[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what translation of iliad/odyssey is the most patrician?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 349823904.jpg (58 KB, 582x428) Image search: [Google]
349823904.jpg
58 KB, 582x428
what translation of iliad/odyssey is the most patrician?
>>
File: 1456183998174.png (972 KB, 728x978) Image search: [Google]
1456183998174.png
972 KB, 728x978
Fagles.
>>
>>7737930
Lattimore
>>
pope. contrarians are gonna come and tell you he's not faithful/it's a rework/it's not good/whatever but it's the best poetically by far. trying to get literal/strict meanings and translations of ancient greek is a fruitless endeavour anyway so you might as well just get the most lyrically profound one.
>>
Three different answers, jesus christ
>>
>>7737960
>expecting consensus on anything
>>
>>7737930
Samuel Butler
>>
The translation that I read.
>>
Was going to make another thread, but I'll just ask here. What is the best translation of the Aeneid?
>>
>>7738033
lattimore
>>
>>7738033
James Rhoades
>>
>>7737960
We have this thread practically everyday, so people mostly just shitpost and meme in them. It's a stupid question anyway because there is no 'best' translation of anything.
>>
>translations
>>
Fitzgerald.
>>
in greek
>>
Fagels: good first time read. Attention paid to alliteration, repetition
Rieu: definitive prose translation
Lattimore: literal with special attention paid to stress and sounds. Patrish af senpai.
Fitzgerald: fast, poetic, highly regarded
Chapman: very early translation, what Shakespeare would have read
Pope: the big boss of homer translation
>>
>>7738033
Dryden
>>
>>7737944
I'm a contrarian and I came here to say Pope

obviously it's not "faithful" to the original in many details which excite modern translators, but on the whole it's an incredible translation and, unlike most translations, good poetry in a heroic meter.

Every translation is going to be filled with interpretation and artificial style. Pope's style is at least good.
>>
>>7738033
I can understand not learning Greek, but come on, Latin is not that hard to learn. Almost every introductory textbook is geared toward helping you read Vergil. You could be reading the Aeneid in Latin in less than a year.
>>
>>7737930
>translation
>patrician
pick one and only one
>>
there's no such thing as being a patrician and not knowing greek
>>
Lombardo
o
m
b
a
r
d
o
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.