[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which program do you guys use to write? There is any good program
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9
File: 138369819275.jpg (130 KB, 966x637) Image search: [Google]
138369819275.jpg
130 KB, 966x637
Which program do you guys use to write? There is any good program for this kind of stuff or just generic thing like office?

How do you guys write? I mean, with complete silence, listening to music, listening to ambient sounds, drinking, smoking, during the night, the day? Tell me about your writhing habits.
>>
These days I use Noisli.com and use the rain sounds for both my reading and my writing. It keeps my mind at ease as I write
>>
>>7721879
Which program do you use?
>>
>>7721854
?
>>
>>7721854
Just windows stock notepad. Why? Because I can transfer the files to any computer without worrying about compatibility.
>>
>>7721854
Microsoft Word
I like to writing at night around 2 am
When everybody is sleeping and I can have peace and silence.
>>
>>7721931
>I like to writing
I bet you write in english, anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 428x308) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 428x308
MS Word.
Late at night/early morning + weekends
Caffeine plus headphones playing higher BPM industrial/Rock/metal/techno
Incredible page turnout
>>
LaTex
>>
Vim, LaTeX plugin (for autoindentation and some stylistic hints), LaTex.
>>
>>7721854
TextEdit, Notepad and mobile equivalent for notes. Open Office for first and second draft. MS Office for advanced versions. Would love to use OneNote for personal wiki but MS fucked it up for mac pretty bad.

>I mean, with complete silence, listening to music, listening to ambient sounds
Depends on the scene or the process. Usually music (classical, soundtracks or rap ... because stuff)

>drinking, smoking
Vodka, wine, coffee and energy drinks. Cigarettes and weed.

>during the night, the day
Both, usually from 6pm to 6am.

>>7721913
How do you deal with bigger texts though or do you create a new file for every chapter?
>>
>>7721854
Wordpad, one track playing on repeat for the entire duration
>>
>>7721854

MS Paint.

You can draw silly pictures if you're out of inspiration.
>>
authorea.com

i use it for my academic writing, sadly only one private article is free, for more you have to pay

version control, citation, remote backup, all good
>>
>>7721854

I used Microsoft Word. I just set up a film, music playlist, or series of images on my second monitor that encapsulates the feeling of what I'm trying to write about and set to it. I do my best work as soon as I wake up, and I absolutely detest reading what I've written at night.
>>
File: the cockwork of konigsberg.jpg (154 KB, 964x1388) Image search: [Google]
the cockwork of konigsberg.jpg
154 KB, 964x1388
>>7721854
LaTeX (LyX with KOMA-script classes).

I usually sit with some incense burning, /maybe/ music but I generally like my peace and quiet. With a cup of tea usually.

Most of my time is at home so I'm usually at my desk, so any time is fine, though I usually work better late at night since I tend to wake up a bit more, but that can also mean I'm more distracted and sometimes would rather just go sit on my bed and read.

I drink occasionally but it isn't a habit, I don't smoke.
>>
writemonkey
>>
Google Drive. I lile sharing my works with my friends and this makes it easy too.
>>
LaTeX (Texmaker), Notepad++
>>
Texmaker. I write not much
>>
>>7721854
Microsoft Word, night or day, it doesn't matter.
I prefer to write while listening to instrumental music (mostly baroque, post-bop and ambient) but silence is alright too.
>>
>Which program do you guys use to write?

Emacs and MediaWiki, plus a few custom designed Perl scripts that do some basic text analysis.

>There is any good program for this kind of stuff or just generic thing like office?

Anything as long as you don't confuse page design and typesetting with writing.

>How do you guys write? I mean, with complete silence, listening to music, listening to ambient sounds, drinking, smoking, during the night, the day?

Silence, or non-distracting ambient sounds. Drink coffee or beer, or nothing at all. Afternoon sessions are the most productive, with plenty a blitzy late night -- is that the sun again!? -- endurance run.
>>
only a advice for you my friends: I usually write listening soundtracks from games or movies.
>>
File: 1456002530199.gif (4 MB, 250x444) Image search: [Google]
1456002530199.gif
4 MB, 250x444
Libre office, either with crappy or cult shit on on, preferably movies.
>2016
>not having movies as backdrop for creative process
>>
good thread.
>>
Pen & Paper then I transcribe to digital.

Depending on the situation I use either Google Docs or Word (linked to dropbox). This is so I have multiple copies on deck.

Finalized shit goes in the Scrivener file.
>>
I have to make myself do Pen and Paper or I can't focus. Plus staring at a screen all day.
>>
>>7721854
Pencil and paper. Are you guys fucking retarded?
>>
>>7727255
>Pencil
retard detected
>>
>>7727258
What the fuck did you just say? are you saying pencils are the fucking GOAT of writing untensil?
>>
word
>>
>>7721854
I write almost exclusively as procrastination

like if I have a research paper to write or an exam to be studying for, Ill often work on a poem instead
>>
my diary to be honest family
>>
I'm sorry, but is there any script writer here? Which program do you use?
>>
Pirated Scrivener desu
>>
>>7728247
Any good plugins for scrivener? There's a thing called AeonTimeline and it looks solid for history writing.
>>
>>7728142
celtx, cuz final draft is expensive and im poor and not really a pro yet and i don't wanna pirate
evernote for notes
>>
>>7721854
I just use Microsoft Word, but not before I sacrifice a lamb upon the altar, and even then I only write during the hours that the sun sets. I usually do penis exercises the day before too, otherwise I can never focus enough to craft some tasty prose.
>>
File: 1449279795105.jpg (108 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1449279795105.jpg
108 KB, 900x675
I've become conditioned so I can only write in 4chan quick reply frames- anything else reminds me of high school and gives me instant writer's block. I write in the reply field and copy my progress to open office every few minutes. It's not perfect but it works for me, my first novel, written entirely in this way, comes out soon.
>>
The flesh and blood of my fallen enemies provide themselves as useful tools.
>>
>>7721854
Emacs with org mode
>>
File: montblanc-pen-01.jpg (85 KB, 1000x568) Image search: [Google]
montblanc-pen-01.jpg
85 KB, 1000x568
>>7721854
The best program there is. Word processors are for plebs of the highest order.
>>
>>7730618
Well you say that, but as a publisher if you send me a handwritten manuscript, unless you're a proven draw, and you ain't, it isn't going to get read, let alone published. Still, if you've got enough spare cash to piss it away on a ridiculously overpriced pen, I daresay your continuing failure to publish isn't going to bother you.
>>
File: 1443767595018.jpg (54 KB, 345x336) Image search: [Google]
1443767595018.jpg
54 KB, 345x336
>>7730635
>he doesn't write by hand and order his butler to type and prepare the work for submission
>>
>>7728671
8/10 post.
>>
>>7727261
>the fucking greatest of all time of writing
>of all time of
mediocre prose detected
>>
File: tumblr_nk8j9t077I1sdybhdo1_1280.jpg (258 KB, 720x900) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nk8j9t077I1sdybhdo1_1280.jpg
258 KB, 720x900
>>7730618
>montblanc m
>calling others plebs
>>
>>7732542
Do you write using the mocha itself?
>>
Writemonkey is the best. Fuck all fancy BS.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.