[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Character says they are an atheist/nihilist >Is miserable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: dostoevsky[1].jpg (70 KB, 513x600) Image search: [Google]
dostoevsky[1].jpg
70 KB, 513x600
>Character says they are an atheist/nihilist
>Is miserable and hates living
>Acts like a total scumbag, raping and murdering people

>Character is a Christian
>Very wise and insightful
>Treats everybody well and kind
>Lives a happy life
Repeat this formula for 10 different novels
BRAVO VEYDOR!
The king of strawmanning
>>
>>7723967
From what my grandfather told me, that's exactly what people were like back then (yes I'm Russian).
>>
Yeah man why can't people from the 19th century who were first experiencing the loss of absolutes be more relatable to the nihilism we were molded in.
>>
>>7723967
I read The Gambler, Crime and Punishment
After starting Demons I feel disillusioned by Dostoevsky, aside from your obvious bait post Fyodor's novels feel really immature compared to Tolstoy or Turgenev
>>
>>7724036
>19th century
> first experiencing the loss of absolutes
well meme'd friend!
just kidding, bad post
>>
>>7723967

> Nihilist
> Entire system of beliefs revolves around life having no meaning
> Surprised when such individuals are scumbag and/or mentally unstable

wew lad
>>
>>7724061
Can you even not be a nihilist if you are not religious though?
>>
>>7724071
Yes, the majority of philosophers are moral realists, and also atheists.
>>
>>7724074
>moral realists

I see the moral relativists have changed their nom de plume because they realized jerking off an autistic emotionless kraut wasn't authentic
>>
>>7724104
Which kraut are you talking about?
>>
Dostoevsky has many unsympathetic Christians. Father Farapont, Gregory, the moneylender lady (who was leaving her money to a monastery), and that priest from the Idiot who shames that poor girl for her fornication.

I'd also say the atheist communist from Crime and Punishment, while rather comic, was clearly a very good person when it came down to it. The Underground Man, who also was not very religious, was nonetheless a major vehicle for Dostoevsky's philosophy and probably one of the wisest, if most irascible characters, in Dostoevsky's corpus. The Idiot, too, is quite a paragon character in the vein of Alyosha, but he is not explicitly Christian anymore than Russians in general art. Also, Sonya's Father was a Christian and talked about the importance of humility and being forgiven by God, even while he ruined his family. And of Alyosha's two brothers, while the atheist is more destructive in his own way, he is really more of an honorable person than the Christian brother who is just a piece of shit despite hating himself for it. Then you have depictions of Satan, such as the one who talks to Ivan and possibly Porfiry, and both of these are pretty balanced (Ivan's Satan would go on to form the basis of the one in the Master and Margarita, whose author was in fact a Christian critiquing the retconning of Christ's life by the Communist Party).

No, Dostoevsky is pretty balanced.
>>
That's what they are like, though.
>>
>>7724139
/thread
>>
>>7724139

This board could use more people like you. Good post.
>>
>>7724184
It could, but then the useless parasites would disguise their homework help threads as lit discussion, and slowly but surely vein drip the good posters to death.
>>
>>7724184
Thanks
>>
>>7724104
What?
Moral realism is pretty much the opposite of moral relativism.

>>7724104
>>7724122
>kraut
You mean nietzsche?
>>
>>7724215
I'm sure they'd prefer that to the usual trash.
>>
>>7724074
>philosophers
>atheists

topkek m8

The fathers of theology were atheists, sure. Were you born stupid or do you practice?
>>
>>7724074

>Yes, the majority of philosophers are moral realists, and also atheists.

You must have read not a lot of philosophers. There's maybe a handful that were atheist.

Thruth is, they're also the most interesting.
>>
Well, I guess this was kinda reflective of Atheists at the time though
>>
>>7724030
It's still like that :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 576x747) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 576x747
>>7723967
>nihilists
>being sad about meaninglessness any further than when they first come to that conclusion
>>
>>7724407
That picture is kind of stupid though. Those are simply two different ways of dealing with meaninglessness. Both positions are valid because, well, nothing matters.
Essentially, no true Scotsman fallacy.
>>
OK, repeat the formula but make two masterpiece like Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov, you, peace of moron
>>
>>7724432
It's SMBC Comics, literally fedora-tier shit. Check some of the comics and the merchandise that's for sale.
>>
>>7724617
>peace of moron
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 540x360
>>7724407
>>7724432
>>
>>7723967
inst that just an issue with the main characters in crime and punishment?
>>
>>7723967

Pretty accurate for real life tho
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.