[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Literary Boozers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: best literary boozers.jpg (413 KB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
best literary boozers.jpg
413 KB, 2400x2400
Who are the best literary boozers? Does alcohol fuel creativity in artists? Name your favorite drink to start.
>>
DUDE BOOZE LMAO
>>
>>7725223
Kuba Libre.
>>
>>7725230
Hooch was already taken.
>>
>>7725223
>Does alcohol fuel creativity in artists?

Probably not.
>>
File: Jarry & Verlaine.jpg (405 KB, 2400x2228) Image search: [Google]
Jarry & Verlaine.jpg
405 KB, 2400x2228
Probably the two most notorious absinthe drinkers.
>>
>>7725223
Missed Hunter S. Thompson off there.

And yes. It frees the tongue but the results arent always flattering.
>>
>>7725223
Where the fuck is Carver?
>>
>>7725282
>>7725289
There are too many missing to mention (or even fully account for). If a collage were made of every writer that struggled with alcohol addiction, I wonder how big it would be? Also, I would add Burroughs in there somewhere.
>>
Kerouac. He was a margarita man.
>>
File: kerouac2.jpg (20 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
kerouac2.jpg
20 KB, 620x349
>>7725315
He was more of a sweet port wine man I believe.
>>
>>7725223
Why is Lowry not on this list? He was a better writer than all but two of them, and he drank more than all of them
>>
>>7725223
Fugg Joyce looks so hot in that photo
>>
Whos the lass?
>>
>>7725455
Dorothy Parker.
>>
shakespeare and baudelaire smoked weed

weed is best

joyce was a pleb who hated red wine
>>
who's under F Scott?
>>
>>7725223
I doubt it fueled creativity. Many writers, including those pictured, used it to cope with mental issues, or problems in their lives, rather than something to write on. I know Hemingway didn't typically write drunk.
inb4
>write drunk, edit sober
He was blustering. Most of the time when he actually talks/write about his process, he doesn't include being drunk. In A Moveable Feast all he ever mentions is a couple beers while he writes, and that mostly seems to be so he could hold a table for the time. In his later Paris Review art of fiction interview, he doesn't include drinking as part of his process at all.
>>
>>7725619
Dylan Thomas.
>>
FYI Joyce worked sober all day and then got drunk at night. With a strong preference for white wine.
>>
>>7725600
DFW smoked weed as well AND HE KILLED HIMSELF
DRUGS ARE BAD MKAY
>>
PSA: Alcohol is bad for your health and you should not ingest it in any form!
>>
>>7725223

>no dfw

come ooooon
>>
>>7725680
he should have got that high cbd strain that pynchon smokes to produce real masterpieces
>>
File: Richard Brautigan.jpg (50 KB, 438x500) Image search: [Google]
Richard Brautigan.jpg
50 KB, 438x500
This beautiful human specimen.
>>
File: easy on the bananas.jpg (140 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
easy on the bananas.jpg
140 KB, 600x400
>>7725680
DFW was a huge alcoholic in his twenties, right?
>>7725700
>that high cbd strain that pynchon smokes
Any source for this?
>>
>>7725248
Depends on the person.
>>
>>7725230
Are you pissed still that you can't take a shot without getting smashed?
>>
>>7725223
I donĀ“t really wanna opine on this but get that talentless hack Bukowski from that picture and add Malcolm Lowry.
>>
>>7725223
calling Bukowski "literary" is a bit of a stretch.
>>
>>7725298
Burroughs was a filthy junky and a raging ass bandit who came from money before he was a drunk though.
>>
>>7725223
Whiskey in all of its varieties and spellings, neat at room temperature. Single malt scotch is the best but I'm too poor to afford that shit most of the time.
>>
>>7727846
are you... me?
>>
>>7727846
Get me some o' that fine Knobb Creek
>>
>>7727846
Evan Williams (Green Label) is an awesome bourbon that you can sip straight (no ice or water needed). And it's super cheap.
>>
>>7725223
Fitzgerald, Parker, Joyce, and Williams are boozers. The rest are alcoholics.
>>
>>7728481
I can sip any whiskey straight. Rye is slightly harder, but still doable.
>>
>>7729820
>Fitzgerald was not an alcoholic
I'm not sure you're right about that.
>>
>>7729862
Obviously all of them were alcoholics strictly speaking, but Fitzgerald/Parker/Joyce/Williams were people you might have had a legitimately good time with. Faulkner and Hemingway would just have depressed the shit out of you, and Bukowski would have ended up giving you bedbugs somehow. Can't speak for the rabbi or whatever irish blowhard short story writer is center-left, since I don't recognize them
>>
>>7730067
You mean Dylan Thomas and John Berryman?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.