[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a 19 year old who just read a full book for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: book_PNG2115.png (2 MB, 2186x1031) Image search: [Google]
book_PNG2115.png
2 MB, 2186x1031
Ask a 19 year old who just read a full book for the first time not including school anything.
>>
Good for you.
Now read some more young boy.

(what book though)
>>
>>7746669
Why wasn't it The Tunnel?
>>
>>7746685
gass plz go
>>
>>7746685
I bet I would get that joke if I'd ever read more than one book.
>>
>>7746669
How do you view people who read a lot?
Has it changed since you read your first book?

>tfw today some guy I know who is a gamer told me reading anything other than self-help or text books was a complete waste of time
>tfw most people won't believe this really happened because of how stupid it sounds
>>
>>7746691
Don't pretend you don't like it.
>>
>>7746669
Why did you read the book when you could have just watched the movie version?

inb4 there wasn't a film version made, everything worthwhile has been made into a movie already
>>
>>7746783
It just never really appealed to me. I never understood why people could find fullfillment in looking at words all day. Now I see it a bit differently. I'm realizing that I like stories and characters and that books can be a lot more involving than movies or games. I can hear their thoughts and read their motivations and with some of the good characters still have no idea what they'll do next and thats an addicting feeling to me.
>>
>>7746679
A Game Of Thrones
>>
>>7746827
It's a nice pick, but move away from the reddit books before it grows on you. Maybe test Wheel of Time if you are into fantasy? Dune if scifi. Possibilities are endless. Welcome to literature.
>>
>>7746827
Opinions discarded
>>
>>7746965
I'm so sorry it wasn't Infinite Jest but I imagine that would have been the worst book I ever read.
>>
>>7747034
not that other guy but thrones is a horrible place to start for reading since it might as well be the same as watching television. now if you had said something like >>7746910's Dune or catcher in the rye or the count of monte cristo, then you'd be in a different boat. those novels are good as an introduction to literature without being seen as difficult, like gravity's rainbow, or off putting by a "nothing happens" story like anna karenina. Now that's not to say literally nothing happens in karenina, but the beginning being man cheats on wife and his friend comes in to marry a woman he's loved for a long time isn't much compared to "shit happened 10 years ago. there's shit happening up north. there's also shit happening down south with some spooky shit. a shit storm's comin" from thrones.
>>
>>7746679
I think it is best to not get bodged down and intimidated by massive books.

They are some incredible short books that can still be thought provoking without taking a few months to get through.

To the OP:
I recommend the The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka and Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
>>
>>7747099
I've read Monte Cristo in school and never really got much out of it although that was a while ago. Why don't you recommend me something more recent along your lines that doesn't have too much of a language barrier and isn't at too high of a reading level. I'm not a fan of trying to decipher Shakespeare for fun.
>>
>>7747121
The closest thing i have to contemporary lit is Requiem for a Dream. written in 1978 and deals with drug addiction. no old timey language and will keep you hooked. Don't be afraid to try reading something written 100 years before you were born. you can only get better at a thing you aren't good at. hell, everyone was where you were--more or less anyway. you just have to give it a shot.
>>
>>7746685
<3 Gassposting
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.