[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was talking to the guy who was my English teacher when I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: 800px-TDTP08[1].jpg (147 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
800px-TDTP08[1].jpg
147 KB, 800x600
So I was talking to the guy who was my English teacher when I was in high school and he said he loves Ayn Rand's books. How does this make you feel?

To be fair he also said she wasn't very good at writing a narrative, but that if you want a good story you can just read something on the NY times best sellers list.
>>
Sounds like an idiot. And then there's you.
>>
>>7739580
>gov get out reeee ):<
>>
>if you want a good story you can just read something on the NY times best sellers list
>>
>>7739594
My high school specifically makes kids read 1984 and Brave New World. Also he makes all the dumb kids read The Fault in Our Stars which he says is shit.
>>
>How does this make you feel?

Lukewarm. I accept the world as the fucked up place it is.
>>
File: 1441298826905.png (55 KB, 681x407) Image search: [Google]
1441298826905.png
55 KB, 681x407
>>7739580
>>
>>7739600
That's right.

Only pleb garbage is specifically focused on people who read for the plot.
>>
Yeah I like her to. She's interesting if you are into reading over-orthodox thinkers.
Also it's all a bit of a goof with some existential strength thrown in.

It's just a meme to hate her here because of how bad Rand posting was. But I don't think we have anyone left from that time, it's a monkey-ladder situation.
>>
File: 1451196273594.gif (2 MB, 297x391) Image search: [Google]
1451196273594.gif
2 MB, 297x391
I only like Ayn Rand because she has a cool name, she is female, and she is a meme.
>>
File: 1451293813432.jpg (11 KB, 298x292) Image search: [Google]
1451293813432.jpg
11 KB, 298x292
In an interview from 1959. I agree with Ayn rand's view on relationships and Who and when a person is worthy of respect and love. Her political views dosent interest me.
Politics in general.
>>
>>7739659

So you consider her actual prose good?

I mean, to me it just seems like the most two-tone propagandist garbage ever with hints of autism, but I haven't finished Atlas Shrugged yet.
>>
She's a good descriptive writer. I loved her ability to describe the intricacies of the railroad in Atlas and of architecture in Fountainhead.

The characters are kind of meh, and this is usually a non qualifier for me; but in Rand's case, she somehow manages to override the characters in her description of the plot and setting.

Anyone who says Rand can't write is full of shit. She may not be able to write believable characters, and I'll agree with them on that point, but she is one of the best description authors I've ever read.
>>
>telling /lit/ your english teacher has bad taste

look i know we all dont have much to post here aside from dfw memes, but if youre going to write blogposts, at least make them interesting.

fuck.
>>
>>7739770

Good descriptions of trains is probably not what u want when looking for nuanced moral phillosophy, tho

Because Rand literally throat-fucks you with her black and white bullshit.
>>
>>7739770

Dag mighty hunter. Dag face very strong, sharp. When young Dag carry spear for his father to hunt. After, Dag know Dag wanted to hunt mammoth like his father. Dag like the rush of running to kill mammoth. He feel strong. He feel victory. He kill many mammoth and bring a lot meat. The tribe not like him though, because Dag just too good hunter and not give meat to other, only cooperate with other to kill mammoth.

Tag was Dags brother. Tag not strong. Tag go study with shaman when young. Tag go to hunt and lead party because older son of father, but Tag not good hunter like Dag. Many mammoth run away because of Tag. Tag take meat and give to his friend who no good at hunt. Tag saying we should not hunt mamoth so other tribe can have too. Tag a filthy commie.
>>
>>7739804

I didn't' go into any of her stories seeking moral justification or an affirmation of philosophy, whether it be Atlas,Fountaihead, or Antehm.

Simply put, I thought her characters were cheesy; to the extent I was verbally saying "yeah right" to my self during the first two hundred pages of her stories.

"Good descriptions of trains" isn't what I had expected upon reading Atlas -- wasn't what I expected upon reading Fountain in regards to architecture. But at the end of both books -- Fountainhead in particular, I felt has fulfilled reading them as I would a book driven entirely by characters such as David Copperfield or Bleak House.

"Good descriptions of trains" is downplaying Rand's description abilities and then some; she didn't give you a good description of a train, she gave you a good description of an engineer on a train or an architecture designing a future building. Both of which encompassed the great body of both Atlas and Fountainhead.
>>
>>7739580
Better than mine. My AP English teacher openly said that Harry Potter is her favorite book, and, upon noticing that I was reading Ulysses, announced that she hated Joyce.
>>
>>7739916
Mine said he has yet to read Joyce, but was reading someone of a similar style but said it would be like comparing a book written for kindergartners to Joyce
>>
>>7739671
i wish i was physically attractive
>>
>>7739713
But that's a political view in itself.
>>
>>7739612
>BNW
Never read it but I heard it was, um, naughty? Why share that in school?
>>
>>7739916
Holy shit that's awful.

Though not surprising. Went through a class or two saturated with English Education majors. The kind of people who want to teach high school kids are usually not very interested in more than surface analysis.
>>
>>7739721
Her prose is uncompromising. That's what it needs to be in her world.
I wouldn't call her work propaganda because it had an entire philosophy behind it. You could say it's a sell, and that would be true. But it's not propaganda just because her heroes are tall.
>>
She is like Aristotle on steroids, with some autismo sprinkled on top for good measure.

Go figure that Atlas Shrugged is the most influential book in America after the Bible. Most people like AS because it preaches "liberation", when quite the reverse is true..

She was very fascistic. Her works feature strong aryan men, in fact this is often nauseating to your average buzzfeed intern "writer". These men rise up above the masses and there is often a fine line between anarchy and fascism, anarchists being fascists of a nation with a population of 1.

The funny thing is that if people read her as a closet-fascist her works make much more sense. She was often in denial and lashed out at collectivism because of her Jewish roots.

your typical "le freeedum snek" will not begin to understand her work.

I feel lightly amused.
>>
>>7739916
>I like Harry Potter
>everyone I know likes it
>"Taking arms against Harry Potter, at this moment, is to emulate Hamlet taking arms against a sea of troubles..."
>everyone I know hates it
>I like Harry Potter

It's like how people began to like the Star Wars prequels because they are so contrarian they will double back on themselves.
>>
>>7739659

wait rand used to be big on here

the only thing worse than rabid rand hate is imagining 4chan culture combined with liking her
>>
>>7742541
you mean /pol/?

Talked to a different English teacher at my old high school today. He fucking hates Rand and thinks she is full of shit. We also had an argument where I explained to him he didn't understand science and GMOs are bad, he is just a retard.

So take that as you will
>>
File: Stephen-King-laughing.jpg (38 KB, 456x290) Image search: [Google]
Stephen-King-laughing.jpg
38 KB, 456x290
>>7739646
>He fell for the "reading books you aren't interested in for prose" meme!
>>
File: albert_speer.jpg (29 KB, 300x477) Image search: [Google]
albert_speer.jpg
29 KB, 300x477
>>7739844
If you want good descriptions of art deco, neo-classical architecture, read my autobio, anon.
>>
>>7739843
This is too damn true.
>>
>>7741025
>anarchists being fascists of a nation with a population of 1

typical mussolini drivel, you can argue absolutely anyone is a fascist of a nation with a population of one. I know this sounds like a dank maymay at this point, but you should really read the Ego and It's Own by Doctor Peter Venkman.
>>
Objectivism and anarcho-capitalism are literally retarded. I have more respect for fascists. At least their ideology would actually function.
>>
>>7739580

Rand is good to read if you live in a very liberal area. It will give you a broader and more pragmatic perspective on politics.

For example, many liberals support welfare of various kinds without thinking about how it will be paid for and who will pay for it. Free college, free healthcare... you should always put the "free" in scare quotes.

It also shows how easily communism can be corrupted (letting government be in charge of collecting all the capital and distribute it leads to government appropriating more than their share).

Even if you don't end up agreeing with everything she says, it's worth reading just to challenge what your liberal teachers taught you (teachers are usually liberal because they are government employees and their paychecks come out of taxes).
>>
>>7743210
The goal is to make poor people starve
>>
>>7739843
You forgot all the times Dag gets fucked by even better hunters than her.
>>
>>7743277
>tfw teacher
>tfw <3 Rand Paul

I am a science teacher so that might be why I am further right
>>
>>7740409
yeah, yeah. I don't care for it.
>>
>>7743153
>he fell for it
>>
>>7743277
taxes; the rich. every time.
>>
>>7743440
>implying the rich won't just hide their cash
>>
>>7743449
Doesnt work like that, especially if you are payed by a business that is a non-profit or a corporation that reports profits.

People who are rich from cash businesses are the ones who hide cash.
>>
>>7743458
>people can't hide their assets from the government

It is like you don't even know what accountants do
>>
>>7743470
I think you watch too much TV. I have an accountant at the biggest firm in RI. I ask, are there any shelters or potential options to hide my cash aside from my 403(b) and my 457 Executive Investment Plan?

Yes he says. Buy real estate as an investment and write shit off as expenses, or go do for an overseas staffing firm that pays you without notifying the US govt. Then put your money in a Swiss Bank account.

So yeah, its like you dont know what its like to actually make money.
>>
>>7742541
It seems weird she's hated on here, considering people tend to have similar ideals, usually.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.