[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help to find childhood books I vaguely remember.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: worry-warts.jpg (95 KB, 647x1000) Image search: [Google]
worry-warts.jpg
95 KB, 647x1000
I couldnt find a request thread, so I guess Ill make this and see if it works.

I used to read up to 10 books a week from the ages of 8-14. and today I have vague memories of some that were really good and I think my daughter may like.

One was Worry warts, it was a really good story, with an amazing theme to it. I just found it/got reminded of it through a thread on here.

But I have some others I just cant remember the names to. I only remember a few "scenes" of them so Ill list them now.

I think it may be a Jennings or Gleitzman title, but it was about a boy whos father owned a fish and chip shop in england (possibly), and next door some people opened up a hamburger shop, the "scene" i remember is where the father goes to the hamburger shop and tries to casually make conversation trying to survey this new competition, the father casually asks if hamburger shop owner dose fish and chips, answer is no, hamburger shop asks if father dose hamburgers, answer is no, tension instantly drops from memory and a friendship ensues.

Another is about a group of kids who live in a town with a vacant lot in it. They decide to build a fort and end up making quite an amazing one from scrap and gathered resources. it has a fire pole too from memory. but then the town wants to build somthing and want to knock it down and the kids stand up and antics ensue with them trying to stop it being demolished.

Another is about 3(?) kids who become lost on a family holiday or are abandoned, they come across a rubbish dump where many other children have come and live there building shantys out of iron, they look for scrap to get money I think and scrape by a living, one "scene" i remember is a child gets injured in an landslide of rubbish when a truck comes and dumps more rubbish. another scene is a bunch of teens/young adults on motorbikes/buggys come along and cause trouble, wrecking the shantys or beating some of them up?

and finally a book about some children whos father goes away to work as a door to door salesman(?), in the basement there are a large amount of pills, vitamins or somthing of the like, the children make a jam (pretty sure its purple) and add the pills to it which have amazing effects on people getting energy and everyone wants more untill one day the pills run out. a particular "scene" is where the grumpy woman next door, who i recall is called Miss Eva, is spotted by the kids soon after eating some jam vigorosly mowing her own lawn. also the boy in the story who dislikes her very much makes up a song "I hate you mis eva, I really dooo"

I may remember the others later, but hopefully someone can help?

Thanks in advance, it is much appreciated.
>>
I have one.

I read this in elementary school. It was about a girl and this old mean man who lived by the river. She always wondered why the old man was so mean, but he let her collect turtles down by the river.

The old man dies, shes sad and learns that he was a really nice person anyhow.

They made a movie about it. It was black and white.
>>
>>7750033
i dont have any leads sorry op, but that one about the fish and chip shop sounds very familiar to me.

if you have any inklings about the decades these came out that would probably help others track them down.
>>
they would be late 80's possibly 90's, but I couldnt be 100%

Its possible that the one about the abandoned kids may be aimed at teens, the other 3 would be childrens books. around the size/length of jennings books in chapters etc.

I hope someone dose know them, I can picture reading the parts so clearly, but the names just arent there...

>>7751223
This possibly rings a bell, did the old man live in an old decrepit house with a very over grown garden, and she explores and finds the back door before she meets the old man?
>>
Another is about a girl who goes away to a boarding school, she makes a friend and they have these tiny dolls that they make a small scale school or something the like in a bottom draw of their dresser and play with it to escape from the schol (i think) it was harsh being there.
>>
File: Throwaways.jpg (1 MB, 1666x2560) Image search: [Google]
Throwaways.jpg
1 MB, 1666x2560
Some results of my own searching

Try this website http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch

I found the abandoned children one

It is Throwaways by Ian Strachan

and the Fish and chip shop one is a Morris Gleitzman one, Misery Guts.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.