[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never see posts about Charles Dickens on /lit/ and I was wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: MTI2NzE5OTAwMjQzNzMzMTIz.jpg (70 KB, 619x503) Image search: [Google]
MTI2NzE5OTAwMjQzNzMzMTIz.jpg
70 KB, 619x503
I never see posts about Charles Dickens on /lit/ and I was wondering why. Is it because he was paid by the word? I have read A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield, and the only mention I've ever seen of him was Two Cities on infographs for recommended /lit/ books occasionally. I do agree that Two Cities is much better for its brevity.
>>
because he isn't currently a meme
>>
lack of psychological depth in his novels. Writing 85 boring door-stoppers doesn't make you good by default
>>
He's an English Dostoevsky and /lit/ hates Dostoevsky. They're both Patrician but I people here only seem to like "le so randum XD" novels from the 20th century.

Bleak House is my favourite.
>>
Great Expectations is a fantastic book. It's the pinnacle of the rags-to-riches story.
>>
>>7730143
Rather missing the point. He purposely didn't write those kind of characters, he had to make them broad so his readers would remember who they were in the weeks between reading the chapters.

They are supposed to be archetypes.

OP, He's very entertaining as well as being a good writer. Personal favorite is still Oliver Twist, but I should point out that objectively speaking it's not great, he's a young writer, the plot is awkwardly tied together and there are other problems too.
>>
>>7730248
>/lit/ hates dosty
Fkn wew.
>>
>>7730046
He was paid by the monthly installment, called a number, and not by the word. And I expect /lit/ doesn't like his books much because most of them are large and, it should be obvious by now, very few people on /lit/ actually read the books that get talked about. There's also this mistaken impression that he writes novels without depth or engagement with important issues.

He may not be one of le meme authors, but he, the original Chuck D, is one of the greatest novelists in English.

My favourites...
Pickwick Papers
Bleak House
Sketches by Boz
David Copperfield (though Great Expectations is a better novel)
>>
>>7730355
This post makes me want to vomit.
>>
>>7730362
nobody cares
>>
>>7730362
fight me bitch
>>
>>7730371
Yes. Nobody cares.
>>
>>7730380
Stoppit. Nobody cares.
>>
>>7730322
I thought Oliver Twist was pretty great (then again I read it in >translation so it'd be hard to notice any lingual errors). What do you mean when you say the plot is awkwardly tied together?
>>
>>7730046
fuck the bitch ass haters. they don't mention him because everyone has read at least something by him and you can't brag about having read dickens. fact of the matter is that he was a brilliant guy with lots of voices in his head and was a shit husband. but mostly what i said will hold true of many authors. the normies have read him? he's not post modern? REEEEE
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.