[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So the message here is "you're not wrong Holden, you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: holden-caulfield[1].png (59 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
holden-caulfield[1].png
59 KB, 300x250
So the message here is "you're not wrong Holden, you're just a little asshole" or did I miss something?
>>
"Grow up and stop running away, you little shit."
>>
If you did not identify with Holden Caulfield when you read this book (and who are we kidding, you're in high school), then you are more Holden than you think.
>>
>>7748696
...raped his sister phoebe
>>
>>7748711
interesting post. never thought of it that way.

>>7748715
fuck off
>>
File: 54.gif (769 KB, 1130x665) Image search: [Google]
54.gif
769 KB, 1130x665
>>7748711

Not saying I didn't identify with poor Holden (when I was in high school) but that's not what irks me. I get he's supposed to be a brat who can't cut it but there's no alternatives and no resolution.
>>
File: 1444815230223.jpg (279 KB, 678x625) Image search: [Google]
1444815230223.jpg
279 KB, 678x625
There's nothing to miss unless you try. People miss when they read it "deeply."

The message is simply that the world betrays children (humans), there's nothing "out there," there is no choice but between solitude and vulgarity, and that innocence is bliss.

Source: J.D. Salinger told everyone to fuck off, became a recluse, and said "read the book" when asked why.
>>
File: 52.gif (327 KB, 484x352) Image search: [Google]
52.gif
327 KB, 484x352
>>7748763

This is closest to what I walked away from the book with. Based on what I knew going in, I was expecting lots of teenage angst and how kids and Holden is a stupid little shit who just doesn't know any better.
>>
>>7748763
you just don't get it.
>>
>>7748763

holden just needs to b himself tho :)
>>
>>7748696
>I hate ... girls.
No.
>>
>>7748711
I despised this book in high school, then a year ago my now ex told me I reminded her of Holden.
I don't remember much of the book so I have no idea how accurate that is.
>>
People who think disagreeing with Holden or seeing through his bullshit makes them more grownup is always good for a laugh.
>>
>>7748715
interesting post. never thought of it that way.

>>7748711
fuck off
>>
Does anyone actually 'get' this book?
>>
>>7748922
http://postflaviana.org/freemason-rye/
>>
File: catcher explained.png (242 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
catcher explained.png
242 KB, 600x500
>>7748922
Get ready for the red pill... but be warned, there's no going back.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.