[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to write love poetry without it sounding like pretentious,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: 1453340227222.jpg (253 KB, 1195x670) Image search: [Google]
1453340227222.jpg
253 KB, 1195x670
How to write love poetry without it sounding like pretentious, teenage, purple prose garbage?
>>
fucking read love poetry first you twit
>>
do many meisterstudien like they do in painting: take a poem you like and fuck with it until you have figured out how it works. Then try to write the exact same poem again, but with an understanding why you are chosing every words, sign and linebreak.
>>
File: 1455740262246.png (32 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1455740262246.png
32 KB, 633x758
>tfw you will never have someone to give your love poems to
>>
be a good writer
>>
>>7727322
Just don't?

Of all the things to write about you choose love?

Pleb-alert!
>>
>>7727348
That will prob only make them better desu
>>
>>7727371
You have to have experienced love to write honestly about it. Not have a romanticized version of it. That's why most of it is teenage crap.

Once you grow older, you realize love is more complex than "the greatest thing I've ever felt" bullshit.

You want to be good at love poems?
Experience it and be honest about it.
>>
Nerruda
>>
>>7727391
t. pua
>>
>>7727391
Are you implying there's something wrong with romantic love poetry?
>>
File: 1443994347604.jpg (81 KB, 872x1000) Image search: [Google]
1443994347604.jpg
81 KB, 872x1000
>>7727322
Make it funny, dirty, and aggressively sexual
>>
>>7727391
this
>>
>>7727398
Except for the fact that it only exists in fairy tales?

Love is a long line of compromises, fears, fights and sacrifices. Now and then you get to have an intermission with the occasional romantic moment and intercourse if it's you're lucky day.

That's what you find out if you've ever lasted longer than a month.

That's why nobody who's in an actual relationship buys that romantic teenage love crap anymore.

Just try it, it will sound insincere as fuck.
>>
>>7727437
>All works must be done in a realist style
>>
>>7727459
>wanting to write the poetry equivalent of YA shit
>>
>>7727464
>The greeks wrote the poetic equivalent of YA shit
>>
>>7727480
>comparing your unwritten emotional schlock to "the greeks"
>>
>>7727484
>Implying you've read my poems
>>
>>7727459
OP asks advice.
Anon provides.

I never said he couldn't write pretentious, teenage, purple prose garbage. He can do whatever he wants.

He asked: "How to write love poetry without it sounding like pretentious, teenage, purple prose garbage?"

>>7727398
Are you implying he should continue writing romantic love poetry?

And let's be honest, most people writing about romantic "love" poetry actually write about "desire". They just don't realize it.
>>
>>7727391
>>7727437

none of these are even valid criticisms even if they were unequivocally true.

I get the feeling you haven't read much poetry, much less Romantic poetry.
>>
>>7727464
>>7727484
>>7727515
autism
>>
>>7727391
>"Poetry is REAL man *(by real I mean supports my assumed version of reality)"

Epic
>>
>>7727391

>bro wtf only my conception of love is real bro I've dated like 8 girls man love is just like 90% depression 10% joy read tolstoy my man

stop
>>
>>7727322
check shakespeare's sonnets

though even those have a shit tonne of purple prose
>>
ITT: Faggots that will never be in love and will never be loved.
>>
>>7727910
you mean beta orbiters getting a reality check
>>
File: bell.jpg (38 KB, 390x270) Image search: [Google]
bell.jpg
38 KB, 390x270
>>7727322
you don't
>>
>>7727322

It is like dancing. You are currently self-conscious, or afraid of failure, or resentful of the happy couple dancing, or that other faggot's love poem you dislike, fuck that guy, I hate that guy. Like the person who can't dance.

Caring about the affect above all is your principal mistake, because you haven't been through the below process.

When you really love someone, and you write them a love poem (or a nice short piece of smut) and they affirm the love poem, then the love poem will have served its purpose.

And then you will stop caring about irrelevant details like the independent literary merit of the poem itself. Or how well you do that one dance move. Because the object of the display will have been consummated and affirmed.
>>
>>7727484

>not that other guy, but:
>The Greeks were literal Ubermenschen whose prose was objectively better and we totally haven't romanticized their place in history
>>
>>7728005
fag kek
>>
>"Writer, poet draws the energy and material for his works from two sources: from his personality, and from the outside world. But it is needed for the personality to be strong and united, and the world, life, reality to be felt directly and acutely."
>>
>>7727916
>beta
>orbiters
>reality check
>>>/r9k/
>>7728016
entirely wholly true
>>
>>7727572
Here's a good example by our dearest Shelley:

Oh, come to me in dreams, my love!
I will not ask a dearer bliss;
Come with the starry beams, my love,
And press mine eyelids with thy kiss.

’Twas thus, as ancient fables tell,
Love visited a Grecian maid,
Till she disturbed the sacred spell,
And woke to find her hopes betrayed.

But gentle sleep shall veil my sight,
And Psyche’s lamp shall darkling be,
When, in the visions of the night,
Thou dost renew thy vows to me.

Then come to me in dreams, my love,
I will not ask a dearer bliss;
Come with the starry beams, my love,
And press mine eyelids with thy kiss.

You see what she's actually saying here or do you want me to break it down for you?

I'll give you a hint:
"Till she disturbed the sacred spell,
And woke to find her hopes betrayed."

There you go. All you need to know about romantic love. By a female romantic poet.
>>
My love for you:
is salmon paste on toast
when the courier arrived on time
and the toast is crusted just right
I bid you, adieu!
My day will be very busy.
>>
>>7727464
>Petrarca
>poetic YA
Do you expect to be taken seriously?
>>
File: 1453731222859.jpg (162 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1453731222859.jpg
162 KB, 1462x1462
>>7731333
Whats with you dweebs trying to compare yourselves with writers who are much more well practiced and knowledgeable than you? When all you really have is tangentially related subject matter.

Splurging down tearful scribbles about your crush does not put you on the same level as fucking Keats.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.