[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Southern Reach Trilogy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
Thoughts? I'm about to buy it because I liked the preview of the first book on Amazon and enjoy the genre in general.
>>
It's really good. Not much of a Vandermeer fan, but this kept my attention.
>>
I liked it but its just scifi, not a literary landmark.
>>
I've read the first two. I liked the setting of the first more, but the second was definitely more realized. It does look like it's entering the same spooky description black hole of unnameable, unspeakable, indescribable and unnatural spooks and feelings. I'm definitely interested in the third book just to see how it plays out.

I'm also excited to see these adapted to a show/movie, whichever way they're going with that project now.
>>
>>7715688
nice fedora you've got there on your head
>>
>>7715700
There's literally nothing wrong with that opinion.
>>
>>7715911
>just scifi
>literary landmark
calm your spooks
>>
>>7715911
There's literally nothing wrong with wearing a fedora, it still makes you look like a pretentious asshole with a superiority complex.
>>
Got some pretty bad reviews on Amazon. Pretty interested though
>>
>>7715959
True, but Amazon reviews are just one step above Youtube comments, which is why I'm asking here.
>>
>>7715911
NIce trilby jackass
>>
I was sceptical with all them meme gif covers and the release cycle, but I read some excerpt which seemed really interesting
>>
>>7716081
It really does, seems like it's got a nice sense of mystery going on.
>>
File: death.png (618 KB, 684x577) Image search: [Google]
death.png
618 KB, 684x577
>>7715586
>Jeffrey Scott VanderMeer (born July 7, 1968) is an American New York Times Best Selling...
nope
> He has won the Nebula Award, Rhysling Award, British Fantasy Award...
nope nope nope
>>
>>7717336
>wins awards within his field
>nope

???
>>
Only read the first one. It was sort of terrible. Nothing really happens. You don't learn anything. All of the plot points are super predictable from the first 50 pages and don't play out until the last 50 pages. Prose are not good enough to make up for this.

Is that last book the trilogy together? Very cool looking book.
>>
File: annihilation.jpg (151 KB, 974x487) Image search: [Google]
annihilation.jpg
151 KB, 974x487
>>
File: strollin.gif (260 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
strollin.gif
260 KB, 320x240
Where lies the strangling fruit that came from the hand of the sinner I shall bring forth the seeds of the dead to share with the worms that gather in the darkness and surround the world with the power of their lives while from the dim-lit halls of other places forms that never could be writhe for the impatience of the few who have never seen or been seen. In the black water with the sun shining at midnight, those fruit shall come ripe and in the darkness of that which is golden shall split open to reveal the revelation of the fatal softness in the earth. The shadows of the abyss are like the petals of a monstrous flower that shall blossom within the skull and expand the mind beyond what any man can bear
>>
First book is a solid 3 1/2 to 4 stars. The rest go down from there.
>>
>>7718491
these charts are the only way I decide whether to read a book or not
>>
Cool book cover. Cool premise. Disappointing book.

(Only read the first)
>>
You need to take a look at The Weird (edited by VanderMeer) to see where he comes from - he's all dug up in "weird" fiction, which touches elements of horror, but never really goes there, where an atmosphere of uncanny reality dominates, where things happen for seemingly no reason and are never explained, for to look behind the curtain is to dispel the illusion.

If you read for a self-contained story with a clean solution he'll disappoint you. If you're looking for "uncanny atmosphere" he may scratch an itch that hasn't been scratched since Lovecraft died.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.