[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I get some recommendations on books regarding cinema (creation,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
Can I get some recommendations on books regarding cinema (creation, appreciation, criticism, philosophy of)?

So far, the list I made looks like this.

Cahiers du cinéma
What is cinema - André Bazin
S/Z - Roland Barthes
An introduction to the structural analysis of narratives - Roland Barthes
Signs and meaning in the cinema - Peter Wollen
Narrative discourse - Gerard Genette
Art as technique - Viktor Shlovsky
Morphology of the folk tale - Vladimir Propp
The hero with a thousand faces - Joseph Campbell
Narrative fiction: Contemporary Poetics - Rimmon Kenan

I intend to start with What is Cinema but afterwards I'm not sure in what order to attack it though. Pointers regarding that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you
>>
Just read Petronius and get erectile dysfunction
>>
How about some books that are like 8 1/2?
>>
Sculpting in Time by Andrie Tarkovskii.
>>
>>7751198
The Image - Jacques Aumont
Essays by Sergei Eisenstein
How to read a film - James Monaco
Film Art: An Introduction - David Bordwell (he also wrote a huge book on film history which is great.)
Id start with something more general like the Bordwell books or How to read a film, a lot of the stuff that you have in the list expects broad knowlege of film theory.
>>
>>7751421
Tarkovsky was a hack. Get the fuck out, pleb.
>>
>>7751418
apparently he was influenced by musil but i don't see it at all. i don't even like musil that much but the difference in quality is just too staggering a comparison.
>>
File: image.jpg (312 KB, 922x1300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
312 KB, 922x1300
>>7751198
I used to own Fellini on Fellini but its not much of a book.

His best film is arguably the one on Rome itself. It concerns the forum exclusively, throughout centuries of Roman history.
>>
>>7751481
>>7751418
He was also influenced by Jung and mysticism. He even undergone an lsd test by his psychoanalyst.
>>
this thread had so much promise.
>>
5 C's of Cinematography by Joseph v. Mascelli, his techniques, materialized just after the end if the "golden age" of cinema, are still in practice to this day.
>>
File: diaz_century.jpg (36 KB, 400x305) Image search: [Google]
diaz_century.jpg
36 KB, 400x305
Hey, perfect thread for me to shill my wares, I'm trying to start a film theory/criticism blog with people from /lit/ and /film/

The quick pitch is that its a film criticism blog where people can write about movies and film theory and stuff and hopefully I can get enough people on board to get a lot of content up and we'll see where it goes. I can't figure out how to post links without my post getting marked as spam, but just to gauge preliminary interest, would anybody be interested in doing some film writing?
>>
>>7753312
More info here
>>
>>7753312
>>7753334
wew lad. shilling here harder than the Clinton campaign
>>
>>7753312
how much are you willing to pay?
>>
>>7753312
>>7753334
It's shit. Kill yourself
>>
>>7753726
wew lad. edge too strong with this one.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.