[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All verse that is English and sustained--that is to say longer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 09.gif (432 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
09.gif
432 KB, 320x240
All verse that is English and sustained--that is to say longer than a few flourishes--and rhyming past Middle English (which rhymes much more organically and doesn't sound like limericks), is awful, just awful. If you prefer translations of the Iliad like Pope over someone like Rodney Merrill or Lattimore, it's because you have a short attention span and need rhymes to continually amuse you.

And yes, they're all shit compared to the original Greek. But Pope is shit compared to the other two.
>>
I didn't read your post because you sound like a faggot wannabe poet.

I think you're trying too hard.
>>
>>7739740
I'm not a poet neither have I ever written poetry
>>
>>7739790
But you're a tripfaggot
>>
>>7739740

>you sound like a

OP is an older poster on this board. With a pretty quality posting history from memory. It was a couple who shared that posting name, wasn't it?
>>
File: youropiniondude.jpg (76 KB, 625x352) Image search: [Google]
youropiniondude.jpg
76 KB, 625x352
>>7739717
And we should care about what you say for what reason exactly?
>>
>>7740017
Yeah, and you're anonymous. So what? I bet you've never even heard of Homer or Hesoid.
>>
>>7740017
1. ΟΥΤΙΣ is Greek for "nobody," almost equivalent to 'anonymous' in that it was used as a psuedonym.
2. There is no tripcode. A name, sure, but that's so arbitrary.

Anyhow, if you're so adamant about it, get a plugin to anonymize every post.
>>
>>7740027
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7740027
No one is compelling you to, I am merely assenting with Milton

>The Measure is English Heroic Verse without Rime, as that of Homer in Greek, and Virgil in Latin; Rhime being no necessary Adjunct or true Ornament of Poem or good Verse, in longer Works especially, but the Invention of a barbarous Age, to set off wretched matter and lame Meeter; grac't indeed since by the use of some famous modern Poets, carried away by Custom, but much to thir own vexation, hindrance, and constraint to express many things otherwise, and for the most part worse then else they would have exprest them. Not without cause therefore some both Italian, and Spanish Poets of prime note have rejected Rhime both in longer and shorter Works, as have also long since our best English Tragedies, as a thing of itself, to all judicious ears, triveal, and of no true musical delight; which consists onely in apt Numbers, fit quantity of Syllables, and the sense variously drawn out from one Verse into another, not in the jingling sound of like endings, a fault avoyded by the learned Ancients both in Poetry and all good Oratory. This neglect then of Rhime so little is to be taken for a defect, though it may seem so perhaps to vulgar Readers, that it rather is to be esteem'd an example set, the first in English, of ancient liberty recover'd to heroic Poem from the troublesom and modern bondage of Rimeing.
>>
>>7740215
I do not, however, agree with his crack about Spanish and Italian, which are much more suited to rhyme. English, including Early Modern English, is a terrible language for sustained rhyme because words don't rhyme nearly as copiously as they do in Middle English or Italian. And so if you set out to do a sustained work in rhyme, it becomes a constraint, and it becomes impossible to convey gravity after a while, and all solemnity is marred by the whimsical nature of sustained rhyme in English--sustained, it is best suited for works such The Rape of the Locke, which parody gravity. If Tristram Shandy were an epic poem, it would relentlessly rhyme.
>>
>>7739717
That verse-to-verse translation apt as lyric sustained at epic length, is impossible under most conditions, even when genius is one of the ingredients, doesn't support your assertion about original English verse. The problem is that there is way too much English verse, with the inevitable result that immense quantities of bad English verse exist, along with the good. Pope's Homer is bad, but his own seldom is.
>>
>>7739717
what do you think of prose translations?
>>
>>7740028
I've watche The Simpsons when it was good, you underage faggot.
>>
>>7740028
If you don't read Greek, the only reason for not skipping Hesiod is his brevity. There are no decent English translations of Hesiod, sadly. Also the Homeric Hymns, which actually have some nice translations, are criminally underread.

>>7740793
I don't think there is any point in reading them, you might as well just read the Wiki synopsis. If a translator of a work of poetry can't be arsed to incorporate at least some sort of structured rhythm into his translation because it's too hard, he's a lazy translator who takes no joy in his work and doesn't care about the soul of the original.

I do think not translating sustained rhyme is a good thing though. Longfellow's translation of Dante, often hated because it's old and public domain, is actually refreshing and does well to eschew translating Dante's natural rhyme into stilted English rhyme, and instead focuses on a steady rhythm--not Dante's rhythm of course, rather a steady steam of iambs, but it's well done despite the unorthodox syntax. Musa made an effort in the same regard, but it is awful--not because Musa is liberal in his translation, which is sometimes required for poetry, but because he is NEEDLESSLY liberal. Most other mainstream translations of Dante are all terrible for trying to squeeze in rhyme, which simply cannot convey the feeling Dante wants to convey, when done in English.
>>
>>7740851
so, essentially, Prose is not good, unless in circumstances where it is good?
>>
File: highschoolgirlfriend.jpg (2 MB, 2096x3000) Image search: [Google]
highschoolgirlfriend.jpg
2 MB, 2096x3000
>>7739717
Cool memes, OP.
>>
>>7740858
You seem to have conflated "verse" and "rhyme" in my statement, as what you derived from it cannot possible be derived from it otherwise.
>>
Same
>>
>>7740875
Can I get the tomboy to cosplay as my ds trapfu?
>>
are you the jail guy
>>
>>7741562
jail guy?
>>
What about adhalhendings?
>>
>>7740024
OP samefag detected

>>7740215
>implying Milton meant that as a general principle, and not for very specific cases

>>7740851
>pretends to know about dante translations
>knows nothing about dante translations
>>
>>7740875
rolling
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.