[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Pynchon errs on the side of farcical melodrama again
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: PYNCHONE.jpg (7 KB, 308x163) Image search: [Google]
PYNCHONE.jpg
7 KB, 308x163
>"Pynchon errs on the side of farcical melodrama again and again (and again), and [...] a thirty-year writing career hasn’t produced a single memorable or even recognisably human character.

B R U T A L
R
U
T
A
L

How can Pinecucks recover from this?
>>
>brit
I think he'll he ok.
>>
Oedipa
>>
>>7745752
>hasn’t produced a single memorable
Opinion given the lowercase d
>>
File: 2016-02-26_12.27.23.jpg (1 MB, 1479x1898) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-26_12.27.23.jpg
1 MB, 1479x1898
>>7745752
We're ok.
>>
>>7745752
The fuck you want from him?
>>
>>7745752
>muh characters
Pig Bodine, Byron the Bulb, Slothrop, Tchitcherine, Blicero, Mason, Dixon, The Mechanical Duck, Ben Franklin, Doc Sportello,
>>
>>7745752
Mason & Dixon has them but I agree that most of his characters are cartoons and he's more about ideas.

If you want Pynchon + characters, read Delillo.
>>
>>7745752
That review was written a year before Mason and Dixon came out. Also the reviewer is a huge pleb who doesn't like Gravitys rainbow.
>>
>>7745752
That reviewer is a histrionic drama queen hack whose entire career was built around writing negative reviews. I don't know why anyone would take him seriously.
>>
File: Katje dubs.jpg (604 KB, 2399x1424) Image search: [Google]
Katje dubs.jpg
604 KB, 2399x1424
Check em
>>
>>7745752
>>7745788
Dunno. But I´m finally reading Crying of lot 49 and its kind of not what I expected. I mean the electricity goes out when the female protagonist is having orgasm? That´s ridiculous. Have I fallen for the meme? Or do I have to be American to like it?
>>
>>7747197
It's supposed to be ridiculous. If you don't like wacky things happening in your books Pinecone isn't for you.
>>
>>7746077
DUDE
>>
>>7746077
is that the famous autumnal bong?
>>
>>7747242
WEED LMAO
>>
>>7747197
>not American
>current year
>>
>>7747299
lol
>>
>>7745752
By not paying attention to insignificant critics
>>
>>7745752
lol FINALLY someone said it.
I honestly felt insulted when I started reading GR.
Even so he has a lot to say and if you're not getting any sensation out of this book then you are either illiterate or too snobby to try and understand.
>>
Incredible, a writer who doesn't like what Pynchon is doing doesn't like Pynchon.

What the fuck is the point of a review like this? It's like sending a guy who thinks all rivers are shit to review the Nile, of course he's not gonna like it.
>>
>>7747481
pretty convenient way for an author to avoid any kind of criticism by saying he started some pet movement that is bad on purpose. pynchon himself criticized his own writing in a similar vein in letters he wrote to his editor.
>>
>>7745752
>brutal
It's literally a 'his work doesn't tick off my arbitrary criteria' argument.
>>
>>7746100
White Noise has absolutely shit tier characters, as far as they go it's the worst novel I have in recent memory.
>>
>>7747512
how did you get that from what I wrote? Pynchon is doing something specific, maximalist, and firmly non-realist in his writing, one that James Wood, for all I disagree with him, pinpointed pretty well as "hysterical realism."

it's not "intentionally bad." but he did basically invent a genre of writing, and it's pretty pointless to put a reviewer that hates that genre up against him. might as well hire Wood to write his opinions on George RR Martin or whatever, it will be similarly unenlightening.

which, before you horribly misunderstand me again, is not drawing an equivalence between Pynchon and Martin. I like Pynchon and dislike Martin. but if a reviewer doesn't even want to engage with the literary mode the author is working in, what's the point?
>>
>>7746077
last night I dreamt I was plugged right in to a bubbling hookah so high...
>>
>>7747676
> live in shit-tier society
> A BLOO BLOO WHY AREN'T THESE CHARACTERS DOPE LIKE THE GREEKS WERE? HMM??

do you hate flaubert as well?
>>
File: 1454607057430.png (189 KB, 325x376) Image search: [Google]
1454607057430.png
189 KB, 325x376
>Dale Peckerlicker (born 1967) is an American novelist, critic, and columnist. His 2009 novel, Sprout, won the Lambda Literary Award for LGBT Children's/Young Adult literature
>>
>>7747697
Of course we can take this to an absurd level, if I set out to write the shittiest book I can, and critics refuse to engage with its deliberate offal, and dont acknowledge it is indeed a masterpiece of scat, that doesnt change its excremental nature, intentional or not. There are valid complaints to be made about the corny broadway musical nature and loose, random synthesis in Pynchon. It doesn't take a genius to create a meaningless mess and project the metaphor that modern life and war, too, are chaotic, meaningless, and beyond understanding. Pynchon has weaknesses as a writer that even a classical figure generally held in low aesthetic repute, like Dickens, depending on the trend and the academy, does not. I like Pynchon but find him a bit over-rated in colleges and journals, when more narratively sure-footed writers or equally creative are considered obscure or limited. (lafferty, avram davidson, hell even sturgeon). To tell the truth I found Don D's Underworld to be nothing but an ordinary long novel, and not unusual or experimental in the way Pynchon, McElroy, and Gass are - he doesnt belong with that group and seems a holdover from old boring Naturalistic fiction in america, the literature of social darwinism and exhausted opportunities. At least Pynchon has a unique and definitely nontraditional approach. Having said that, next to banal morons like Franzen Pynchon is indeed like a god.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.