[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New adquisition thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9
File: fanboy.jpg (1 MB, 2056x1371) Image search: [Google]
fanboy.jpg
1 MB, 2056x1371
You know the drill lads.
>>
Nice b9
>>
File: clockwork orange.jpg (69 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
clockwork orange.jpg
69 KB, 640x640
>>
>>7719089
what language is that?
>>
>>7719093
Portuguese.
>>
>>7719089
I don't recognize that edition. Brazil?
>>
>>7719063
>adquisition

should have picked up a dictionary as well
>>
File: hue.jpg (87 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
hue.jpg
87 KB, 800x600
>>7719098
Yes.
>>
File: 68.png (77 KB, 214x211) Image search: [Google]
68.png
77 KB, 214x211
>>7719063
>>7719089
>>7719110
Trolls stay on >>>/b/
>>
File: DSC_0020.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0020.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Haul from yesterday
a local news station was reporting from the bookstore about harper lee's passing while i was there
>>
>>7720900
What do you think about that Plato translation?
>>
>>7720925

This is my first Plato book, I asked on here about translations before but got no responses. The syntax and notes are great so far but Socrates repeats himself so much the sentences get lost on you without repeated reading.

Or maybe I'm just pleb-- I hadn't been reading much since my Beats phase in high school.
>>
>>7720900
I'll take the tea
>>
>>7720888
These are both appropriate books for a literature board.
>>
File: books.jpg (85 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
85 KB, 640x480
Blood Meridian -- McCarthy
The Sound and the Fury -- Faulkner
A Confederacy of Dunces -- Toole
Oblomov -- Goncharov
Duvel -- a brew
>>
>>7720936
Reminder that reading philosophy is not like reading literature. You are first and foremost reading an argument, designed to convince you of certain 'facts' or beliefs. Plato obfuscates his arguments through the use of dialogue, so it's important to try and ascertain what the argument he's trying to make is. Don't go reading this like a novel where you're simply following a story.

Useful link for more info:
http://existentialcomics.com/blog/1/How_to_study_philosophy_as_an_amateur

Particularly of note here is that this is why there is repetition. It's a technique normally use in oration, but repetition finds its way into philosophy as both an expository aid, and a technique to convince.
>>
>>7721115

Thanks for the link, and I had that in mind not to read it as leisure. I don't mean to imply I didn't get it at all after reading Euthyphro but that it definitely benefits from repeated reading.
>>
File: alas babylon.jpg (3 MB, 2992x4000) Image search: [Google]
alas babylon.jpg
3 MB, 2992x4000
>>7719063

Just picked this book up the color caught my eye. Then I did a quick google of the book I liked what I read, bought it
>>
>>7721253
Nice cover.
>>
>>7719063

Are the Haruhi novels still in print or something? Last I heard you are expecting to pay at least close to £20 for some of the early stuff since it's a niche item.
>>
File: IMG_20160220_202220573.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160220_202220573.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
From the past few months.
>>
File: dfdfdf.jpg (3 MB, 4192x3104) Image search: [Google]
dfdfdf.jpg
3 MB, 4192x3104
sadly I don't speak french
am I wrong in believing that french to german results in a better translation than french to english?
>>
>>7721850
french is a romance language, german and english are west germanic languages. britain was ruled by french speaking conquerors for centuries, lots and lots of words, structures and phrases of medieval french ended up in medieval english. the same happened when the english ruled half of france for centuries in turn, they still took over french words. there's a higher degree of kinship between the english and french language than german and french.

although prussia had french as court language for quite some time, it didn't nearly put as many phrases and words into general german language usage than english did.

in the end I can't say what's better though, with translations most of the time it's hit and miss, also dependant on when the translation was done. those german translations of a hundred and more years ago sometimes sound very stilted, but I feel they are generally better. newer ones sometimes sound very colloquial, examples are the new translation of the lord of the rings, which is frankly absolute shit compared to the older one, or the new translation of gogol's short stories, the older one from the 1950s sounds way better, the new one is full of shit.
>>
>>7721850
I don't think the translation will be any better. If you could read any other romance language (spanish, italian) you could get a decent translation.
Alternatively, if you have an e-reader you could read the ebook in french using the reader's translation feature. That's pretty much how I learnt some english - I'm still a long way to be proficient at it though...
>>
>>7722602
very insightful thank you very much
maybe I'll report back on the quality of the translation if the thread's still up
>>
>>7721850
Yes, grammatically french translates better to german, than french does to english.
>>
>>7724461
Also if you haven't read the original text then don't report on translations you moron.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.