[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alexandre Dumas translations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: MTE5NDg0MDU0OTUwODcyNTkx.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NDg0MDU0OTUwODcyNTkx.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>The Count of Monte Cristo
>The Three Musketeers
>Twenty Years After
>The Vicomte de Bragelonne: Ten Years Later

Help me choosing editions /lit/. It can be either English or Spanish.
>>
>>7749616
Bump.
I'm going for the penguin edition for Monte Cristo but no idea about the trilogy.
>>
>>7750000
Anyone now?
>>
>>7749616
Dumas isn't an author where translation matters, his appeal is the stories he tells and the plot crashing together.
>>
>>7750851
>>7750851
this
>>
>>7750851
I thought some editions lack certain sexual parts or something like that.
>>
>>7749616
just get unabridged works and you'll be fine. really good shit.
>>
>>7749616
i can only offer advice on monte cristo

the buss translation from penguin is very good, and the anonymous translation from the 19th century still holds up wonderfully. oxford, everyman's and a bunch of others use this
>>
>translations
>>
>>7751050
Yes. The 19th century translations removed the sexual innuendo in the Musketeers adventures and in the lesbian daughter from Monte Cristo
>>
>>7751282
what are the translations I should stick with then?
>>
>>7751282
>>7751290
that's correct, but many of the updated editions, like oxford, put those parts back in. they are complete
>>
File: kk.png (240 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
kk.png
240 KB, 500x333
>>7751310
I'm going with Oxford for d'Artagnan Romances then.

Anyone knows if Penguin Clothbound Classics are worth the price? Never bought one. Pic related.
>>
Does anyone know who translated the Barnes and Noble leatherbound version?
>>
>>7752287
Don't buy that.
>>
>>7752287
jesus. just buy the fucking unabridged and read them. ffs.
>>
>>7753308
Too late anon, I already have, over a month ago, but I've only read the first chapter.

>>7753331
What?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.