because women read him?
>>
>>7769162
[GH]OH[ST] [S]NAPPA
>>
>>7769162
If it is accessible and doesn't have Ulysses tier prose it's automatically pleb, didn't you know

He's a good author, although his latest two books were weak. I hope his next one picks up again.
>>
>>7769162
He's massively overrated he's neither a good author nor a bad one.
>>
>>7767477
>implying I didn't post it for the bottom 3 rows as example.

Faggot
>>
Kind of a weird feeling knowing that some people who are going to be great influential writers are 10 years old right now. The next Wallace could be shitting his diapers as we speak.
>>
>>7769162
the reason I'm not his biggest fan is becuase his novels tend to be total hit or misses.

that aside the only reason /lit/ shits on him is because he's fairly popular outside this board, thus forcing the contrarian special snowflakes to hate on him.

read Kafka on the Shore and Norwegian Wood
>>
>>7770005
>is becuase his novels tend to be total hit or misses.
Do they? He has like 6~ solid books and a couple blunders, but even compared to great authors who usually only manage 1-4 noticeable works that's a pretty good track record. And he's still relatively young and could possibly write his magnum opus that trumps WUBC (although I have some doubts here 1Q84 and Colorless were shit, maybe he learned from his mistakes for his next book).
>>
>>7769659
>The next Wallace could be shitting his diapers as we speak.
>Implying DFW didn't use diapers in his adult yearsm
>>
Asterios Polyp
1Q84
My Twisted World
11/22/63
>>
>tfw new to reading
>tfw no idea how to keep up with contemporary literature
Where do you guys go to know what's up and coming and the like? /lit/ doesn't tend to discuss much contemporary literature in my admittedly short stint browsing here. Any good sites for reviews and news and such?
>>
>>7755028
Sorry but unlike other mediums literature hasn't gone to shit in the 21st century, it is eternal.
>>
>>7754321
Gay
>>
>>7770255
see
>>7765060
Just search the titles in this thread in Google until you hit one that sounds interesting.
>>
>>7770261
>literature hasn't gone to shit in the 21st century

My sides.
>>
>>7766197
Heyyy, dont see many Tom Mccarthy bros here on lit. I think it's only a matter of time before they give him a booker. Probably should have gotten it for C. I thought when he was shortlisted for Satin Island they would give it to him to make up for the C snub (booker always does shit like that) But to be honest Remainder might be my favorite of all his works. Men in space was my least favorite of the four I read. You can't go wrong with any of his top 3 though in my opinion... I only include satin island on this list because most havent read him and I view it as his tCoL49- equally genius as Remainder and C, and a good shorter introduction to his style.
>>
>>7770398
It's gonna be the greatest century of literature before we even reach halfway through.
>>
>>7770431
cont.
And once he gets the booker he will catch on here on lit (see: marlon james, julian barnes etc.)
>>
>>7770438
Both of those are pretty much one hit wonders.
>>
>>7770445
hmm I think Barnes won the booker for his previous work (flauberts parrot and England, England) and James' Book of Night Women is a nice novel.. but these are just my opinions
>>
>>7770398
We've had some fucking great books that are in no way worse than other centuries. This isn't /v/ where you were born in le wrong generation and everything is shit
>>
ANY updates?
>>
>>7757731

>Worth the read or gimmicky bullshit

Both. Honestly it's a great book but I could see the unique structure driving some people up the wall.

My votes:

>Europe Central
>The Last Samurai - DeWitt
>The Kindly Ones
>>
>>7771899
>>7768405
At 87 responses now.
>>
>>7771984
>>The Kindly Ones
nig.
>>
Standings

1. 2666
2. House of Leaves
3. The Road / My Struggle TIED
5. Seiobo There Below
6. Kafka on the Shore
7. Austerlitz
8. Submission
9. The Corrections
10. Never Let Me Go
>>
I thought ishiguro writes girly romance stuff.
>>
>>7772462
And I guess I should post 11-20 too, although there's more ties here (how to deal with tie breakers?):

11. A Visit from the Goon Squad
12. Europe Central / Taipei / Middle C TIED
15. A Brief History of Seven Killings
16. Inherent Vice / The Pale King TIED
18. The Map and the Territory
19. Against the Day / The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao / The Buried Giant / Cloud Atlas TIED
>>
>>7772488
>Inherent Vice / The Pale King TIED
Fucking showdown.
>>
>people unironically fall for the Taipei meme
w e w
>>
>>7770509
I was born in the right generation. The classics are freely available to me and I don't have to step foot outside the house.
>>
>>7754371
If you liked that, I recommend Chabon's "The Final Solution"; it's a maddeningly fun Sherlock Holmes story about him comingnout of retirement amidst WWII to help find a boy's missing parrot that may or may not be unknowingly squawking secret military code.

It's a very short book, too. It's not a /lit/-approved magnum opus but it's some neat light reading.
>>
>no Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
This century has been pretty good for fantasy.
>>
>>7757740
never let me go REALLY pissed me off, and i was wanting more out of it than ~tragic love story~. the writing wasn't bad though, just a bad plot so i do want to read some more of his stuff. is unconsoled a good one to try next snce you rate it highest or should i go read remains of the day first since it's the more better known out of the bunch?
>>
>>7773916
>and i was wanting more out of it than ~tragic love story~.
That was never in the forefront. The novel is about resignation.

Read Remains.
>>
>>7773916
i'm not him, and the unconsoled is by far his best imo. remains of the day is also great though, it's just a question of whether you want a weird kafka dreamscape of an artist's insecurities manifested themselves in an european town or if you would prefer the realistic unspoken regrets of an emotionally stunted english butler filtered through the rosy opium haze of memory
>>
>>7754572

Came here to post this. Great novel
>>
>>7773916

>>7773961 hit it pretty well. I would personally recommend against reading The Unconsoled until you're 2 - 3 books into Ishiguro. It's his most "out there" book.

I recommend Remains of the Day or The Buried Giant. Remains if you want realism and what >>7773961 described; Buried Giant if you're down for a better written "genre" work.

I recommend reading Cellists from the Nocturnes collection (it's brief) and if you like the themes and subject matter there, you should then definitely read the Unconsoled.
>>
>>7773961
>i'm not him
>exact same writing style
Hm...
>>
>>7774256
my assessment of his works isn't essential to me being, or not being, the original poster. if you would prefer to think i am in fact that original guy that's also fine
>>
I'm glad to see A Visit from the Goon Squad getting so much attention, even if it's only #11 atm. I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned on /lit/ before.
>>
>>7774271
(maybe people who like ishiguro also automatically type like fags like this for some reason and that's why our posting style seems so suspiciously similar)
>>
>>7772488
I'll add my vote for a brief history of seven killings to get it up the list.
>>
>>7774318
Use the survey in the OP.
>>
>>7774279
am ishigurofag, can confirm
>>
>>7774279
>>7774376
Are you sure you aren't just schizophrenic lel
>>
File: Capture.png (53 KB, 1119x695) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
53 KB, 1119x695
>>7774379
pretty sure fampai
>>
Gentle bump.
>>
Never let me go at#10?

They book was terrible
>>
>>7775958
I liked the setting, although I felt like the 'climax' was pretty mild. Expected a little more.
>>
It's been a week, and votes came to a standstill. Guess it's time to finalize it
>>
>>7753982
Final results are here, if someone would like to volunteer to make a chart, that'd be great. Else I'll have to make one with my below mediocre image editing skills.

01. 2666 - Bolaño
02. House of Leaves - Danielewski
03. The Road - McCarthy
04. My Struggle - Knausgård
05. Seiobo There Below - Krasznahorkai
06. Submission - Houellebecq
07. Kafka on the Shore - Murakami
08. Austerlitz - Sebald
09. The Corrections - Franzen
10. Never Let Me Go - Ishiguro
11. A Visit from the Goon Squad - Egan
12. A Brief History of Seven Killings - James
13. Europe Central - Vollmann
14. The Pale King - Wallace
15. Middle C - Gass
16. Inherent Vice - Pynchon
17. Taipei - Lin
18. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Díaz
19. The Map and the Territory - Houellebecq
20. Cloud Atlas - Mitchell

Fun facts:
- Bolaño's 2666 got the overwhelming majority of the votes, at 33 individual votes. Every third person voted for his novel
- Egan is the only female author present
- Houellebecq is the only author to appear twice on the list
- Seiobo There Below is the unexpected underdog and least popular novel on the list with only 400~ goodreads ratings, yet placing highly
- Pynchon nor Wallace got any votes at all, until the latter half of the vote in which they spiked
>>
>>7777860
thanks for the thread op
>>
>>7777860
>only one spanish language writer when they are putting the best novels/short stories right now
stay pleb, /lit/
>>
>>7777873
He's #1 though, what more do you want you fucking spic.
>>
>>7777873
Name something that is even half as good as 2666 and we can talk.
>>
>>7777860
Any troll responses?
>>
>>7777922
A bunch of Infinite Jests, people inserting "OP is a fag" into the three lines and some pleb books like The Kite Runner and Ready Player One. Nothing too notable
>>
>>7777901
I want people to find out great literature. I like and I own most of those books, but you can find all them in a Guardian list or something. I'm not a spic, btw. Spanish is my third language

>>7777910
Your post doesn't make sense, I love Bolaño and I wasn't complaining about him
>>
>>7778039
Making it obvious that you're an ESL huh. The post was saying that if you can find something even HALF as good as 2666, it is worth looking over. So, what are your picks?
>>
>>7778049
any Marías - Thus Bad Begins, The Infatuations and especially Your Face Tomorrow

any Zambra - his novels/novellas are very short, you can read them in a few hours. Check out also the short stories collection My Documents, it's fantastic.

any Alan Pauls - he is barely known in the anglosphere. The Past, his memoir/essays book La Vida Descalzo and his Argentina en los Años '70 trilogy are all amazing works

Javier Cercas is pretty good too. You can start with Soldiers of Salamis (Bolaño is a character here)

and there is Vila-Matas. But I think you'll only enjoy him if you like metafiction and fifteen art references per page
>>
>>7778039
>>7778221
did you vote for any of these?
>>
>>7778233
Your Face Tomorrow, The Past and I can't remember the third one, maybe OP can help (I think it was Thus Bad Begins)
>>
>>7778244
Your third vote was The Museum of Innocence written by a turk.
>>
>>7777860
Thanks, gonna pick up Seiobo.
Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.