[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a good ways into this and I am starting to feel overwhelmed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
I'm a good ways into this and I am starting to feel overwhelmed with everything that is going on. At one point I thought getting into this may have been a mistake because of how dense and massive it is, but it is turning out to be one of the best reads I have had in a long time.
>>
>>7752413
cool blog post
>>
>that shit
>dense
sage
>>
>>7752413
Sounds like you are on books 2-5.

"Enjoy" the rest.

Also, it always turned me off that it was written around a card game that never came out.
>>
>>7752419
Not op, but that shit is 7000 pages. The prose isn't a journey but it's still massive.
>>
>>7752422
Literally no reason to read that crap
>>
>>7752422
>reading 7000 pages of that shit

i guess if ur 12 and have the goal of attending a state university
>>
The fact that this shit is sequestered to a general is one of the few things that make /lit/ readable >>7751365
>>
>>7752422
That's the opposite of dense.
>>
I've breezed through most of the series until Reaper's Gale. This book is kind of fucked with its juggling but at least it has Karsa Orlong.
>>
>>7752422
might as well read something decent

like infinite jest
>>
>>7752413
These kind of books are the equivalent of skinner box simulator video games only instead of item drops you get characters dropped on you so hard it makes you autistic if you actually remember all that inane shit
>>
>all this hate on the book by people who haven't even read it

Yes we get it, you're a cultured 'patrician' and all 'genre fiction' is thrash. You guys are pathetic, really.
>>
>>7754287
I actually think deadhouse gates and house of chains are top tier fantasy. Too bad there is so much fuckin bloat.
>>
>>7754287
I read some of it and thought it was dumb Dragon Ball Z-tier shit
>>
>>7755239
>i will parrot shit other people said

Man I thought you fags only did this for DFW and other "wine sipping, hat tipping" books, not genre fiction.
>>
>>7755239
>Dragon Ball Z-tier
So...excellent?
>>
>>7755250
>other people have said that
Sounds like my judgment was accurate lmao

>>7755258
lol
>>
>>7755266
They said(and you copied) that it's all about "power levels" and people going super Saiyan.

You guys haven't read "genre fiction" if you think that Malazan is DBZ tier.
>>
>>7755287
If anything it is Yugi-oh or Magic the Gathering tier.
>>
>>7755287
Ah actually I think you're right, though I did it unconsciously and only b/c it's accurate

>>7755302
I only read the first book and some of the second but I don't recall the cards being used to that extent, and I think they were mostly for divination. IDR though since I read it like 10 years ago.
>>
>>7755324
Pretty much every major character gets a card assigned to them at one point or another.

Steward OF CHAINZZ!
>>
>>7755326
How is that Yugioh tier?

Are they using the heart of the cards? Does fiddler pull wins out his ass by "trusting in the heart of the cards" du-du-duuuu-duel
>>
>>7755287
But that's actually an accurate assessment of it

>>7755338
Why exactly would /lit/ be supposed to know how Yugioh works beyond "lol cards"?
>>
>>7755338
No but the "gods" at the end are pretty obviously playing cards with individuals. Fiddler, Karsa, etc are literally Charizard

Im pretty sure Erickson wrote it like that so that if it ever caught harry potter big he could roll an rpg cardgame out of it and scoop up the $$$$.
>>
>>7755352
Because Zizek mentions Yu-Gi-Oh in a footnote in his book on Hegel
>>
>>7755364
Uhhh if you know anything about Pokemon cards then you know Blastoise>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>every other card, entire decks are built around getting him out as fast as possible
>>
>12 posters
>26 replies
samefagging memes
>>
File: Karsa_2.jpg (1004 KB, 1375x1125) Image search: [Google]
Karsa_2.jpg
1004 KB, 1375x1125
The deviantart for Malazan is truly tragic.
>>
>>7755380
>obvious discussion
>FUCKIN NORMIES STOP TALKING TO EACH OTHER
>>
>>7755324
The main things I remember from the book btw are when a girl pees herself before getting possessed and when a thief ends up feeling guilty over looking at a girl's tits after robbing her while she's sleeping
>>
>>7755381
>you gonna split me in two with that thing
>proceeds to mount
>>
There are approximately 8889 pages of that series. In those many pages, you could be reading actual classics of the fantasy genre, like The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, The Worm Ouroboros, A Princess of Mars, A Voyage to Arcturus, the majority of Conan stories, The Earthsea books, and many more wonderful stories that aren't based on a neckbeards D&D campaign.
>>
>>7755843
most of those books suck also tho
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.