[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which Tunnel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: tunnels.jpg (157 KB, 622x475) Image search: [Google]
tunnels.jpg
157 KB, 622x475
How do I pick between pic related? I'm moderately fluent in Spanish, and if I get Sabato's book I will read the Spanish and English translation side by side. So no need for a hurr 2016 and reading a translation comment.

I'm looking for some honest and thoughtful opinions on the literary merits of these two books, how they compare, who an ideal audience is, et cetera.
>>
File: fist-bump.jpg (90 KB, 655x500) Image search: [Google]
fist-bump.jpg
90 KB, 655x500
>>
>>7718687

Just read them both.
>>
>>7718872
I obviously will, but my queue is long and I'm a relatively slow/careful reader, so really my question is which of the above ought to be bumped up further in my queue?
>>
>>7718875

If you're gonna read them both anyway, does it matter? Flip a coin.
>>
>>7718875
Read Sabato first then. Take things easy before you take in Gass' 8.72-inch schlong.
>>
>>7718687
are these books connected in any way?
>>
>>7718901
Other than similar titles, no.
>>
>>7718687
I like tunnels
>>
>>7718687
I can't say much about Sabato's The Tunnel, but Gass' is among the most important works of the 20th century. First, to comment on its prose, which, compared to its content, is considerably easier to do, it is beautiful, stunning; Gass doesn't write--he composes: he considers each word--its sound, its meaning, and the weight it carries--and places it accordingly, creating systems of overlapping ideas and images. To comment on its content, which, even with the aid of Irving Malin's wonderful analysis--Into the Tunnel: a Reading of Gass's Novel--I've struggled greatly to understand, it is about as profound as it gets: it addresses the subjectivity of history, the importance of language and its intricacies, the relation between the word and what it represents; and it gives the reader the chance to poke around in the mind of a truly disgusting human being--the kind of mind that made the holocaust and its horrors possible. Hope this helps.
>>
>>7718982

top gassposting
>>
>>7718987
Just doing my job.
>>
>>7718901
Nope
>>
File: Wallace2.png (86 KB, 243x366) Image search: [Google]
Wallace2.png
86 KB, 243x366
>>7718982
Neato. Does Gass' "Tunnel" more or less stand on its own, or is it worth reading as a companion to any other books? I ask because I've only ever seen it talked here on /lit/, and never mentioned in conversation or any articles/literary criticism that I've read (in contrast to every one of the books in the meme trilogy), so I'm curious as to the context of Gass' book or why it's "among the most important works of the 20th century". i.e. the fact that something is a great work of art doesn't explain why it's "important".
>>
>>7718982
Gass is shit. Look at how dumb and boring Gass fans are.

I can't say much about Sabato's The Tunnel, but [author] is among the most important works of the [Xth] century. First, to comment on its prose, which, compared to its content, is considerably easier to do, it is beautiful, stunning; [author] doesn't write--he composes: he considers each word--its sound, its meaning, and the weight it carries--and places it accordingly, creating systems of overlapping ideas and images.

Yeah I'm sure this sweaty fat fuck was the first to put in a word or two based on how it sounds "and stuff."

> To comment on its content, which, even with the aid of [some critic] wonderful analysis--[Title]: a Reading of [author] Novel--I've struggled greatly to understand, it is about as profound as it gets: it addresses the subjectivity of history, the importance of language and its intricacies, the relation between the word and what it represents; and it gives the reader the chance to poke around in the mind of a truly disgusting human being--the kind of mind that made the holocaust and its horrors possible. Hope this helps.

Wow, great. Another overly long novel "about language, man, and meaning too!"
>>
>>7718687
Haven't read Gass but Sábato's tunnel is a short and great read. If you liked Notes from the Underground you'll probably dig it a lot. And while not groundbreaking, it's well written. That last passage will stick with me for a long time.
>>
Is there still no Gass's Tunnel in epub/mobi?
>>
>>7720097
I mean, yes, it does stand on its own, but if you want to read something with similar themes at the same time, I recommend Mason & Dixon, which can act as a nice reprieve from the The Tunnel.
>>
>>7720243
There's a pdf. If you want to, I can try to share it.
>>
>>7720230
Ah, cool. At first I didn't realize how short that one is, so it looks like a good candidate for an English/Spanish side-by-side.
>>
>>7720646
i'd love a pdf if there's one going desu
>>
>>7722150
I'm uploading, it's 77MB so it will take a while.
>>
>>7722150
Wait, never mind. There is a link at libgen:

http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=f9d0c7700eb2f729308f266ed1c5c708
>>
Just finished Sabato today and really enjoyed it. I don't know anything about the Gass novel but Sabato is very short: you'll finish it in less than 4 hours. So if you want something quick then go with Sabato, if you're looking for something you can become more immersed in then go with the Gass novel.
>>
>>7720202
Rekt
>>
PDF is unreadable on Kindle unless there is a trick? Senpai?
>>
>>7723711
Try changing/converting the file type.
>>
Sabato was a based man. He was a top tier scientific and left all that for literature. He was also a commie at some point
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.