[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book /lit/? More importantly, is it good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: book.jpg (20 KB, 263x400) Image search: [Google]
book.jpg
20 KB, 263x400
Is this book /lit/?

More importantly, is it good?
>>
File: fedora atheist.png (78 KB, 500x444) Image search: [Google]
fedora atheist.png
78 KB, 500x444
>>
why don't you read it and find out
>>
It's amazing. Brings together math, music and science. Heavy going at times, but well worth it.
>>
Depends on your background. It's not completely /g/ or /sci/, but it's a beautiful work on the confluence of math, CS, music, and other shit.

If you're only interested in computability and self-reference from a CS point of view, check out Sipser.

>>7720574
I agree with this.
>>
I've read it and it made me believe in God at 58 years old. Still believing to this day.
- James
>>
>>7720507
I tried to read it on and off throughout the first couple of years of my undergrad, but I'm finally tackling it properly now. If any of the areas it covers interest you, then there's doubtlessly something in there which will be new.

It's heavy-going at time even with a bit of a background in logic, but Hofstadter repeats the point he's trying to make many times, in difference ways which makes it easier to digest. If it gets a bit too complicated and you struggle to follow his train of thought, the next chapter usually brings you back on board and moves you forward.
>>
File: Le Ton beau.jpg (13 KB, 220x269) Image search: [Google]
Le Ton beau.jpg
13 KB, 220x269
>>7720507

It's a fascinating, unique, thought-provoking book that's well worth it. It is properly /lit/ since it has an Aesop/Lewis Carroll angle.

Also, when this book comes up around here I bring up the author's Le Ton beau de Marot, which focuses on various aspects of the endeavor of translation. It's highly relevant to this board, and it has a humanity and poignancy beyond that in GEB. (I wish more people here would read this instead of whoever posts the mindless >translations whenever the topic comes up.)
>>
>>7720644

It sucks because I Am A Strange Loop is less masturbatory and more concise, but the catch is you have to read about his dead wife to no end.
>>
It's shit, that only fuels false understanding and theoretical mediocrity. After reading it most are convinced that they know what recursion, formal languages, and so on, inside and out are, when nothing could be further from the truth, as it often is with popsci books. To see them stutter and flounder for a meaningful answer, all you need to do is ask them a technical question about recursion theory.

>>7720588
Sipser is an entry-level undergrad book that lacks rigor. Why don't you try Rogers Jr. or Soare's textbooks.
>>
>>7720660
>Sipser is an entry-level undergrad book that lacks rigor
That's the point you inbred mongrel.
>>
>>7720680
wow you sure showed him xD
>>
Its ok, and so are the other Hofstadter books.
Now who would be authors in subjects related, or interesting in same way/style?
>>
>>7720789
Maybe Aaronson's Quantum Computing Since Democritus

You can read through the lecture notes here: http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/
The book has mostly the same content, but with a much more coherent structure of course.

Some people hate him with a passion, some people love it, most people really don't care
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 768x1024
It's not /lit/ but it's required reading, basically.

It explains sentience, but few people understood it. So Dougie wrote I Am A Strange Loop to attempt explaining it all over again. He solves the hard problem of consciousness, so it's absolutely worth taking seriously.
>>
pop science garbage so perfect for the non-stem retards here.
>>
>>7720834
I really really like this picture
>>
>>7720834

are you a psych undergrad perchance?
>>
>>7720863
Hahahahahaha no... An undergrad would be more concerned w/little sand grain studies that will never be replicated....
>>
>>7720872
Agreed
I didn't ask in jest or to be rude, honestly. I've had two different psych professors tell me this was their favorite book.
>>
>>7720822
Seconding Aaronson, he's mighty fine.

>>7720834
He doesn't explain anything once and for all. It's just his hypothesis and it doesn't seem to be correct on the fundamental level, according to later research.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.