[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Frege or Russell, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Frege-e-Russell.jpg (93 KB, 440x297) Image search: [Google]
Frege-e-Russell.jpg
93 KB, 440x297
Frege or Russell, /lit/?
>>
Both faggots. Have to go with Russel.
>>
late wittgenstein

/thread
>>
Frege. He may have been a massive racist but at least he wasn't intellectually dishonest, affecting the course of western philosophy up to the present day.

Also, Frege actually revolutionised logic. The Principia was an unfortunate failure.
>>
File: >2014.jpg (277 KB, 714x644) Image search: [Google]
>2014.jpg
277 KB, 714x644
>>7742035
>implying that analytical philosophy won't die out as continental philosophy gains more popularity, respectability, and thus more funds backing them in universities
>implying that Universities will not just pour money into things that will get published more, regardless of whether or not they are logically sound.
>tfw continental philosophy will grow in power off of exploiting the very capitalist system it so despises.
>>
>>7742075
What did frege do for logic? I'm not asking sarcastically, I don't actually know what he did, I thought Boole was the main revolutioniser
>>
aristotle

the rest is idle chatter
>>
>>7742196
Boole had gathered all the work done by Aristotle, the Stoics, and the Medievals, messed with it for a while and gave it a more mathematical flavour. Frege, on the other hand, extended Boole's system by inventing quantifiers which have become to permeate all modern and contemporary mathematics.
>>
>>7742445
>by inventing quantifiers
this is aristotle, no ?
>>
>>7743987
Aristotle didn't have quantifiers, only the central basics of T or F propositions. IIRC. Frege was the first one to bring it to a truly mathematical level.
>>
As if I wouldn't just partake in both of them for the sheer pleasure of the matter?
Top kek m80
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.