[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favorite Short Stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: In Mother Russia Land Need You.png (78 KB, 242x242) Image search: [Google]
In Mother Russia Land Need You.png
78 KB, 242x242
ITT we post our favorite short stories.
>>
>>7748424
Dream of a Ridiculous Man
>>
>>7748424
El sur, Borges
>>
Chronicle of a Death Foretold
>>
No Place for You, My Love
>>
>>7748446
The description of this honestly made me think of /b/
>>
>>7748489
not a short story, and it's also garbage. worst of the big three garcia marquez for sure.
>>
>>7748424
Haven't read it but is it 6x6x3 feet?
>>
>>7749063
>6x6x3 feet
Not even close (remember, this is Russia)
>>
We Are Norsemen
>>
I was trying to describe you to someone a few days ago. You don’t look like any girl I’ve ever seen before.

I couldn’t say “Well she looks just like Jane Fonda, except that she’s got red hair, and her mouth is different and of course, she’s not a movie star…”

I couldn’t say that because you don’t look like Jane Fonda at all.

I finally ended up describing you as a movie I saw when I was a child in Tacoma Washington. I guess I saw it in 1941 or 42, somewhere in there. I think I was seven, or eight, or six.

It was a movie about rural electrification, a perfect 1930’s New Deal morality kind of movie to show kids. The movie was about farmers living in the country without electricity. They had to use lanterns to see by at night, for sewing and reading, and they didn’t have any appliances like toasters or washing machines, and they couldn’t listen to the radio. They built a dam with big electric generators and they put poles across the countryside and strung wire over fields and pastures.

There was an incredible heroic dimension that came from the simple putting up of poles for the wires to travel along. They looked ancient and modern at the same time.

Then the movie showed electricity like a young Greek god, coming to the farmer to take away forever the dark ways of his life. Suddenly, religiously, with the throwing of a switch, the farmer had electric lights to see by when he milked his cows in the early black winter mornings. The farmer’s family got to listen to the radio and have a toaster and lots of bright lights to sew dresses and read the newspaper by.

It was really a fantastic movie and excited me like listening to the Star Spangled Banner, or seeing photographs of President Roosevelt, or hearing him on the radio “… the President of the United States… “

I wanted electricity to go everywhere in the world. I wanted all the farmers in the world to be able to listen to President Roosevelt on the radio….

And that’s how you look to me.
>>
Bartleby.
>>
>>7750015
This
>>
>>7748446
I began to read this and it is very nice, are the rest of Dostoevsky's works simlar?
>>
Good Old Neon
>>
>>7748424
Gogol's The overcoat is the best one I've read so far.
>>
Chekov's stuff is pretty good.
I particularly like The Lottery Ticket and The Lady With The Dog.
>>
>>7748424
"I'll say Jimmy Joyce's favorite and sound real 'fisticated, like."

Fuck off.
>>
>>7748424

pair of baby shoes for sale, Israel did 9/11
>>
>>7751366
try his The Portrait.
>>
>>7748424
Love that one, I read it while tripping on shrooms, highly recommended
>>
>>7752740
how were u able to read on shrooms

did u take an extremely small dosage
>>
>>7752740
dude drugs lmao
>>
>>7752834
>can't concentrate on hallucinogens
pleb.
>>
The southern thruway
The island at noon
>>
diary from the sewers
>>
>>7752857
lmao u eatin portabellas or something

must have weak shit
>>
letter from an unknown woman - zweig
>>
Thomas F by Kjell Askildsen
>>
>>7752056
Ive read most of his work. Portrait was pretty good but not his best.
>>
>>7751366
came to say this

Also Hemingway has some good ones. Snows of Kilimanjaro is good.
>>
>>7751366
this
>>
The fisherman and his soul
>>
In Search of Lost Time by Proust
>>
>>7748424
"The Outcasts of Poker Flat"
http://www.bartleby.com/310/4/2.html

>But it revealed drift on drift of snow piled high around the hut,—a hopeless, uncharted, trackless sea of white lying below the rocky shores to which the castaways still clung.
Beautiful.
>>
I have no mouth and I must scream
>>
>>7748424
The School by Donald Barthelme
>>
The Library of Babel
The Suicide Club, part 1
Old Man at the Bridge
>>
This guy is criminally underrated on /lit/. WHY?
>>
A Good Man is Hard to Find, Flannery O'connor. had a lot of good short stories. Burroughs is pretty good as well.
>>
A Good Man is Hard to Find, actually pretty much anything by Flannery O'connor.
Burroughs and Kerouac also did some good work.
>>
>>7748424

The Secret Miracle, by Borges.
>>
>>7755231
white trash shit
>>
I remember To Build A Fire blew my mind when I first read it

I was just a kid then, but maybe I ought to go back and read it
>>
To toss another Borges onto the fire, Garden of Forking Paths.
>>
Tereseta-que-baixava-les-escales, Espriu
South Highway, Cortázar
Araby, Joyce
>>
>>7750043
2nded. "The Soul is not a Smithy" is the next step.
>>
File: 1453189004428.gif (2 MB, 300x249) Image search: [Google]
1453189004428.gif
2 MB, 300x249
>>7748424
I'm already a fan of a lot of what's been posted, but I'll add one that's lesser known. "1/3, 1/3, 1/3"
by Richard Brautigan
>>
>>7751366
>Gogol
best translation?
>>
>>7748640
>it's also garbage
why
>>
Tonio Kroger (Mann)
Death in Venice (Mann)
The Dead (Joyce)

I like Mann
>>
File: 1456688917489.jpg (193 KB, 680x881) Image search: [Google]
1456688917489.jpg
193 KB, 680x881
>>7748640
The big three of Garcia Marquez are:
100 years
Love in the time of cholera
And either el otoño del patriarca or mama grande
>>
>>7755280
>>7755282
Throwing in for Flannery O'Connor as well. Everything That Rises Must Converge is GOAT. I remember reading that for the first time when I was a teenager because Jacob reads it in an episode of Lost.
>>
>>7755231
His name is DJ Pancake...

Also
>Johnny Bear
>Sahib's War
>The Dead
>The Nose
>>
the dead, human moments in world war 3, good old neon, another pioneer, sea oak, escape from spiderhead, the metamorphosis, the hunger artist, cathedral, the pederson kid, a clean well lighted place, the aleph, the book of sand, araby, a little cloud,
>>
So Much Water So Close To Home
>>
>>7755624
Also gonna throw in Kipling's "They". Top tier.
>>
>>7754385
>short
>>
>>7748467
>El sur, Borges
Fucking great short story.
>>
>>7748424
Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius - Borges
>>
>>7748424
The Theologians - Borges
>>
Guts
>>
The silence of the sirens - Kafka
Letter to a young lady in Paris - Cortázar
>>
>>7748424
Hashire, Melos
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.