[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got the Lovecraft collection in a single volume. Is there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: lovecraft.jpg (71 KB, 341x499) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft.jpg
71 KB, 341x499
Just got the Lovecraft collection in a single volume. Is there a good place to jump in, or should I just start at the beginning and work through? It seems like a lot of the early stuff is general spooky stories from his teen years and not related to the rest of his stuff.
>>
I'd recommend Dagon first. Pretty short, really nice imagery.

Don't just read straight through the whole book, you'll burn yourself out. I have the Barnes and Noble complete fiction and I save it for rainy days or spooky nights, mostly because I don't want to run out of Lovecraft to read
>>
Haha! Looks like we bagged another one boys!!

Lovecraft is a meme
>>
>>7721630
If you don't like giant spoopy monsters you can get the fuck out of my face fool
>>
Colour Out of Space is a good one. It shows how Lovecraft is good at describing the ethereal presences, and if you can stomach the human relations, bad dialogue and underwhelming action scenes, you will love the rest.
>>
>>7721609
>Don't just read straight through the whole book

I'm doing this. It can be a slog at times, Dream Quest was mind numbingly boring.

On the other hand, Call Of Chtulhu, Dexter Ward and Colour Out Of Space were fucking great.
>>
>>7721630
You don't get to speak for the entire board.
>>
>>7721630
niggerman
>>
>>7721593
How is the quality of the binding and paper, Op? looking to get this edition.
>>
>>7721683
It's great. The text is much larger and more comfortable to read than the Barnes and Noble leatherbounds I own, especially the Sherlock book. The cover is a silky material, and feels great in the hand. The only problem I had with mine is when closed the top right corner of the pages have a slight blue tint to them, as if some of the colouring has been transferred somehow. The paper and binding are great though, feels expensive.
>>
You can skip the first few stories without missing out on much. They're generic and fairly predictable spoopy stories, with twists you can see a mile away but are capitalised at the end of the story FOR MAXIMUM IMPACT. His prose is great though, and you can really see his progress as a writer throughout. You have to take into account that the first stories were written in his mid teens, so don't expect everything in there to be flawless.
>>
>>7721747

>the beast was.....A MAN!!!!!

cringed hard desu
>>
>>7721651
Dude Dream Quest is the best story he ever wrote.
>>
>>7721811

>and then the quepfourl from Ghratbot helped Carter beat the kazondalond of Tryuskjhj but then the gulbagop came and then...

Yeah right
>>
>>7721733
is it a hardcover or a paperback?
>>
>>7721828
ahahahahhahahahhaah ahahahahahahhaha omg ya wth
>>
>>7721630
Haha! Looks like we bagged another one boys!!

Lovecraft is a meme is the meme.
>>
>>7721895
Sorry for the late reply, but it's hardback and comes in a really sturdy cardboard-ish slipcase. If I take the book out, I can still put a considerable amount of force on the outer box without any give. It looks great on a shelf and isn't too heavy to sit and read for longer periods. After seeing how great it is for the price I'm looking to get some more of the Knickerbocker books. I assumed it would be fairly cheap since it's only £10 (less than half the price of the Barnes and Noble books) but it's comparable in "build quality" and easier on the eyes to read.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.