[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Faulkner vs. Pynchon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Faulkner vs. Pynchon.jpg (424 KB, 1886x1199) Image search: [Google]
Faulkner vs. Pynchon.jpg
424 KB, 1886x1199
Are they the two best American authors, or simply the most admired? Which do you prefer and why?
>>
>>7730081
No. That title belongs to Gaddis, Hawkes, or Gass (McElroy, maybe?). And though I do quite like Pynchon, I'd have to say Faulkner is, in terms of style and ideas, a better author (whatever that means).
>>
>>7730097
how do you determine who deserves the title? why?
>>
>>7730126
In truth, no one does. I'm just playing along and trying to start a discussion about the authors I listed.
>>
which book by Pynchon should I start with?
>>
what book by Pynchon should I start with? I haven't read any of them
>>
>>7730097
Shut the fuck up, lol. I want the Gaddis/McElroy meme to die. I guarantee you haven't even read Women and Men. Holy shit this place is so fucking pretentious.
>>
>>7730179
Depends. I recommend skipping TCOL49 and starting with V.
>>
>>7730179
crying of lot
>>
>>7730179
Gravity's Rainbow. It's his best. Don't pussyfoot around it by reading something else of his that others may think you'll have an easier time understanding.
>>
>>7730180
just dive straight the fuck into the gravity's rainbow and have fun
>>
>>7730179

Inherent Vice
>>
>>7730183
>>7730184
>>7730185

hahahahah thanks anyway
>>
>>7730182
You're going to have to try harder than that to bait me, anon.
>>
Faulkner if you're into dark Southern Gothic.
Pynchon if you like drug-filled nonsensical paranoid schizophrenic absurdity.
>>
>>7730081
Nope. It's McCarthy bitch
>>
>>7730229
>bitch
Bloom please leave.
>>
>>7730185
b-but GR is much more fun and comprehensible after the 'lot'. It is a great introduction imho
>>
>>7730184
more like crying a lot
>>
Billy F all the way
>>
Hemingway no contest
>>
>>7730081
> implying I give a shit about hillbillies jerking off on their porch while they take turns "narrating"

pinecone all the way
>>
>>7730081
>or simply the most admired?
John Green
>>
>>7730081
pynchon is a juvenile hack
>>
Yea but really Wallace is the best
>>
>>7732617
>not Lin
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.