[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this worth reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: hoc.jpg (38 KB, 261x400) Image search: [Google]
hoc.jpg
38 KB, 261x400
Is this worth reading?
>>
nigga u spying on me? i literally just torrented the audiobook and started playing it one second before i refreshed the page,shit seems pretty patrish so far, "story of civilization" tier epic history
>>
>>7723344
No.
>>7723352
>audiobook
>>
>>7723344
Too long. Try the 500 p one by johnson.
>>
>>7723356
>not absorbing patrish vibes via audiobook while shitposting

stay pleb
>>
>>7723364
>too long
>audiobook is six 8 hour mp3s
>play at 1.5x speed
>36 hours total

stay adhd pleb
>>
any of u brosefs read this shit?
>>
>>7723385
nope
>>
I haven't read this one, but his book on the Reformation is top notch. So, I would recommend giving it a go.
>>
HERE WE GO NOW

AH

HERE WE GO NOW AH

LETS GO NOW AH

LETS GO NOW AH

HERE WE GO NOW

AH

HERE WE GO NOW AH

LETS GO NOW AH

LETS GO NOW AH

HERE WE GO NOW

AH

HERE WE GO NOW AH

LETS GO NOW AH

LETS GO NOW AH

HERE WE GO NOW

AH

HERE WE GO NOW AH

LETS GO NOW AH

LETS GO NOW AH
>>
>>7724147
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kFirrAXDuk

This will help you get pumped up about reading a 800 page book on the history of Christianity.
>>
Historians can't prove that Jesus really existed, no Roman historians mention him or his actions and the earliest texts found have been dated to 400 years after his alleged death. So it sounds to me like a bunch of whitewashed, over exaggerated stories to me......
>>
>>7725375
That's not true at all.
>>
>>7725375
>implying the romans cared what the jews were up to
>implying tacitus didn't write about jesus in 115 the year of our lord
>>
>>7723656
thanks m8 I just ordered it from amazon. I guess I know what I'll be reading for the next 2 months
>>
>>7723344

I wasn't impressed. I enjoyed the start when it had more of a focus on the eastern (Syriac etc) churches, but he lets his biases get the better of him when it comes to the western churches and he glosses over some pretty important details for the sake of making his point (the church only existed as a political institution...seriously).

If you want a better book on the eastern churches, Jenkins' "Lost History of Christianity" is just as informative and 1/5 the size. If you want a better book on the western churches, just read literally anything else.

3/10
>>
>>7727614
In what way does it gloss?
>>
>>7727380
Very cool. If you like what you find, you should pick up a copy of his, "The Reformation: A History".
>>
>>7727668

It's been 4 or 5 years since I read it, but I seem to remember it only talking about powerful bishops and politicians. Like, if you had no other knowledge about early Christianity and read this book, you would honestly believe that there were no poor Christians in the Roman Empire.

Obviously, he's got a major issue with the Roman Catholic church - which is fine - but I found his history of the western church to be less "the story of the development of Christianity in Europe" and more "let me tell you about things I don't like".
>>
>>7727717
Thanks, that's very reasonable. Although I don't have a problem with that so I'm going to pick it up now.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.