[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best translation of The Master and Margarita? I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: pevear2006.jpg (109 KB, 493x802) Image search: [Google]
pevear2006.jpg
109 KB, 493x802
What is the best translation of The Master and Margarita? I want to read it in the most accurate way available.
>>
stop reading russian books in english you idiot
>>
The Garnett version.

Wait. What thread am I in again?
>>
>>7744852
>the most accurate way available.

russian
>>
>>7744852
i'd go with Burgin-O'Connor.
prepare to be disappointed desu.
>>
>>7744865
>>7744872
G-good one lads

>>7744875
I've heard that the Burgin-O'Connor version is a translation of the censored version of the book. Is that true? I'm not sure I want to read that.
>>
>>7744881
nah, that's the mirra ginsburg, (which is still pretty good)
>>
>>7744891
Ah, okay. Yeah, I've read that the Pevear version is the most accurate, but in the process it loses a lot of the comedy/heart of the original book. I'll probably go with the Burgin-O'Connor version. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it
>>
>>7744907
hey, no problem. I love me some russians. Honestly, I could never getting around to finishing M&M. it was good, probably just me. Hope you like it. I really liked the Jesus conversation. It reminded me of the grand inquisitor by dostoevsky.
>>
>>7744914
Yeah, I've just heard so much good about it, thought I'd give it a try, even if I end up not caring for it. Thanks again.
>>
>>7744907
I'd go with Peaver because the wife is an Orthodox Christian and really understands the work better. A lot people get the impression the work is critical of Christianity, when in fact it's a response to the USSR retconning Christ's life and trying to proliferate new versions of it to degrade him and counter Christianity. Satan is a very convincing and proliferate liar, the very "father of all lies", and he is being identified with the Bolsheviks here.
>>
>>7744953
Not only is she an Orthodox Christian by the way, she's a professional translator of theological works for the Russian Orthodox Church
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.