[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>l'enfer, c'est les autres what did he mean by this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: sartre.jpg (238 KB, 655x500) Image search: [Google]
sartre.jpg
238 KB, 655x500
>l'enfer, c'est les autres

what did he mean by this?
>>
File: t s eliot.jpg (8 KB, 286x289) Image search: [Google]
t s eliot.jpg
8 KB, 286x289
>What is hell? Hell is oneself.
>Hell is alone, the other figures in it
>Merely projections. There is nothing to escape from
>And nothing to escape to. One is always alone.

>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 91x120) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 91x120
>Hell hath no limits, nor is circumscrib’d
>In one self place; for where we are is hell,
>And where hell is there must we ever be:
>And, to conclude, when all the world dissolves,
>And every creature shall be purified,
>All places shall be hell that is not Heaven.

what did he mean by this??
>>
File: 129338-004-E2EC1A9A.jpg (26 KB, 363x450) Image search: [Google]
129338-004-E2EC1A9A.jpg
26 KB, 363x450
>The mind is its own place, and in it self
>Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

>Which way I fly is Hell; my self am Hell

>>
>>7733903
Normies reeeee
>>
>>7733903

He meant that when things go bad between people, there's nothing that could be worse (cf., e.g., 'Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned').
>>
Hell sounds like a lot of things
>>
>People who are different than me can be a pain in the ass.

wat he meen wid hat??

You're basically proving his point.
You are my hell. Now I am yours.
>>
>>7733903

that you live in the constant judgement of others like the character who says this, he is condemned to remain in the room with two women and he can't escape
It is consistent with his theory in L'être et le néant where he explains that others make up your identity and you have little grasp on it. Therefore the problem is that living under the eyes of others is hell but it's what makes you exist as an individual being (a person, a subject rather than an object) and alone you don't exist. It is a pain and a necessity.
That's what he meant rather than the plain fact that other people are annoying
>>
>>7733903
The idea originally was that when you die, all that is left is the idea people have and will have of you, and nothing you can do (because you obviously can't do anything anymore) will be able to change it. Your being, that according to existentialism is to be constructed and perfected during all your life is now permanently fixed. So Hell, in the very literal Christian sense, becomes the others, wherein you're forever trapped, and their interpretation of who you were becomes who you are.

Then, quite ironically, it was taken out of context and vastly misunderstood.
>>
>>7735068
thanks.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.