[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>book arrives in mail >start to read it >realize that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: joyce_ulysses%5B1%5D.jpg (41 KB, 387x520) Image search: [Google]
joyce_ulysses%5B1%5D.jpg
41 KB, 387x520
>book arrives in mail
>start to read it
>realize that I'm way too awake to get through even one column
>read it later at night
>realize that I'm way too tired to comprehend any of it

Did I buy into the meme?
>>
>>7750508
no, you're just a dimwit
>>
>>7750508
>too awake to get through even one column

get an attention span
>>
>>7750508
>>realize that I'm way too awake to get through even one column

How are awake to read something? What does this even mean?
>>
Anyway, I just finished it today. What an amazing ending, I had to reread it aloud to myself and it brought me to tears, the scene described was ridiculously beautiful. Still, I feel like the great passages was far from each other and it was tough to get through many of the chapters. Will it get easier with next read-through?

Also, I didn't even read Hamlet before approaching it. Shot myself in the foot there.
>>
Is Mulligan a NEET?
>>
>>7751046
ya
>>
>>7750508
my sides are in critical condition
>>
You read it on June 16 and it'll be fine. If you're arrested before you get to the brothel, you're doing it right.
>>
>>7750508
Madness. Cultivate mindfulness so you arent wasting energy on your ADHD
>>
I'm guessing you're just a /li/ newbie who started reading maybe 6 months and always read that Ulysses is the greatest book in the western canon and really wanted to experience it but just realize you don't have the lifetime of exposure to the western canon required to enjoy it.
>>
>>7751046
He's a med student. Or at least the guy he was based on was one.
>>
>>7751487
Yeah pretty much.
Should I just go back to shitty meme books?
>>
>>7751487
You don't need a lifetime of exposure to the western canon to enjoy it. Whoever came up with that meme is retarded.
>>
>>7751528
You could read the very basic literature one should read before Ulysses which is something like The Illiad, The Odyssey, Divine Comedy, Hamlet, Dubliners and The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
>>
>>7750508
why the fuck do you waste money when you can just read a few capthers on the internet and decide byourself???
Anyway, im glad that idiots like you get what deserve.
>>
File: smug.jpg (35 KB, 474x569) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
35 KB, 474x569
>>7751540
>He thinks he understands Ulysses
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>7751572
>he thinks "enjoy" means "understand"
>>
File: 1451863909211.png (1 MB, 856x894) Image search: [Google]
1451863909211.png
1 MB, 856x894
>>7751580
>He finds enjoyment without understanding
>>
File: 1446951180806.jpg (61 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1446951180806.jpg
61 KB, 960x720
>>7751588
>emotions must have rational justifications
>>
Stephen and the rest of the characters chapters are really interesting but Bloom's put me to sleep, they're so goddamn mundane.
>>
>>7751765
I'm only about 250 pages in, but I think otherwise.
Stephen is really sympathetic and Bloom is entertaining because of his dry humour, but everyone else is just so bland.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.