[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dante > Shakespeare
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Dante.jpg (54 KB, 360x550) Image search: [Google]
Dante.jpg
54 KB, 360x550
Dante > Shakespeare
>>
Interesting proposition. Care to explain?
>>
Me > Op
>>
>>7749459
Dante isn't boring like Shakespeare.
>>
>>7749468
nice b8 m8 butt not OP
>>
>>7749453
There are people who think otherwise?
>>
>>7749453
> Anglo plebs haven't read the Commedia in the original
> DUDE, SHAKESPEARE FTW LMAO
>>
>non-English """"""""""""""""""literature""""""""""""""""""
>non-English """"""""""""""""""poetry""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>7749666

So we shouldn't actually start with the greeks is what you're saying?
>>
>>7749453
Agreed, OP. Though I find Shakespeare more entertaining when spoken aloud than I do Dante.

Of course, Dante is the better read.
>>
giacomo leopardi > dante alighieri.
>>
>>7749839
Hipster
>>
>>7749877
nigger
>>
Pietro Aretino > Dante

Morì a Venezia il 21 ottobre 1556 presumibilmente a causa di un colpo apoplettico. Secondo alcune fonti, egli perì a causa del troppo ridere: durante una festa, pare che l'Aretino vide una scimmia che si era infilata i suoi stivali e camminava goffamente incespicando, schiamazzando e cadendo in continuazione; tale spettacolo lo fece sbellicare dalle risate fino a quando gli si strappò una vena nel petto, provocando un'inarrestabile emorragia interna
>>
Shakespeare arguably either saved or destroyed all her work with 'the tempest'. One thing's for sure <snores>
>>
File: image.jpg (587 KB, 1881x1424) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
587 KB, 1881x1424
Dante's quite nuanced, but he's full of pathos and he wears his politics on his sleeve.

Shakespeare can at least submerge his politics in mythological speech without refraining from speaking his mind.

https://youtu.be/2CF8XbAThBA
>>
Milton > Dante
>>
Inferno > Purgatory >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Paradise.
>>
>>7752234

>desperately wants to let /lit/ know that he is this pleb

yikes
>>
>>7749626
Yeah so you read it in the original Toscana dialect?
>>
>>7752264
>muh symbolism and theological ramblings
>>
File: image.jpg (734 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
734 KB, 2592x1936
>>7749453
Dante managed to probe farther into the depths of the individual human psyche than Shakespeare, while Bill explored a far wider expanse, sharing with us a Baskin-Robinsesque panoramic of human interactions.
>>
>>7752196
That just makes Shakespeare a subtler bitch. Should we consider a warrior less capable killer than an assassin, just because the assassin is better suited to kill someone in their sleep? Or denigrate the assassin for lacking direct confrontation? They both achieve different things.
>>
Why do we always have to compare authors to others?
>>
>>7749453
Its really hard to compare them. I mean dante has one well known epic, and shakspeare has many well know shorter plays. pluse:

>shakspere is in english
>dante is in italian

>shakspear is a performance medium (that can be read)
>dante is a printed medium
>>
>>7752315
Was Dante on the right side of the Guelphs and Ghibellines? I've never really sorted all of that out... I find sympathy and laugh at some of Shakespeare's subtle gibes against Elizabeth's court, like in Love's Labours Lost where he brings up Dictynna (Virgo Dulcis) and mentions her as being worshipped by people who hate God.

>>7752295
This looks saucy, let's have the whole thing.
>>
>>7752196

All I read is that Dante was manlier.
>>
>>7752271
a zi va che la commedia è scritta in volgare
>>
>>7750253
Risi
>>
>>7752519
>Doesn't know about the letture pubbliche della commedia

Capcha:limerick
>>
>>7752738
Dante was a guelfo bianco: after the victory of the guelfi in Florence this faction scissed in two different groups the guelfi neri and the guelfi bianchi.
The white ones wanted less interference of the pope in the city while the blacks didn't oppese it.
Dante occupied the position of priore for the guelfi bianchi and when the other faction came in power he had to flee from the city
>>
So what's the best translation?
>>
File: taxi_driver_1.jpg (42 KB, 620x300) Image search: [Google]
taxi_driver_1.jpg
42 KB, 620x300
>>7753845
nessuna
>>
>>7749626
>people who I haven't met, but I assume they exist because DUDE PEOPLE R DUMB LMAO
>>
>>7749453
Swine.

Boccaccio>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dante
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 745x944) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 745x944
>>7753517
There's some contention that either Dante helped write Le Roman De La Rose, or... He may have borrowed from it to write his Comedia...

Either way, he's an excellent stylist, but he's kind of like the car crash montage video of the medieval world. CHECK OUT WHAT HAPPENED TA THIS GUY!!!
>>
Cambridge University thinks Dante is either a chucklehead or Guillame de Lorris.

What do YOU think?

https://youtu.be/9dPI1hW7mrM
>>
File: nml_warg_wag_3125_large.jpg (171 KB, 944x678) Image search: [Google]
nml_warg_wag_3125_large.jpg
171 KB, 944x678
Ugh, what a creep.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.