[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to increase my vocabulary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: ladda ned.png (144 B, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
ladda ned.png
144 B, 225x225
I want to increase my vocabulary to become better at writing, and I guess talking, for that matter. What do I read?
>>
>>7723490
the dictionary
the thesaurus
>>
>>7723490

Wake up, read it on your phone, and make it your mission to use that word by thd end of the day.
>>
I need some help with this too.
Whenever I come across a word I don't know I look it up in the dictionary only to discover I've seen it dozens of times.

How do I fix my shit memory?
>>
>>7723503
Not sure if you can, friendo.
>>
>>7723503
Same here. I keep a notebook that I fill with new words and find myself recording certain words multiple times. This is when I realized I'm a stupid person.
>>
>>7723501
I doubt you're still here but did you find any success in that? As in being able to retain the meaning afterwards?
>>
>>7723490
consider that esoteric vocab hurts writing more often than it helps.

when you rely on an obscure word, you alienate a vast audience

if you consider skill in writing to be the same as skill in communicating, think about saying complicated things in simple words, and compressing ideas down into as few words as possible. rewriting is where you'll do most of this kind of practice, shuffling around clauses and sentences to achieve a form that satisfies the three requirements of using simplest words possible, shortest communication length possible, and saying everything that needs to be said.
>>
>>7723569
Brains are different. Shit memory doesn't mean shit brain. Stop being on 4chan so much. It messes with you.
>>
>>7723569
>>7723503
Use Anki
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.