[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good morning/afternoon /lit/. How is your Saturday so far? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13
File: IMG_20160227_110856.jpg (2 MB, 3006x5263) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160227_110856.jpg
2 MB, 3006x5263
Good morning/afternoon /lit/. How is your Saturday so far? What are you reading?
>>
>>7750165
ACOK nice choice mate.
>>
>>7750173
Newest issue of Tin House came in. That and GR
>>
>>7750165
Little over halfway through mythology. Good for a nice overview.
>>
Taking a break for lunch right now, but I'm reading Fear and Trembling. It's pretty good so far, haven't even gotten to the problemata though. But I like what he's saying.
>>
>>7750165
Basically HBO's Girls but with Boys, except I have a feeling these ones are not going to thrive.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 4032x3024
gyess
>>
Slogging through Proteus. It's a drag, but man, was Joyce a genius.
>>
>>7750447
Proteus is the best part of the book. Fucking loved it mate.
>>
>>7750477
Eh, so far I liked Nestor better because Deasy was such a self-righteous idiot. And because Sargent reminds me of myself when I was young.
>mathematics
But I won't form my opinion on the novel as a whole yet because I still have 800 pages ahead of me.
>>
>>7750539
You're a fucking dweeb,but, I'm not going to knock you too much for loving the sun flung spangles, dancing coins.
>>
>>7750165
Reading Suttree and drinking coffee. Liking it, but I liked Blood Meridian better.

Feel a little shitty because I was drinking last night. Gonna go out and vote soon. Really need to quit my job. The consequences are really starting to outweigh the benefits.
>>
>>7750548
I know that feel bro
>>
>>7750544
Thanks anon, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Also, DFW blatantly ripped off that coin simile in the beginning of the Pale King. Does that mean he never got further than Nestor?
>>
Reading The Man Who Sleeps by Georges Perec.

Then probably I am going to finish Symposium by Plato.
>>
Taking a small break from Crime and Punishment by reading Murakami's short stories. No one can make me feel so comfortable as Murakami can, no matter the story.
>>
>>7750633
>Murakami's short stories.
Japanese Borges is great.
>>
I'm reading The Man Without Qualities, it's cool. My day's been okay but as usual too many distractions and not as much reading done as I wanted. Now my gf's home and blasting rap music so no chance of productivity until she goes to bed. But whatever, I'm chilling.

>>7750643

That's really way more praise than he deserves, but yeah, his short stories are better than his novels.
>>
File: 1446158253289.png (702 KB, 691x701) Image search: [Google]
1446158253289.png
702 KB, 691x701
>>7750654
>>That's really way more praise than he deserves
Agree, but, I see him called that a lot here.
>>
been working my way through Chronicle of a death foretold and then might try and finish Snow Country today as well. My library books are due in a few days and I am out of renews so I am trying to get them done
>>
File: 1443741756143.png (302 KB, 828x1403) Image search: [Google]
1443741756143.png
302 KB, 828x1403
Dubliners.

Proper comfy
>>
>>7750657
>>7750654
>>7750643
It's a meme, don't acknowledge it
>>
File: TPTOPAA.jpg (4 KB, 128x192) Image search: [Google]
TPTOPAA.jpg
4 KB, 128x192
Got this at my library cuz some cheeky cunt has Leviathan out right now. Gotta become a physician of the state, and a philosopher-king 2bh.
>>
Finishing up Don Quixote. It's been a long ride.
>>
File: 1455754069509.jpg (27 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1455754069509.jpg
27 KB, 255x255
>>7750293
Autobiography of Milton Hershey?
>>
>>7750165
Tired as hell, haven't been able to read in awhile but feel like tonight won't be any different.
Still reading ' How to Read a Book' because I feel that I am not engaging enough with the literature that Iam reading. Excellent read overall, it's not that astounding or game-changing. Most of the points that are brought up seem quite evident. Yet it is always good for someone to get back to the basics once in awhile, and think more thoroughly about what an individual is trying to achieve when he or she reads a book.

After that I'll continue with the Illiad, haven't read it since I was 14, I am 24 more now.
>>
>>7750831
I recommend going outside your house to read so you feel obligated to justify the trip and disconnected from distractions in your home.
>>
File: dfg.jpg (20 KB, 399x400) Image search: [Google]
dfg.jpg
20 KB, 399x400
>tfw you check Dilthey and Collingwood out from the library, go home, completely forget about them, masturbate and play Icewind Dale
>>
>>7750783
How long have you been reading it?
>>
>tfw stuck at work for another 4 hours and not being comfy and reading foucalts pendulum
>>
File: 70552.jpg (120 KB, 258x400) Image search: [Google]
70552.jpg
120 KB, 258x400
>>
It's ok, but seems like a short story that she tried hard to turn into a 450 pages novel.
Half into it.
A mysterious group of Greek students kill a friend at Bennington in Vermont (where Tartt studied with BEE)
>>
>>7750889
DEAD
>>
>>7750943
students *studying Greek
>>
I've been memed hard so I'm reading the Illiad, I find it pretty difficult but I'm going to finnish it.

I'm also reading some poetry by Gustav Fröding, I'm Swedish so I can read him in original language.
>>
Finishing Under the Volcano. Why is it never discussed here?
>>
>>7751044

There used to be a Lowry poster here. Haven't seen mention of it in a while. It's great. The feeling of disintegration it expresses -- the letter in the bar, the body in the ditch, the bullfight and discussion thereof -- really hits home. It's like a proto-pynchonian map of entropy.
>>
>>7750165
what distro and wm is that?
>>
>>7751107
I'm running Arch with cinnamon
>>
>>7750953
is it even really all that interesting? i think i want to read orlando furioso instead.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>7750165
I'm now on day three of being stuck in bed with the flu so I'm still slightly dottled and my mind is very foggy - I keep getting confused by mundain and normal things. Due to that, I'm sat reading the memoirs of Groucho Marx as it's interesting but a very simple read.

Stoner arrived today in the post so I'll be starting that when I feel better.
>>
>>7751175
>meme
not really, unless you've had a lot of shit thrown your way when you were younger and dealt with it through suppression and psychotic dominance.
>>
>>7751221
do you feel that you've gotten anything out of it? also, have you read don quixote? how might you compare the two? which would you say you preferred? i'll probably end up reading the iliad anyway, or at least some of it.
>>
Halfway through The Grand Chessboard my friend, good shit so far.
>>
>>7750165
is this bait?
>>
>>7751361
>do you feel that you've gotten anything out of it
a better understanding of the roots of ancient ideals that leads to society wide falsification.

>don quixote
haven't finished it, but brilliant. Has an assumptive repudiation for much of ancient/medieval ideology. a profound subjective understanding, more modern than many of our brightest minds today.

The assumption of the Illiad is objective "ough", and if you're not aspiring or attaining the ought, then you're weak or failing. In Quixote, "ought" is satirized, "is" is subjective, psychological, true.

While all this is true, it doesn't mean Cervantes was necessarily making a point, it's just a point that can be inferred.
>>
>>7751416
The question is never "is this bait?" it is only ever "should I respond?"
>>
>>7751448
to be fair, aren't the gods still meddling in the affairs of men in homer's works? i could excuse them for objectivity, with what frankly seemed a banality at the time of gods doing shit beyond the ken of man on a daily basis.
>>
>>7751416
No, why would it be?
>>
>>7751490
that's a bit of the point, these people, the masses, were not a sophisticated bunch. Warrior-simpletons. That they also had such geniuses (ones they murdered on occasion) is a bit of a paradox. See: The Cave
>>
>>7751554
it's an accurate representation of now, then? sounds mighty prescient ifn you ask me.
>>
>>7750285
>not the hong translation
>cover looks like prison rape

Surely you jest?
>>
>>7751737
Of now, and presumably the future. The world is mostly in the dark about their motives. Remember what physics was under Aristotle? that's phase one, an embarrassment. Psychology is still in phase one. it needs it's newton and Einstein.
>>
The Crossing by McCarthy
The New Testament, so I can tell people I've read it.
Excerpts of the essays of Emerson

Plan on reading Ratner's Star next.
>>
>>7750165
Works of Love by Kierkegaard
The Divine Comedy. Not the first time I've read it. Reading two cantos a day so I finish the whole thing over Lent.
>>
>>7750165
4chan, obviously
>>
>>
Tehanu - Ursula K. Le Guin
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.