[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/, does reality (or things in general as we understand them)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 1280x848) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 1280x848
/lit/, does reality (or things in general as we understand them) outside of us really exist? Can we prove something exists if our body or our mind don't perceive said thing? Atheists only here.
>>
Go away.
>>
>>7723412
fuck off and read some bertrand russel
>>
reddit pseudo-intellectuals are taking over
>>
>>7723424
What's pseudo-intellectual about this? It's a legit question, I can't find an answer.
>>
Nothing exists outside of your own head, what a cool original idea that can be probed deeply and richly
>>
>>7723426
Stop trying.
>>
>>7723426
This is a question that every human being on the face of the earth has asked and has an entire branch of philosophy dedicated to it.
>>
>>7723429
I am gonna kill myself if I can't.

>>7723427
Can we apply this concept to us? Do we exist?
>>
>>7723432
I am looking for answers or any good suggestion for that same reason, I can't find an answer.
>>
>>7723412
How Can The World Be Real If Our Memes Aren't Real
>>
>>7723440
Go and read all of the philosophy surrounding the subject, if you don't find an answer there, you certainly won't find it here.
>>
>>7723436
Why? If reality doesn't exist, why kill yourself? Go fuck off and do whatever you dreamed of doing before you got all that edge.

I recommend Zorba the Greek.
>>
>>7723436
How would something that doesn't exist question its existence? If action necessarily signals existence, then you have your answer in your questioning.
>>
>>7723412
Gender doesn't exist, I'll tell you that much.
>>
>>7723436
Rest in peace.
>>
The word "reality" and "real" serve a function in communicative exchanges. They're useful words when applied correctly and thus have as much objective meaning as anything can. Unless you further specify what you mean by "reality", I don't think your question can be answered because you haven't really asked anything
>>
>>7723412
>direct/naive realism
>representational realism
>transcendental idealism
>absolute idealism

These are your main options OP. This is one of the central questions of metaphysics and there's no quick answer. Each one of the aforementioned theories has it's positives and limitations.

If you're asking for a personal opinion, I'd probably go along the lines of Kant/Schopenhauer's transcendental idealism. The veil of perception that separates us from the noumena (things are they are in themselves) seems to great a barrier to gain any sort of conclusive knowledge about it. We only have access to perceptual knowledge which is always filtered through the veil. Although there's something to be said about Schopie's assertion that we have unique knowledge of one thing: our own bodies.
>>
>>7723412
If you haven't figured out why solipsism is for idiots you haven't read any philosophy on the subject.

You're better off asking this in /b/ than on /lit/.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.