[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone here into Fredric Jameson? Where do I start with him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
Is anyone here into Fredric Jameson?

Where do I start with him? Are his theories useful for understanding literature/lit type things in 2016?

I've decided to get into literary theory, and I like that he's marxist, but also seems to be beyond some of the easier marxist ideas like just looking at who is rich and poor or w/e in a text)
>>
wasn't he the cultural marxist who dropped marxism like a hot potato and switched to nationalism after the creation of israel? lol why would u study any shit but a scumbag like that
>>
I'm not into him, but he's nonetheless influential and should be studied if you want to go deep into theory. His essay "Postmodernism, or the Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism," is incredibly influential. It was quite controversial when it was first published, but looking back, I think he was very prescient on certain points.
>>
>>7716183
he petitioned Duke to divest from Israel, i think you're thinking of someone else, maybe Hitchens?
>>
>>7716220
hitchens wasn't even a published author before the creation of israel and he was never marxist, god damn u sir r a fuxing pleb
>>
>>7716220
>>7716230

u rite tho i was thinking of walter benjamin
>>
>>7716236
>An eclectic thinker, combining elements of German idealism, Romanticism, Western Marxism, and Jewish mysticism, Benjamin made enduring and influential contributions to aesthetic theory, literary criticism, and historical materialism.
> Benjamin expressed "My life experience led me to this insight: the Jews represent an elite in the ranks of the spiritually active ... For Judaism is to me in no sense an end in itself, but the most distinguished bearer and representative of the spiritual."
>>
>>7716230
he was almost always a trotskyite
>>
>>7716268
>trotskyite

menscheviks aren't marxist but counter revolutionary tools
>>
I'm not really interested as much in his politics, as I am his ideas on how to interpret literature.

this board gets too political too fast, and I'm not really sure why.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.